Punto tuning tips

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
OK so I'm planning an article on the Punto. All input and comments are very welcome.

Which puntos represent the best base for tuning?
Which engine swaps are readily achivable?
Recommended suspension mods and wheel size?
What is on your tuning tips list in order of importance?

Any advice to people buying a mk1,2 etc model with things to look out for.

What exactly do you want to know?

Mk1 Punto GT is the best base for tuning by a long shot. After that the Mk2 JTD is pretty tuneable, and developments ae being made all the time with the newer 1.4 T-jet and 1.9 M-jet. HGT can't be remapped and there's not much gain to be had out of the smaller engines.

Engine swaps

Big topic. GT conversions (from smaller engined models 60s etc etc) are probably the most common as running donor GT's with poor bodywork can be picked up for peanuts.

16VT from the Fiat Coupe will fit into a Mk1 and Mk2 with custom mounts and some slight loom splicing. Use the 16VT gear linkage. Exhaust needs to be adapted also. Further details can be provided. There's a few about and more currently being built.

20VT from the Coupe will also fit but some cutting needs to be done to the chassis legs so it's wise to leave that one alone unless you know what you're doing. As such, I won't explain it any further.

1.4 GT engine into the Mk2 has also been done but only once as far as I know by a lad in Malta that uses it for hillclimbs.

Loads of other engines and combination can and have been done. Turbo-charged 1.6 16V bravo engine is underway for example, and the Sporting (90) 1600 bottom end can be used with an otherwise GT engine and some custom work to create a 1.6 GT.

As with all engine swaps uprated brakes and suspension are recommended and pretty much essential tbh. Brembo 4-pots from a coupe are a common swap, requiring custom brackets.

Wheel size

17" will fit the Mk1 and Mk2 with rolled arches. Looks crap though and has a detremental affect on handling and steering. 15's are perfect for performance imo whilst 16's arguably look the best.

Buying advice and common problems

Mk1 - Getting on a bit now. Rust seems to be the biggest issue as with many cars of this age. Check around the windscreen, rear wheel arches and alongside the sills and chassis rails as these are notorious. Red key is needed to code new keys and important in case the ECU throws a hissy fit.

Mk2 - Wiper linkages always going common fault. Power steering failing also very common. Apart from that they're pretty sound.

Not really sure about the Grande's, don't really see them as proper Puntos.

Last edited:
As with most things, depends on budget. As far as bang-per-buck goes so to speak a full Seb2 setup as it's called is the way to go. This consists of an uprated cone or panel filter, 2.25" or larger downpipe back exhaust including decat, decent boost controller, FMIC and Power on the Road Seb2 chip. Running 1.2bar boost should see ~170bhp on a good engine and make for a 15 second flat quarter mile on average. Seb2s drive a lot better on and off boost, and achieve better fuel economy than standard. It is possible to upgrade the turbo to a TT Stage 1 like I did. The highest Seb2 figure I know is 185bhp and 14.5 quarter with a TT Stage 1. Full interior.

You're looking at as little as £300 for the whole setup if you pick up everything second hand but in good condition.

Past that there is Seb4.1, which requires a Seb4 chip, hybrid turbo (GT25R sort of size), custom elbow uprated fuel pump and regulator and larger injectors on top of Seb2 spec. This should see at least 200bhp, but the highest I've seen with this setup is 226bhp with 2.5" elbow and downpipe. Again, standard internals.

Even further a field means management, and when you get that far the possibilities are massive.

Last edited: