Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
It's designed to use the standard fueling system at this stage but if you want anything more then the fuel pumps tend to die. I'd also need bigger injectors hence why I'm not sure on the map yet.

When I had the fuel pump changed to twin Walbro pumps and replaced the fuel injectors with bigger monsters, I also had to have the standard fuel pressure regulator (1.5 Bar) upgraded to a 5 Bar one and larger fuel lines made to allow more fuel into the system to feed both the injectors and the NOS - will your regulator be sufficient Prince or is this also due for replacement?

When I had the fuel pump changed to twin Walbro pumps and replaced the fuel injectors with bigger monsters, I also had to have the standard fuel pressure regulator (1.5 Bar) upgraded to a 5 Bar one and larger fuel lines made to allow more fuel into the system to feed both the injectors and the NOS - will your regulator be sufficient Prince or is this also due for replacement?

The kit comes with new fuel pipes and the standard pump should be fine at the level I'm going to be running. When going for much bigger figures the FPR is ditched in favour of a custom map to support the bigger injectors and uprated fuel pump.

Well to put it bluntly things did not go smoothly. Due to a mix up the pulley bracket supplied doesn't fit meaning the pulleys couldn't be fitted, which means the belts couldn't be fitted, thus meaning no 'charger for the time being. I'm not happy to say the least and quite gutted.

We did however get all the wiring done so that'll make things easier for next time.

Well to put it bluntly things did not go smoothly. Due to a mix up the pulley bracket supplied doesn't fit meaning the pulleys couldn't be fitted, which means the belts couldn't be fitted, thus meaning no 'charger for the time being. I'm not happy to say the least and quite gutted.

We did however get all the wiring done so that'll make things easier for next time.

:blink::sad2:

How upsetting mate! I instantly saw a Charger' and posted in blind excitment. A real shame mate!

Unbelievably, after stripping the inlet manifold off, and doing all the wiring we found the idler pulley bracket doesn't fit.

DSCF2731.jpg

You can see how far out it is. After stressing a lot of options and looking up part numbers on realoem, it was decided I had been sent the bracket for an M44, not an M42! Which basically means I need a new bracket, or the alternator bracket from an M44 (as they're different).

The day wasn't a total loss (even though it feels like it) as all the wiring is now ready which will save time when we actually do fit it.

That bracket nonsense is a very poor show :sad2: They need to get another one out to you sharpish as we have two days worth of Bank Holidays next week.

It's only a minor set back, how long will for them to send you a new bracket??

I know in my heart of hearts it's nothing major, and probably just a genuine mistake but I can't help feeling like it should be on right now. Whining at me! :D

That bracket nonsense is a very poor show :sad2: They need to get another one out to you sharpish as we have two days worth of Bank Holidays next week.

I was so impressed with the kit, until that point. My mate that was helping me (also a mechanic) was saying how good it was, then we was both so disappointed with the bracket. It's gotta come from America so tbh I doubt it'll make it over in time. But there may be another way around it...

... Get the M44 alternator bracket and hopefully everything should bolt up.

Go for the fastest way (M44 bracket probably), I would because I'm an impatient mofo.

I'm waiting on a phone call (probably sometime tomorrow) to discuss a solution. As it turns out I may be able to get the M44 bracket for practically nothing and have someone sorting that out over the next couple of days for me. You've gotta love forum love!

Essentially it's supposed to be 'bolt on' and work with everything on the car already. I suppose it's quite optimistic to expect that to happen though.

Trust me, with modifying, nothing ever goes as planned....
At least in my world it doesnt....

and also yes, a meet would be on the cards :)

You have indeed. Tbh it's only a bracket, if you sent me dimensions I could probably have one made up in a day or two.

Nice one buddy! If I go down the bracket route I shall be in touch. I appreciate it. :D

Id go for the M44 bracket. Were all impatient for that charger to go on

I've sorted some 'test fit' parts. Let's just say Friday is going to be a long day!

Ouch what a pain, hope you get the new bracket back soon, you must be chomping at the bit Prince! :D

For the first time since I bought it there is nothing stopping me fitting it! Apart from a stupid bracket. It'll get sorted asap though, as above I'm test fitting parts on Friday and that goes well, the 'charger will be going on the same day!

Trust me, with modifying, nothing ever goes as planned....
At least in my world it doesnt....

and also yes, a meet would be on the cards :)

These 'bolt on' mods eh?! A meet sounds good. :D

Right, well it turns out there is to be more than one hurdle in this project. I shall get to the second pain in the arse later, for now I'll take you through the Supercharger experience so far. Starting on day 1 (27/5/12)...

Here's what I started (and finished) the day with.

157.jpg

158.jpg

Intake out and some lovely dirt revealed.

159.jpg

I couldn't just leave it.

160.jpg

161.jpg

Upper intake manifold off.

163.jpg

Coolant had to be drained as well.

162.jpg

Fuel rail and injectors out.

164.jpg

A nice chunk of wiring. This was where I was useless and went to make bacon sandwiches.

165.jpg

166.jpg

DSCF2720.jpg

DSCF2721.jpg

Lower intake manifold off.

167.jpg

169.jpg

Seemed like a good time to clean the ICV.

170.jpg

The wiring was sorted out as well.

171.jpg

Here's a belt comparison photo.

172.jpg

Things seemed to be going well, until...

DSCF2728-1.jpg

DSCF2731.jpg

DSCF2732.jpg

The idler pulley bracket doesn't line up! As a result it meant that progress had to stop and all the original intake manifold had to go back in (as I needed the car). After much part cross referencing on realoem we realised that I had been sent a bracket for an M44. Someone else's mistake had meant we'd spent almost the entire day doing nothing. The parts needed were either the correct bracket or an alternator bracket from an M44, the alternator, the power steering pump and all the bolts. As Downing Atlanta didn't care about their mistake it was decided we'd go for the alternator bracket.

The good things to come out of day 1 was that the wiring and fuel lines were completed. That didn't stop me being quite gutted and really annoyed.

Day 2 of the supercharger experience (1/2/12). Myself and Steve were in for a late night session having both worked full shifts during the day, but with the dyno day today we tried our best to get everything up and running. It was not to be, but I'll get to that in a bit.

Here we go again.

179.jpg

A majority of this had to come out.

177.jpg

To be replaced with this.

178.jpg

Out with the old.

182.jpg

183.jpg

In with the 'new'. This even included an M43/M44 oil filter and housing.

191.jpg

All because of one bolt!

192.jpg

Now the bracket fits!

193.jpg

The intake manifold had to come out (again).

195.jpg

New gasket.

196.jpg

New intake put together and ready to fit (this is immediately going on the list on things to upgrade).

181.jpg

The supercharger and gasket.

185.jpg

Un-suprising at this stage that something needed 'adjustment' to fit.

204.jpg

Supercharger support mount now fitted (although I forgot to get a picture of it).

205.jpg

Front support bracket fitted.

206.jpg

Once again, things were going really well. Until...

207.jpg

208.jpg

The M42 injectors don't fit! As the pictures are quite quite blurry I'll explain. The injectors don't actually sit in the inlet manifold's holes. They don't seem long enough, or wide enough (like a bad penis joke!) and therefore the engine would be starved of fuel. There is about a 2mm gap all round. After some quick research today I discovered the difference between US spec and UK spec M42s (of the 1994/95 range). The US spec M42s seem to use the same injectors as the M44 so I've promtly ordered a set to hopefully cure this problem.

So as a result the car stayed like this, also with the RRFPR fitted.

209.jpg

210.jpg

Tucked up, waiting for injectors.

211.jpg

How ruddy annoying! stick with it Prince, all these things are set to try us buddy! :sad2: You will have the last laugh of that I am sure! Been there done that with the beast last year, it was one daft thing after another; but you know, when its all done and you put the key in the ignition and the car fires up; there's no feeling like it in the world :D

that is a nice bit of kit.it is looking awesome buddy bet you cant wait to fire that bad boy up and take it out.sleepless nights till you get it sorted.stick with it mate its comeing along nicely.your doin a crackin job.

How ruddy annoying! stick with it Prince, all these things are set to try us buddy! :sad2: You will have the last laugh of that I am sure! Been there done that with the beast last year, it was one daft thing after another; but you know, when its all done and you put the key in the ignition and the car fires up; there's no feeling like it in the world :D

It is very annoying mate. I could do with my car atm as well so it's double frustrating. Thanks mate.

Oh wow this is exciting, so close to finishing! I can't guess how frustrating it must be finding all these little annoyances.

It's kind of ruining the fun. I'm now half expecting it not to work!

FFS....
Get some decent BREAD!

FFS indeed mate!

Mate......
I honestly feel your pain....
Stick with it and you'll reep the rewards...can't wait to see it in action...

Me too buddy! Hopefully the end of the week now.

that is a nice bit of kit.it is looking awesome buddy bet you cant wait to fire that bad boy up and take it out.sleepless nights till you get it sorted.stick with it mate its comeing along nicely.your doin a crackin job.

I really want to get it finished now. It's become an annoyance more than anything right now. Which is a shame.

FFS....

Get some decent BREAD!

LOL! There is an awesome charger' being fitted and all you mention is the bread! :p

Nice update. Glad to see it finally coming together! Dont give up buddy, your so close! plus I'll keep nagging you to get it finished! :lol:

Last edited:
Well guys this is the update you have all been waiting for...

THE SUPERCHARGER IS ON!!!

It took some a lot work but it finally got there earlier today. The following parts were changed to get the 'charger to fit:

- Alternator
- Alternator Bracket
- Oil Filter Housing
- Oil Filter
- Power Steering Pump (as a result of replacing the alternator bracket)
- Power Steering Hose
- Injectors
- Injector Seals
- The Belt itself (due to the difference in the crank pulley size on the two engines the supplied belt isn't long enough)
- Manifold Gasket (due to having to refit the OEM manifold)

The car feels fantastic to drive. I love the extra power and love having it on tap ready. The car feels lovely to just cruise along in and is running the best it ever has in my care. It really has transformed the car. I am delighted with it. Would I do it again? I'd like to say no, but tbh despite the headache it's been it suddenly feels worth it. So I probably would do it again, but on another car (think M3 of some sort in the future).

I am planning to add a BBTB, and to upgrade the intake as I think it can be improved. But for now I want to just enjoy it!

Time for the pictures!

215.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg

218.jpg

219.jpg

220.jpg

221.jpg

222.jpg

224.jpg

225.jpg

223.jpg

226.jpg

Comments welcome!

looks awesome mate.does it go as good as it looks.and most of all does it sound awesome that sound you get from a charger is fantastic.well done mate it was well worth the effort then.

Well done matey. Nice to see it all come together in the end. I feel a feature coming up....

Congrats Prince, all the suffering and sleepless nights you had makes it all worth it, especially when you look at that supercharger now gleaming under the bonnet :bigsmile:

Excellent work P!!!
Is that it, or is there more to do?

Thanks mate. Well I want some gauges (boost and AFR) to keep an eye on things. I'm also planning a BBTB and to improve the intake. But not for a little while!

looks awesome mate.does it go as good as it looks.and most of all does it sound awesome that sound you get from a charger is fantastic.well done mate it was well worth the effort then.

It goes very well mate. I'm waiting for a dry day so I can give a good blast. That whine is going to be addictive! :D

excellent, except WE NEED A VIDEO!!!!!, oh and I'd be up for a meet as well :)

I'll get a video sorted when I can mate. It's on the to do list for everyone. i'll post up a meet related thread when I get 5 mins so everybody can contribute.

Congrats mate chuffed for you! :D

Thanks buddy!

Mate, that looks epic......

Would love to see how it drives....what power are you expecting?

I'd love to show you :D. I'm expecting just over 200bhp atm.

Nice! Video, video.

As above dude, on the to do list!

Well done matey. Nice to see it all come together in the end. I feel a feature coming up....

We can get a main site feature done anytime you like mate. Got a few little things to do first though.

I'm also expecting a magazine feature sometime next year!

Congrats Prince, all the suffering and sleepless nights you had makes it all worth it, especially when you look at that supercharger now gleaming under the bonnet :bigsmile:

Thanks mate! It's not looking at it that makes me smile, it's driving it and hearing that whine! :D

____​

On another note I just wanted to say thanks for all the kind comments. It really makes it all worth while and replying to everyone right now I honestly can't stop grinning like an idiot. It's because of this great forum I started learning about cars in the first place and wouldn't have the knowledge I do now if it wasn't for those early days.