Pros and cons of classic cars

billyo

Track Warrior
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a classic car?

Are the Stags or MGB GTs cheap to run for example?

This is a good question. I often get asked why I prefer Older classic cars to running a newer car like a focus or astra.

Based on my own personal experiences.

Pro's;
1) Classic insurance is MUCH cheaper than that of a newer car. £220 for a 1970 Yank V8 Muscle car, £120 for the 1982 Chevette and 300 for the 1976 Lotus. Total insurance of £640 (approx) for 3 very cool cars. I hate to think how much the insurance would be on a new Elise on its own.

2) Once you have found the right website/supplier, parts are ready available and shockingly cheap (e.g. full chassis for the Lotus £400, full shell £250)

3) If the car is built before january 1st 1973 (regardless if it was registered after) you get free tax.

4) There's nothing you can't fix yourself on your drive.

5) Most classic cars are supercool before you start, you don't need to buy orrible bumpers and spoilers from halfords to turn heads with them.

6) if you keep them nice they very rarely depreciate and will sell for the same as you bought them for 5 years ago if not more.

Cons..... erm.....

1) reliability can be an issue if they have been neglected in the past. But this is no major con (refer to pro No. 4)

2) They may not do as much mpg compared to a newer car. But work out how much extra fuel you put in, and work out how much you may save on expensive garage & parts bills and on insurance.

v good info fingers.

about the classic insurance and tax,

if i were to, say, get a classic car, i,e a 1971 capri, that would be on classic insurance and tax, if i were to stick new suspention,breaks and a new-ish engine, like say from a 944 turbo.

would it still be on the classic insurance and tax?

tax goes on what car it is when reg

and insurance is cheap does not matter what you do

my trans am is a lot cheaper then any of my later cars tax is the same 180
but like fingers said there is nothing you cant fix and bits are so cheap even from the states and there is nothing you cant get

cool so modding a classic car (tastfully i hope, dont want to ruin a classic) shouldnt push the insurance up too much.

on another note, you know rally cars and racing cars have got a flat belly,
i.e have a metal sheet going all the way under the car stoping bits getting chucked up and ruining the stuff running under the car and helping with aerodinamics, how hard would that be to do to a car and would it cost a lot?

No man, thats cool. I'd love one of those and was recently looking for a 2000E untill I found the Lotus. I'd loose the wheels though. Big rims on retro motors look poo! the biggest that should have is 14's. A set of old Wolfrace Slotmags would look the nuts on there.

:) yeah i love it too.

i recon you could easy fit a V8 in there.

what are the like to corner with??

as being fairly old i wouldnt think that they would keep up with modern cars, but being rear wheel drive you can just kick the rear out and power round the corner :p

i have been trying to find the best car i can for a first.
i would love that but i would hate it at the first time. being my first car i would HATE to prang it. i want a rear wheel drive car but my options are far and few between cos the modern ones are pretty pricey or high insurance, the cortina being rear wheel and a classic should be a bit lower on the insurance that modern rwd cars, plus no tax to pay, plus it looks to be race ready :D could be interesting on a track day facing off against the likes of focus st's and civic type R's.

a 2000E was in ashes to ashes wasnt it?

a nice car.

you got pics of your eclat yet?? there a pretty looking car, although a bit to pointy for my liking, still a good car.

does it run? and if it does what are you going to do with the engine after you put the porche one it? or are you going to keep the lotus one

This ones staying unmolested apart from the PiperX filters it already has. The Porsche engine went with the rest of the car. Getting rid was such a horrible thing to decide to do I just shifted all that was sitting on the drive before I changed my mind and looked at it for another 12 months.

Yes it does run (and makes the most awsome noise a 4 pot ever could) but it has been standing for a few years and it has some nigglies that need sorting, so it will be a few weeks before it hits the road. Hopefully, if I get my private jobs done in time, I will pull all the wheels off on sunday and see whats what underneath and compile a list of what needs doing and a shopping list of parts. I will take some photo's over the weekend and post them.

I love to see classic cars in everyday use. I wish I had the patience to use one myself. They're full of character. Unfortunately, character also often means unreliable, prone to rust and water ingress and oil puddles in the drive. SO, for now, until I sort out my own issues I'll take modern, boring and soul-less.

My choice of classic is modest by most standards. I fancy an early 1980's Ford Granada 2.8i Ghia X. Saloon model, metallic blue colour. They're pretty lively, too. 150, maybe 160bhp but cars were much lighter then.

Even a carb fed one would suffice.

aye, i agree with the problems, i know all about those heh

the granada 2.8i's were pretty quick for the day, not too sad now, i was looking at a 2.9carb capri powered cortina, tis in an earlyer post for the ebay link if you want a look. v nice

i would have to get a tax exempt classic if i were going to get one, still might, although i am being swayed to buy a 1.6XS pug 206 as its only an insurance group 5, tis the killer with new drivers, huge insurance :(

have that for a year get some ncb then get me a good classic.

has anyone had and positive or negative contact with capri's?
I've heard that they like to spin out a lot and are a handful to drive fast.

Last edited:
I have always driven classics on classic insurance and have never had any ncb. I had only had a full licence for a month and 3 days when I bought the 'Lee' and that cost me £213.15 for the insurance. :blink: I have only had my licence for 4 years (I was 25 when I took my test, long story) and still have no ncb as everything is on classic insurance and I have a quote on the Lotus for £315. Mad innit, £315 to insure a supercar. :bigsmile:

thats amazingly cheap for a 5.7 V8 fingers.

an i might stand a chance of getting a classic mk3 cortina with a 2.9 V6 then.
havnt done a quote cos adrien flux might get a bit annoyed with me ringing up so much an not getting a policy :p

and what engine does the eclat have fingers?

is a four pot isnt it?

i understand that but the one i was looking at had the capri 2.9 V6 in it aswell as a few other tasty mods, and as i didnt do it i should be as much of a risk as if i had done it myself.

but i understand what you are saying.

have been trying to look for a classic V8 but there all too damn expensive or just not what im looking for:sad2:

idealy i would want a 1967 mustang fastback.
or a plymouth cuda 440 6 pack
but thats really not going to happern any time soon unless i find a run down one and do it up while i am driving around in a 1.2 banger so what i save running that i can spend on the muscle.

Austin Maestro MG Turbo, 15-20years old, valued at £500, 5000 miles a year, parked on my drive = £234.47.

Classic policies as a general rule are not interested in the state of the car. They ask for Make, model, value of vehicle, how old you are and expected mileage. A classic is a classic regardless of condition or what make it is. One mans turd is another's treasure.

The eclat is a 2.2 4 cylinder twin cam 16valve jobby with twin 45mm dellorto's. Factory spec is 160bhp, 180lbsft torque and 0-60 in 7ish. 30 years and 90,000 miles later mines probably a bit lame compared to that.

so more powerful than the porche engine you had??

are you going to recon the engine at all? stick some aftermarket parts onto it for extra power or going to keep it standard.

the big question is are you going to take it to the strip?

a little Q.

how hard/much money would it take to put a powersteering pump an all the shpeel into a car that did not have one?
same for abs, and would abs need an ecu to run?

If poers steering was never an option on that model, it would be very expensive as a conversion kit would have to be sourced or even designed, fitting it would be an arse as you would need to find or make space for the pump and power rack.

ABS would be even worse and yes, ABS systems have a electronic controll unit. Both of these would be headache city and I personally wouldn't bother, I have never driven anything that feels like it needs either that it hasn't already got.

The Lotus engine has 25bhp over the std porsche engine. If I find a spare engine for the right money I will recon a spare wnd swap them over but I have no immediate plans to do so. and no I willnot be altering this, it is the only car I have ever had where I do not believe it needs anything doing. And yes it will probably do the 1/4 mile at some piont just out of interest to see how she does.

might have to leave it then if its real pricy.

as your nearish to me do you know of any places to get classics from that need work doing that are sort of close (100 miles sort of)? or did you have to source the eclat down?

I just went on ebay. I searched within classic cars, put in my maximum budget and started with the nearest first. If you go to classic car dealers you will pay too much, your far better buying privatley

Buying a pre 1973 car with a 7 litre engine and then expecting classic car insurance prices when you want to cover 40,000 miles a year commuting and business.

Many classic policies ask if the car has been modified though. Reconditioning and rebuilding is expected but modifications can be a problem with some.

Generally you have to be over 25, pleasure use only, limited mileage, agreed value in advance based on photos and or engineers report. I've seen policies for cars that are 15 years old branded as classic car insurance.

(Sorry just a bit of info from my insurance past. Try www.millardsinsurance.co.uk for a quote - they have got some pretty good classic deals (I used to work with the owner so mention my name and you will get looked after;))