Problems starting when Engine Hot - Help MK4 Mondeo 1.8 TDI

marcward

Car
Mondeo MK4 1.8 TDI
Hi all,

I really do hope someone can help as this problem is getting me really annoyed and I am worried the costs of repair may spiral out of control and the costs may not end and even the dealer is struggling to find the problem out. Someone please help me,

I have a Mondeo 1.8 TDI Titanium X 07 reg with keyless start and Conv + which I really do like and I would like to keep if I can get this problem sorted out.

Last week, I had to call the RAC out to start my car up. The problems seems to be when the car has been used and I go to restart the engine whilst the car is still warm. The car will not start & sometimes struggles to start when the car is hot/ warm & been used. For example, I can start it up no problems each morning because the car is cold. I can drive 10 mins away and go to start the car again and it will either struggle or it will not start at all. The RAC guy seemed to think it was to do with the CAM Sensor, so he replaced this and the car seemed to start up straight away. I drove home, still not convinced, so when I got home I stopped the car and then restarted it, and the same problem occured, it would not start, so I called back the RAC guy and he came straight out and looked at my car again and done some checks and basically said the battery was fine as it was trying to start no problems, so he advised he though there was a error code in ECU stopping it from working, and advised me to take it to garage and see if there is any codes and get them removed as the RAC guy could not access my ECU for some reason with his laptop.

So, basically I took it to my local garage, who checked it all over, no codes on machine, looked for any leaks or problems and could not find any problems, but they said the Fuel Injector leak off pipes looked as if it was drawing in air which maybe the problem and so basically I got these replaced but the problem is still there. I then took the decision to get it sorted by a Ford dealer. My car has been in the Ford Dealer since Tuesday and its still not fixed, they have check for error messages and there is no message appearing. The Ford dealer have spoke to Ford Technical as by the sound of it they are strugfgling to find out what the issue is. They are now doing Wiring checks which they hope to find out what the problem is. Apparently when the car is hot (which is when the car will not restart), the fuel pressure is 1000 instead of 200.....to be honest this means nothing to me as I know nothing about cars, so they seem to think this could be causing the car not to start again.

I have had some work done on it 2 weeks ago as I have a Fuel Injector leak which was dripping onto the exhaust and bring up horrible fumes into the cabin of the car which myself and my family were breathing in each day. Anyway basically my local garage replaced the Fuel Injector Seal which seems to have done the trick. On the morning of the repair before I took my car to the garage I had No power at all going to the car. My wife was due to take the car into the garage and managed to open the car but there was no power or lights on the dash or radio. It was completely dead. Anyway she locked the car and I came back from work to try and get the car at the garage. When I went to open the car, It would not open with the remote so I had to use the key in the fob to access the car. When I got inside the car, again the car was completely dead.....in the end I had to jump start the car. A week later I started to get the problem above where I have had no more flat battery problems but now I get the problem where the car will not start after its been used for 10 mins or so (when temperature of the car is warmed up). The battery is turning and trying to start the car no problems each time, so its doesnt seem to be a problem with the battery.

I was reading something about a HOT START PCM update but dont know much about it. Could this be the issue?? Any help would be greatfully apprcieated......this is driving me and my family crazy.
Thanks

first thing we tried and it was not that......ended up being PCM, and costs me a fortune in total to get fixed! 3 weeks at the Ford Garage and had Ford Technical people come out to look at it.