>>>>project nova!<<<<

RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS NOVA AS A STANDARD BORING OLD 1.2 , I HAVE ALREADY STARTED WORK ON IT THOU.... I HAVE LOWERED IT BY 100MM, NICE SET OF BLACK 14 INCH RIMS, NEW UPRATED FRONT BRAKES, , NEW ANTI ROLL BAR FRM A GSI, FULL BODY RESRAY, FRONT GRILL, FRONT BUMPER FRM A NOVA SR, BACK BUMPER FRM AN SRI LOL( I LIKE TO BE DIFFRENT)

IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS I AM PUTTIN A 1.6 GSI ENGINE IN IT AND STRIPPING IT OUT AND FITTING A BUCKET SEAT... TELL ME WHAT U THINK NOVAS AINT EVERYS CUP OF TEA BUT IVE ALWAYS LIKED THEM ALREDI PUT QUITE ALOT OF WORK INTO THIS BUT PLENTLY MORE TO COME.... I WILL POST MORE PICS UP WEN THE NEW GSI LUMP IS IN! :mrgreen::cool::mrgreen::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin has a Nove gsi with a 2 litre engine in it as he kept blowing the 1.6 up. Try an source a 2 litre from an Astra Gte. I'm sure that they aren't that difficult to fit. Plus you'd have a whole lot more grunt.

Ive always liked them. Nice little cars with good handling if they are setup right. It should fly with the GSi engine in it. What gearbox are you using? The 1.3SR is low ratio but i dunno if it will fit on that engine.

liked these models.Old style always the best.keep it looking like that.2.0 astra gte engine thrown with low ratio gear box.strip seats out back put couple bucket seats in.Get the handling set up and good brake set set up and youve got a ur self a big(well small) ass sleeper.Show them beamers,audis etc up at the lights it"l be so much fun

i have been looking into fitting a 2.0 litre in there, the only thing holding me back is insurance i want to get quotes on what it is gunna cost before i fit somthing i carnt get insured in.... if however insurance is to high on the 2.0 litre i will have to go for the 1.6 engine but dont worry will not be leaving that standard as it is much more tunable than the engine in there now, will also keep the gearbox that is in there now so i can get more accleration, which is what im after not worried about having a high top end.

i know that a 100mm drop seems alot and i would usually not adivse this but it does handel really well,(been havin a lot of fun chucking it into corners) because i have dropped it so low i have not fitted massive wheels, only 14s and the car doesnt rub on the wheel archs when i go over speed bumps ect, but u can feel every bump in the road which is not always comfortable but i think it all adds to the nova effect lool i am stripping out the interior torrow and fitting a cobreau bucket seat, also an sri steering wheel is going in .:D

I was talking to a bloke the other day about his nova,He was on about the suspension set up and lowering of his.If set up right they handle like their on rails,He couldnt belive the speeds he could go in at corners.he said it stuck to the roads like glue.Looks like ya gunna have plenty of fun with it mate.

You sound like a man with a plan. Do keep us informed as to the progress of your project. I'll watch this one with interest.

lol yer cheers everyone for the intrest and yes i do have big plans for it, i will keep posting pics and updates as i go along.... been working on it this weekend.... i have stripped out the interior, and have fitted a corbeau bucket seat and an sri steering wheel, still alot more to do thou!

hey fellas i no i aint given any updates or posted any pics on the nova for a while but dont worry i have been busy working on it and i will post some pics up hopefully by the end of this week....

ok finally here are some pics of my little nova project, have not had the time to get as much done as i would of liked to but here what ive been doing so far....

Make it easier for peeps buddy i'll try posting them for you.
th_IMG_0033.jpg

th_IMG_0035.jpg

th_P030509_1637.jpg

th_Photo0275.jpg

th_Photo0276.jpg

Wheel before pic.
th_Photo0280.jpg

Wheel after pic.
th_IMG_0008.jpg

Snap on key.
th_Photo0281.jpg

There you go buddy.

yer thanks tn for that, thats good of you
dont no y they didnt wanna load up hopefully next time i will be able to!
yer wayne have been having lots of fun with it, been really busy sorting out the RUST, door locks,wheels,lights ....
but at the moment its basically just the shell there, ive removed the engine,(hopefully new one will be in tomorrow or next week) inteior is out, bumpers are off lol but not to worry will have it on the road soon!

Your very Welcome buddy.
The cars looking as though your making good progress mate. Nice it's good to see someone getting there hands dirty and getting stuck in. As with every modded car build there is always problems so I hope you get away with not too many of them. ;)
Good luck with the project mate and do keep us updated. I think this will turn out to be an interesting car and an interesting read for alot of people.
Keep up the good work buddy.

yer thanks m8 i have been making good progress, ive had a few problems, but on the whole its been going well so far
i have refitted the cars inteior, sorted the door locks and sorted most of the rust loool
i have just rebuilt the new engine thats going to be going in, so its had new headgasket, head bolts, cambelt,water pump,new oil,filter plugs ect.. so its all ready to go! i will post some pics up when when its in! thanks again TN. :)

must have spent some serious dollar on that engine matey! that was when it was standard though!
my GTE was rebuilt from the bottom up, was running 182 BHP before we chipped it, reckon about 198 after. all i know is a 280bhp scooby didnt have a chance!
the astra ended up stripped out weighing 925kgs, so power to weight ratio was about 215BHP p/ton! not bad for an old shed! lol

must have spent some serious dollar on that engine matey! that was when it was standard though!
my GTE was rebuilt from the bottom up, was running 182 BHP before we chipped it, reckon about 198 after. all i know is a 280bhp scooby didnt have a chance!
the astra ended up stripped out weighing 925kgs, so power to weight ratio was about 215BHP p/ton! not bad for an old shed! lol

Thats why the XR2 was so quick. Stripped out. Cams, bigger carb, 4 branch manifold, and fat straight pipe all the way through. No boxes on exhaust except tail pipe. Fuel pump was swapped for a better one. Oh and it had a custom forced induction kit on too. Lowered suspension, strut braces. It was a proper toy.
And no it was all done for under a grand actually. Weighed practically nothing so power to weight was also very good on it.

sounds like a lil beast mate. its always nice to reminisce (however ya spell it!) on old cars eh!

anyhow, back on topic, your nova should be sweet fella, keep up the good work!

yer i am too an fan of the old xrs as well, i have owned an xr2i in the past and that was a fun little toy! surprised quite alot of people at the lights aswel! hopefully when im done wiv the nova it will be able to do the same! oh yer i have fitted the engine today, well ive got the old one out and got the new engine and gearbox mounted and bolted in at least! lol will post some pics up soon!

Hi all, just a quick note to say this thread has been moved to our new projects/wip forum within the gallery.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back