Punto JTD Engine Swap

bak

Car
Mercedes A170 CDI
Hi readers, I'm new to this forum and have an idea which I welcome you all to comment on. Performance and economy. Take the 1910cc JTD engine and turbo (85 bhp) out of a Punto and replace it with the 1910cc 16V engine and turbo (150 bhp) from an Vauxhall Astra/Vectra/Signum (and others) (designated 1.9 cdti) or Saab 9-3 (1.9 tid) or Fiat/Alfa Romeo (1.9 Multijet). The 1910cc block is shared among all these cars and I'm presuming is interchangeable. There is a tuning module available from Vauxhall themselves which remaps the 150 bhp unit to about 200 bhp. This was installed in the Thurlby Astra 888. As the Punto 1.9 JTD weighs about 1075 kg, I'd estimate the new engine would accelerate the car to 62 mph in less than 6 seconds, with 100 mph coming up in around 13 seconds. I'd also estimate the economy to be over 50 mpg overall if driven with economy in mind. It's just an idea but:

1. Are the engine mounts the same?
2. Would the fuel pump need changing at the same time?
3. Are the wiring looms the same?
4. Would the gearbox need to be changed and if so, would the six speed unit commonly mated to the more powerful engine, fit?
5. Would the standard drive shafts cope?

I've probably missed other considerations, so would welcome advice, having never done anything like this before.

Basic costings:

Car: £1,000
Engine inc turbo and fuel pump: £1,200
Six speed box: £300
Professional Fitting: £600
Total: £3,100 (but say, £3,500)

Cheers ;)

I would say that the fuel mount would need to be upratesd depending on the lb/hour rating but more power = more fuel, I would say the looms will be different if not then the only thing you will have to look at is the MAP sensor,

Gearboxes are unknown quantities the best thing to do is try if you have the box already try it if it fails then the six speed will be the next thing

I think exhaust is and issue but if you have the welding gear it shouldnt be to hard to modify.

Do you mean the Vauxhall C20xe lump?

Do you mean the Vauxhall C20xe lump?

Hi AutoCustomEng, thanks for the reply. From a search on Google, I think [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vauxhall's C20XE was a 1998cc 16 valve petrol motor producing 150bhp and 144lb ft of torque as standard, produced in the early 90s. The motor I'm talking about is the 1910cc 16 valve Z19DTH diesel unit used from about 2003/4 in Fiats, Alphas, Vauxhalls and Saabs. So, basically I'd be looking at changing the engine for one of the same size (effectively an uprated version of the original block with 16 valve head and stronger internals). I thought this would be a straight uncomplicated swap requiring no chassis mods.

As regards the gearbox, do you think the six speed unit would fit without any problems?
[/FONT]