Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures taking ages to load on the phone. Just to let you know if you need to order the other two tyres they're on offer on camskill atm. Velly good plice.

Car looks well maintained, mate!
Love what those wheels and mirrors had done to appearance! (where are the new wheels?)
You know what would look nice to see?
Few more pipes under the hood and FMIC! :) Only thing missing is charging IMHO!
But I am aware of costs and efforts needed, so in my eyes you got one perfect coupe!

Thanks mate! I honestly don't care for under bonnet bling, except for some carbon fibre. Black hoses all the way as it's nice and subtle. It's still far from perfect imo. Little bits here and there that don't always show in pictures.

Looking sharp Prince, loving the mirrors. :D

Thanks Loz. :D

*riddled with envy*

No need for envy! We can all appreciate what other members have.

Pictures taking ages to load on the phone. Just to let you know if you need to order the other two tyres they're on offer on camskill atm. Velly good plice.

I actually ordered 4 in the end! Bugger. Thanks anyway mate.

Rims may not be as soon as I thought though as I'm currently having some clearance issues. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks until I can use a ramp as the front wheels are catching on the coilover (even with a 10mm spacer). It may be case of bigger spacer and more camber.

I'm neither not an fan of under bonnet bling. I was thinking on pipes around turbo and intercooler or pipes around supercharger. ;)

I'm neither not an fan of under bonnet bling. I was thinking on pipes around turbo and intercooler or pipes around supercharger. ;)

I won't be using an intercooler mate as it doesn't work with this 'charger. The 'charger also has all the pipes needed so no point in buying more.

Only visual stuff I want under the bonnet is some carbon fibre but that's it.

I won't be using an intercooler mate as it doesn't work with this 'charger. The 'charger also has all the pipes needed so no point in buying more.

Only visual stuff I want under the bonnet is some carbon fibre but that's it.

Wait a second...you already got a charger built in?

Wait a second...you already got a charger built in?

No mate, but the kit has the pipes needed with it as they have to be custom made.

beemers lookin good mate.where are the young ladies.did you give them the day off.i do like those wheels.keep up the good work.

Thanks dude. I appreciate it. :D. I like them too but they've gotta go. The women will no doubt be back come show season. ;)

No mate, but the kit has the pipes needed with it as they have to be custom made.

Must be due my clumpsy English. :lol:
When I mentioned pipes i was trying to indirectly/with humor tell you the only thing lacking is charging.
Then you said you don't like bling, and I assumed the charger is already in.

"What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate" (Paul Newman) :lol::lol:

Must be due my clumpsy English. :lol:
When I mentioned pipes i was trying to indirectly/with humor tell you the only thing lacking is charging.
Then you said you don't like bling, and I assumed the charger is already in.

"What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate" (Paul Newman) :lol::lol:

Ah ok. Got you now. I thought by pipes you meant hoses.

Prince... The suspense is killing me. a) get them bloody wheels on. b) fit that SuperCharger!

:lol:

Hahaha!

A/ Having some clearance issues atm so I'm going into the garage with a mate of mine (who works there) so we can re-align the front as the toe is definitely out and play with some spacers.

B/ Brakes have to come first but they're not far off being finished. I need to order the rears but I'm just waiting on the front caliper to be machined and then all that will need is paint.

Hahaha!

A/ Having some clearance issues atm so I'm going into the garage with a mate of mine (who works there) so we can re-align the front as the toe is definitely out and play with some spacers.

B/ Brakes have to come first but they're not far off being finished. I need to order the rears but I'm just waiting on the front caliper to be machined and then all that will need is paint.

Well I cannot argue with that, so I guess we are all gunna have to wait! :lol:

My tyres are fitted and ready to go. Next Wednesday should see me rolling on 245/40/17s all round!

073.jpg

074.jpg

245/40/17s vs 215/45/17s.

075.jpg

I also picked up the new calipers today...

077.jpg

(DVD to show size and Beverhills Cop is awesome).

12 mm has to be machined off the mounting boss for this to work.

079.jpg

080.jpg

I can't wait to get these on together with the wheels. So guys, this is where you come in... What colour should the cailpers be? Red or black? I'm leaning towards red (they are Brembos after all) but I only want them red if I can get a good match to the rest of the car.

Awesome rims mate, also Beverly Hills Cop is fab! I think red too... But red is so common now. You could strip them down and paint them red, and engrave 'Prince' on them to replace the 'Porsche! :lol:

they have got to be red.will look good with the black wheels.cant wait to see it with brakes and wheels on.

I'm leaning towards red atm.

Awesome rims mate, also Beverly Hills Cop is fab! I think red too... But red is so common now. You could strip them down and paint them red, and engrave 'Prince' on them to replace the 'Porsche! :lol:

That would be rather custom lol. I think I'll stick with Porsche though!

Get some BMW red paint so they match the car.
would have said white or gold for a little difference.

what pads did you go for them ?

Normal paint would flake off though. Didn't think to ask if they do caliper paint though.

Pads are OEM Porsche atm. I think I shall just use them to start with, then switch to Stoptech or Pagid RS pads.

Collor is a matter of personal preferences. My preference would be black. Black don't atract attention, but once spotted it makes the lower jaw relax: "Darn, those calipers are big...wait a minute - that dude got Porsche calipers!!!......ahhhh he won't full me!" effect. ;)
Glad you will finally atach those wheels and calipers, Matt!

I think red! although!!!! I did see a red BM once with yellow calipers! Looked quite nice actually :embarrest:

those calipers look familiar!
with mine im going a straight black gloss (no brembo/porsche stiickers) cause i dont want anything to stand out at all on my car

but personally with your car and those wheels i would go red with black brembo stickers imo that would look best

Collor is a matter of personal preferences. My preference would be black. Black don't atract attention, but once spotted it makes the lower jaw relax: "Darn, those calipers are big...wait a minute - that dude got Porsche calipers!!!......ahhhh he won't full me!" effect. ;)
Glad you will finally atach those wheels and calipers, Matt!

I almost like being a bit flashy tbh, although painted calipers have never been to my taste until I've had some worth showing off.

I think red! although!!!! I did see a red BM once with yellow calipers! Looked quite nice actually :embarrest:

Interesting. Didn't give yellow a thought, but now I have... I'll leave it alone!

those calipers look familiar!
with mine im going a straight black gloss (no brembo/porsche stiickers) cause i dont want anything to stand out at all on my car

but personally with your car and those wheels i would go red with black brembo stickers imo that would look best

Are yours fronts from a 996 as well then?

I am leaning heavily towards red atm. Maybe I should de-grease and sand them down before deciding.

mine are the rears but they look identical to yours

Ah ok. They're are subtle differences between the two. The fronts are slightly bigger. The mounting boss in particular and the fronts sit on discs I'm using better due to the size. I could have used 25mm thick discs with the rear calipers, or 28mm thick discs with the fronts.

BLACK.BLACK.BLACK.BLACK.BLACK.BLACK.BLACK.BLACK.

Or black.

A BMW is supposed to be smooooth and stylish. Red is so cheap and chavy.......IMO

Just a difficult decision! I'm not sure if black will mean there is too much black due to the wheel. Silver was already suggested to me but I want to keep them colour coded to the red/black theme.

Keep the input coming guys!

Does anybody here got photoshop? Lets make black, red, silver and bronze exemplars and see how it looks!?

P.S. While got photoshop going I could see how will my Ibiza look with Bronze wheels. :)

Last edited:
Looking at the photos of the car with red calipers, it doesn't actually look too bad :)

What are you going to do re the Porsche logo?

Looking at the photos of the car with red calipers, it doesn't actually look too bad :)

What are you going to do re the Porsche logo?

I've just ordered some red caliper paint (supposed to be good match to Brembo red, which in turn is a good match to my red).

The Porsche logo is just a sticker, so I will probably get a new white one as that's how they are from the factory.

2011-porsche-911-carrera-gts-wheel-and-brake-caliper-photo-367699-s-520x318.jpg

I do like that picture TN sorted and the idea of the lettering in black is a good one! If the letters come off easy enough Prince could you not put BMW on the caliper or maybe even the M series logo perhaps?

I do like that picture TN sorted and the idea of the lettering in black is a good one! If the letters come off easy enough Prince could you not put BMW on the caliper or maybe even the M series logo perhaps?

I like the idea of them being factory fresh. Putting M stickers on things is tacky and isn't the done thing in the BMW world, unless the part is genuinely from the M division.

I like the idea of them being factory fresh. Putting M stickers on things is tacky and isn't the done thing in the BMW world, unless the part is genuinely from the M division.

I know what you mean! In East London the entire stock of M-series cars seem to have been sold here in way or another if all the badges are to be believed :blink:

I was looking on Google images on actual genuine M-series calipers with the logo on them, thought it would have been a nice touch for your car. This was why I was a little surprised that you were actually using brakes from a Porsche, taking into account your doggedness for all things BMW. At the end of the day they are fantastic brakes and will look good any car :)

I know what you mean! In East London the entire stock of M-series cars seem to have been sold here in way or another if all the badges are to be believed :blink:

I was looking on Google images on actual genuine M-series calipers with the logo on them, thought it would have been a nice touch for your car. This was why I was a little surprised that you were actually using brakes from a Porsche, taking into account your doggedness for all things BMW. At the end of the day they are fantastic brakes and will look good any car :)

The Porsche brakes a significant improvement over most BMW brakes. They can also be made to fit will relatively little work on some huge discs. I don't care where they've come from, as long as they work. But the cost of the BBK I've put together is around half of the off-the-shelf versions.

Using Porsche calipers is by no means for the looks.

I have no problems with using Porsche calipers on a BMW as ,as you say, they are a quality piece of kit. However, you have got to remove the name! :)

Update

The first of three big updates. Today I spent a long time with a mate of mine getting a lot sorted. The list was...

- New front E30 Lemforder wishbones.
- New Lemforder track rod ends.
- New Lemforder engine mounts.
- Coilover adjustment.
- Rims and tyres.

Here are the pictures...

085.jpg

Old E36 wishbone vs new E30 wishbone.

087.jpg

Old engine mount vs new engine mount.

088.jpg

089.jpg

Old track rod end vs new track rod end.

090.jpg

Helper springs were removed from the coilovers (not to slam it, but for clearance).

091.jpg