Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
Today the front brakes were fitted. It took a long time and wasn't as bolt on as it should have been but we got there in the end. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

113.jpg

318is master cylinder and servo removed.

114.jpg

3.0 M3 master cylinder and servo.

115.jpg

New line made up to fit as there is a difference between the two.

116.jpg

117.jpg

Before we started.

118.jpg

119.jpg

E36 318is vs E46 M3

120.jpg

121.jpg

Wow! Nothing better than a wheel FULL of brake goodness! Weird how the pads protrude so far outof the calipers, or maybe they just look like they do because they'e blue.

Still loving the tyres? I've just been out in mine after fitting a new MAF and they continue to impress me even now!

Have just ordered some BMW badges for the beast so I can get some of that action :lol:

:lol: It does seem to work!

Speechless! :bigsmile:

Thanks mate. :D

Are the rears done too? They look absolutely amazing Prince. Congratulations.

Just the fronts atm Jake. My rear discs haven't turned up yet so can't do them. They'll be a lot more straight forward than the fronts though. Thanks!

Wow! Nothing better than a wheel FULL of brake goodness! Weird how the pads protrude so far outof the calipers, or maybe they just look like they do because they'e blue.

Still loving the tyres? I've just been out in mine after fitting a new MAF and they continue to impress me even now!

The rims will make a lot of sense to people now as they look amazing with the brakes now (not that it was done to look cool, just a bonus :D). I think it's because they're blue. The OEM pads were black and they looked normal. I love how easy swapping pads in with the Porsche calipers. A much better design than the BMW calipers imo.

I am still loving the tyres. Great in the dry and perfectly fine in the wet (actually quite impressed with how good they are in the wet). I won't go back to skinny tyres now! :D

they look exellent what is it like when you put the anchors on.well worth the effort. you have done your self proud.bet you cant wait to get the rears on.

Looks amazing buddy! I love the stance and the general look of the car. You should be really proud dude! :D

Thanks a lot mate! I think the key to getting a good 'stance' is not to just slam it but to think about it. The car was lower this time last year, but it's actually nicer to drive now. I am very proud! :D

Theres science in the 'stance' :lol:

Can't help but notice the brake pads are sticking out? its always worth the wait in the end, isnt?

Last edited:
Sort your camera out its too pink! Also, try not to take pics with a great big shadow across the middle. Sits very nicely just constructive criticism mate :D

Sort your camera out its too pink! Also, try not to take pics with a great big shadow across the middle. Sits very nicely just constructive criticism mate :D

I am guilty of this too from time to time :embarrest:
What I know about photography I could write on the back of a postage stamp with a felt tipped pen ;)

Theres science in the 'stance' :lol:

Can't help but notice the brake pads are sticking out? its always worth the wait in the end, isnt?

Technically there is. I just hate these cars that are simply lowered (on eBay coilovers) and then called stanced. :evil:

That's because they blue so it's obvious. They sit the same as the previous pads (in the caliper) but the olds were black. Yes it is.

It doesn't seem to like my car very much! I was just parked there and my camera was with me so I took a few shots.

What I know about photography I could write on the back of a postage stamp with a felt tipped pen ;)

Next to what I know! :lol:

Technically there is. I just hate these cars that are simply lowered (on eBay coilovers) and then called stanced. :evil:

I have to say the 'Dub' scene is very guilty of this! The amount of VW polo's and Golfs that are apprently 'stanced', yeah, most of the time because they cannot get over speed bumps!

That's because they blue so it's obvious. They sit the same as the previous pads (in the caliper) but the olds were black. Yes it is.

Ah.. Common sense is kicking me. :lol:

Much matey! Still looking pretty pink though tbh but composition wise much better.

Getting boost this Sunday! Shame I'm go karting with the Le Man's lads or I'd be straight down for a tinker.

Much matey! Still looking pretty pink though tbh but composition wise much better.

Getting boost this Sunday! Shame I'm go karting with the Le Man's lads or I'd be straight down for a tinker.

I'll have to get a better camera, but atm I have more important things to buy so pink will have to do for now! :lol:

That would have been pretty cool mate, I'd love a proper look at the RS.

Yesh moyte. Brett when your car is fully up and running and this has some boost we'll have to have a drive down. Ney very far!

Plan. Is the car getting mapped and by who?

Will be, but decisions have to made first. Before any mapping it'll need some gauges wired up and fitted. That's next on the list. But I'm also going to get a BBTB as well.

Basically I can go for a custom map once I decide on how far I want to take it for now. With the pulley I'm using I shouldn't have to change things like the injectors, AFM/MAF and fuel pump but if I go for anything smaller I will have to. I may just get a map done for now and enjoy driving it for a while first.

I'm planning to take to End Tuning as they deal with a BMWs and Enda is highly regarded in the BMW world.

How much boost will it be pushing at first then? Are there any provisions for extra fuelling in the kit?

It should be somewhere between 8 and 10psi irrc. None what so ever. It's designed to use the standard fueling system at this stage but if you want anything more then the fuel pumps tend to die. I'd also need bigger injectors hence why I'm not sure on the map yet.

Essentially it's supposed to be 'bolt on' and work with everything on the car already. I suppose it's quite optimistic to expect that to happen though.