Private plates and spacing.

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
What are your feelings on private plates and bending the law regarding spacing?

I know what is legal, but what are you feelings on spacing a plate to XXX X XX instead of XXX XXX for example? Imo this should be perfectly legal, as it doesn't affect the reading of the number plate whatsoever. I don't, however agree with making numbers/letters look like others.

Has anyone has any experiences with dodgy number plates and the 5-0?

Only asking as I've seen a plate but to make any sense it would need to be XXX X XX instead of XXX XXX.

I have to agree with you on this. If the plate doesn't contain the letters you need then don't try to make it fit by adding dots or bending letters.

I'm a little more relaxed where the spacing is slightly altered on short plates.

Whilst the fancy lettering can look nice on show plates it really winds the police up and I have known them to threaten the owner with revokation of the plate.

Modern Shadow lettering with Euro or GB flag look great and freshen up an older car.

some i like some i dont and like waynne said as long as they are not made you with screws is nearly ok

tested one monday with a plate v1p us looked like vip us thought that would look good on my trans am but if it was v1 pus it does not look the same

Isn't the law regarding this something like there are the list of 10 infractions and you are allowed up to 2 of them without the plate being illegal? I can't research this properly as i am at work however I'm sure you are allowed a certain amount of leeway such as incorrect spacing as long as everything else is fine (such as font, size, colour etc).

Nope. They tightened up the law in 2001 or something like that. It's rediculous now, everything has to be right down to the mm. Fascists.

Once upon a time you could use any typeface (font) you liked. At that point no-one at the DVLA had considered number plates being used as cosmetic features.

I find the misplacing or black/white/yellow screw heads to be irritating and tacky.

My preference would be for something that complies with ALL the rules but demonstrates your cunning and ingenuity to come up with something really clever.

I find the misplacing or black/white/yellow screw heads to be irritating and tacky.

My preference would be for something that complies with ALL the rules but demonstrates your cunning and ingenuity to come up with something really clever.

Well said. They should lax the rules a little when it comes to spacing but put in place a minimum distance between lettering perhaps. That sorts out the recognition cameras/software that they are so worried about (yes I know, for good reason) but allows a little more creativity :).

I've had the following number plates: HUI 7900; TIL 7122 and N11 AJD and people ask me "what they mean".

It means that previous owners of the first two cars were vain enough to get a "date less" number plate, or in other words bought an Northern Ireland number plate and the last one just happens to be a a number plate!

I do sometimes cringe when I see bastardised number plates, and in fact my sister in law is trying to get a "personalised" plate (I don't know where the term for "private" comes from - isn't that a diplomatic number plate? Walk down Exhibition Road in London and look at what's at the kerb to see what I mean!), wouldn't she be better off spending that money on her young daughter?!

Yeah there's two cars in London, parked next to each other in their drive. One's a Rolls and the other an Aston Martin. '2 BE' and 'NOT 2B'.

My plate was a christmas present from the 'rents, and don't think I would have ever got one myself :rolleyes:.

I'm one of those that thinks if it doesn't make sense 'how it comes' then its not a great private plate.

I think though, they should allow you to split the two groups wherever you want. The DVLA do after all market them as essentially fashion item.

I've actually got two... one I bought myself and another my girlfriend got me. Some friends think its tacky - others like them.

My name is Robert Keith Bentley. The FreeLander has 'R3 RKB' and the Passat has 'W8 RKB'. I think they look pretty smart sat next to each other.