Proton Jumbuck 1.5l

maves

Car
Jumbuck
Hi im Ben, i own a proton jumbuck ute, its a 1.5L and it really lacks some balls. Sitting in 5th doing 100/kmh approaching a hill and it starts dropping down to 80kmh with my foot flat to the floor.

I want to add some low cost mods that will give it more get up and go. With a nice grunt, somewhat similar to a suburu wrx/evo

Ive heard little about k & n pod induction kits, extractors/ sports performance exhaust, throttle body spacers from friends but dont know what to add that would best help me achieve more power and grunt.

Cheers,
Ben

hey and welcome to the site mate.

to put it nicly you aint got a chance of getting the grunt you want from a 1.5.

panel filters (induction kit will make you lose power on such a small engine) and full perfromance exhaust - exhaust manifold, sports cat, centre section and back box - will give you around 8 bhp more.
problem you have is you could spend thousands to get the 1.5 a gain of maybe 30 bhp. yet you can pick up some of the old suberus for around a couple of grand.

another option is forced induction - super or turbo charging. supercharging can be done relitivly easy without any major internal mods however you would have to run low boost so wouldnt see a big gain. you try to put to much boost through and youll be picking up your engine from the street.
turboing requires more work as you need to craft custom exhaust, coolant and oil lines.
lower the compression within the engine to a more sensible amount, strenghing the internals and then custom map.

best bet would be to do an engine swap to something with some grunt, remember you would also need to upgrade suspension and brakes to cope.

it was serviced last wkend, theres nothing wrong its just the car hasnt got the balls in it to get up the hill in 5th gear sitting on 100kmh. if i drop it back to 4th it slowly climbs back up but its a pain in the ass

start with some basics then like the panel filter exhaust and fuel presure regulator (FSE, power boost valve, goes under quite a few names)

fuel presure regulator? what does that do? sorry if i sound stupid for asking but im a bit illiterate when it comes to cars, i know a lil bit but not a great deal

cheers
Ben

regulates the fuel pressure to the injectors, if it goes over the preset level (most cars run around 3 bar in petrol and around 1600bar in new diesel yes bar not psi) then the excess fuel is returned to the fuel tank.
an uprated one, ie 4 bar, will not increase performance greatly but will make throttle more responsive

The engines could benefit from porting and polishing and larger valves if you are serious about getting a power gain from it. Overall I doubt you'll get more than another 15% power gain without spending over $2000/£1400

Where are you from Ben?

Cool. I guess your summer is just about finished now :( Time to work on the car and get it ready for the next season!;)

G'day Ben, pushing the proverbial up hill with a Jumbuck, mate (I know, I've got one). Designed for fuel economy, not performance.

Mike

other forum link removed as per terms and conditions