pro chip, DIY or Re-map???

shuggy69

Car
206 hdi 1.6 sport
Hello all you Diesel experts out there.
I am in a major dilemma!
I want to tune me HDI but want the best value for money (bang for buck).
From the home work I have done I seam to have three options:-
1. A Pro fitted chip (tuning box), my local DPT dealer has offered to do it for £280
2. A DIY chip (tuning box) at between £99 and £150 from e-bay. Is there any difference between a DPT chip and an e-bay chip? (If not which company chip do I go for as I don’t want a resistor in a box).
3. A pro remap. Celtic tuning has quoted me £300 if I go to them in Newquay.

OK so option 1 I can sell the chip on if and when I sell the car, Option 2 an unknown to me but if the chips do the same thing as option 1 then it looks like 15mins work will save me up to £181 or am I missing something.
And option 3 means the tune up is totally undetectable and a bit more personnel. Is that worth the extra cash I don't know please help.

All three options advertise a very similar power and torque increase

Have I missed any other options available to me? What would you do (or have you done)?

For the record my car is a 206 1.6HDI.

Thanks, Shuggy

Last edited:
Hey an welcome shuggy.

options 1 and 3 are pretty much the same. one is done through the diagnostic port the other is taking the eu apart removing the chip and soldering a new one in place.

Option 2 id bin straight away. if you do actually end up with a proper chip youll have to remove your ecu, pull it apart, remove your old chip and solder in the new one yourself. just remember that if you mess up and short it out youll need a new ecu which will cost a bit more than the £180 youd save. it might also be a piggy back system.

Option 3 - it is still detectable if its looked for. Just incase your thinking of not telling the insurance company

Should have also said HDI fun had his 406 2.2 HDI remapped and its on celtic tunings website
And another member had his 2.0 HDI done by them as well hes also impressed.

they are also on my shortlist however nearest retailer is 90 mile away

Hi
I may have miss led you by calling option 1 and 2 chips. They are both plug in boxes somewhere under the bonnet. They do not involve dismantling the ECU.

Shuggy

Avoid plug in boxes - they're crap. Celtic got 192bhp from my 2.2 HDi. The torque is silly, over 320lbft. It is genuinely quick now.

My car's been in celtic tune since April 2006 and I've piled 70,000 miles on it since then.

Highly recommended.

Must add that the BHP figure was taken on a dyno with BP Ultimate and double dose of Millers power sport 4. Celtic quote 178bhp, which I think is conservative

You really can't beat a custom remap on a car. Piggy back devices are little more than a compromise if they work properly.

Piggy back devices interfere with input data to the ECU thereby causing it to offer up more fuel erroneously. I far prefer the idea of having the fuelling controlled properly and a custom remap does this very well.