Punto tuning discussion

Joe

Car
Punto 1.3Multijet
Re: General engine tuning tips (VERY General)

Anyone ever hear about remapping a 1.3 diesel punto??

On the subject of Puntos, mine's a petrol one and needs a lot of pushing to get moving.I have seen items advertised on the net called "vortex generators" sort of mini turbo fans and chip tuning stuff.Are these basically bolt on tuning mods that actually work? Comments opinions appreciated .

I got the impression a remap is only going to be of any benefit if the motor has a turbo fitted.
Vortex generators are claimed to give between 7 to 12.5% increase in power. On my car that may make a difference. I think they cost about 30 quid and even a girle can fit one.
Do you know of any that have been independently tested?

an easy way to look at it

if they claim they can get 7 to 12% lets go middle ground and say 10% ( its easy to work with ) your punto would be looking at around 8 bhp with my bora 18bhp for £30 .now a £230 k&n kit claims that it will give me around 10bhp and they have dyno graphs to back up a £600 full exhaust system wil give me around 10 as well. if it works why doesnt car manufactures add them as standard.

the likes of intake filter exhausts and the engine map are constrained by the manufactures simply because people dont look after their cars, also noise regs and emissions

fitment will be easy itll just be a case of removing intake pipe inserting and a couple of jubilee clips

for the price of getting youre 1.3 diesel chipped, why not buy a punto GTT rear end write off and swap the engine, loom running gear ect...