Private or forecourts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Did you buy your car from a private seller, from a forecourt or main dealer?

Do you consider all the options when buying or do you stick to one particular type?

I got my car from a sole trader with premesis at his home, he was a top guy and I've been really pleased with the car.

usually from the auction, but the past few came from private sellers. Think the next one though will be from the forecourt as will be nearly new and will likely struggle to pick it up privately.

i used to think only cars with problems were sold to dealers as the private seller would get less for the car and who likes to loose money. However a dealer put me right and pointed out how dealers had to be very particular as they had reputations to build and maintain... I usually buy privatly just to save some cash but the last 2 cars I have bought came from dealers, were cheap enough and sound

2 cars bought from private. Another 2 from dealers and was satisfied. another 2 from official dealers and had many problems with their guarantee promises!!

I've had 18 cars down the years, bought from a mix of private/small/main dealers, plus 3 company cars.

I'm not really bothered about where it comes from - it all depends on the vibe I get from the person selling.

You get more protection from a dealer but you do pay for it. If you know your way around a car it makes sense to buy privately.

You can haggle hard with a dealer and get a reasonably good deal though.