Pug 106 wont idle when cold

wolfmankurd

Track Warrior
Car
Renault Clio 1.2
Hey guys,

Just been having a bit of trouble with my 106, this morning it started fine but stalled once to twice and felt a bit rough. Stopped off for some petrol and from then on it just wouldn't idle, the second my foot was off the gas the rpm's plummeted and the car stalled! I managed to keep it going by keeping my foot on the gas to keep it at about 1-2k rpm.
Also the engine was lacking power, I couldn't hit 50 mph in 4th and I was even loosing speed on a slight incline when I put the pedal to the floor.

Now a few hours later and it's running like a dream! Any ideas? Someone suggested that the empty tank made it drag up some muck when has now cleared, and while there's been a LOT of possibilities from a google search nothing quiet sounds right, or matches with something I can find a in the Haynes manual.

It was very cold this morning ~8.30am and the windows were all frosty but when it really acted up the frost had melted. Could that be important? On the other hand it cleared up later when presumably the engine was cooler than after the 20minute drive.

Any help is very welcome!

Ali

Last edited:
For some reason I can't edit the above post. But I thought I'd add what I've considered so far for future generations.

Throttle body icing Not too sure what this is but apparently the symptoms fit very well. I think the throttle is frozen in a state.

Muck in the fuel line since the tank was nearly empty before the problem really happened.

Blocked fuel line, line filter pickup filter whatever they are calling it.

I've had this same problem with my 106 recently when it was low on fuel and cold. When left at idle the revs
where up n down like a yo-yo and if I put the throttle down fully nd released it would just stall out. It turns out tht it was just the bad fuel that had been in the tank a while and the cold had caused it to deteriorate more. I ended up draining the fuel tank to clear it out and now run fuel cleaner through it regularly. Seems to have done the trick.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back