Preferred screen wash additive

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
What do you do when it's washer tank fill time? Plain water? Ready mixed screenwash?

Do you mix your own before filling the tank or do you chuck in some additive stuff and then plain water on top.

Which brand(s) do you use?

I've used Halford's own stuff for years and switch between the standard bright green stuff and the pricier Advanced stuff. The advanced stuff does go further, you can use it in much smaller concentrations which does offset the cost penalty.

One of the best screenwash additives I've ever used is Normfest's single shot additive. ECP was selling this at £1 a go and I bought a couple out of curiousity. It does not offer any anti-freezing benefits so no good in the depths of winter but the cleaning prowess is nothing short of superb.

Do you change your mix/brand winter/summer?

What's best for shifting squashed flies and bugs?

My E39 is fitted with the optional 'Winter Pack' - it has the secondary intensive wash tank which is supposed to be filled with BMW's own branded intensive washer fluid (only about £3 so not serious money). I filled it with neat Halfords stuff but the pump for this part of the system is not working.

Whether I can be bothered to replace it is another question. I don't drive through mud and slush for eight months of the year so it's unlikely I'll need it but for the ten or fifteen quid BMW wants for a replacment pump and sealing grommet I might just do it anyway.

I usually buy what ever is on offer & normally I go for ready made up stuff because I'm lazy. The current stuff I'm using is from Texaco & is awful, it leaves a very visible residue when it dries. :lol:

use comma, cheap stuff from local parts shop. (4.99 for 4.5 litres)
does the job well. also helps if your wipers are in good nick aswell. just bought some flat aero wipers off ebay. did notice the difference. they seem to stick to the windscreen alot better than normal ones.

I had aftermarket flats on the 406 and Seat - worked very well. Sadly there's no fitment for the E39 but the BMW blades work extremely well and are surprisingly cheap anyway. ie. cheaper than Halfords' ones.

sure i seen some on ebay to fit ur car m8.

I doubt they'll fit without different arms as well. The blades are E39 specific but can be bought from places other than BMW dealers. Then again, BMW service parts are very reasonably priced to be honest.

Bosch and Trico make the specific ones for the car, and, in fairness the OEM ones do work very well anyway. No lifting or dragging so I'm not about the change them for no reason.

the stuff i get free from the dad in law. he gets 5ltrs free from scania everytime the wagon gets parts. good thing is its concentrated so will make up something around 25ltrs

I use mine pretty concentrated with around 40% additive and 60% water. The thicker it is the better it is at removing bugs and avoiding smears.

Brand wise I tend to just buy fairly generic stuff like B&Q halfords, they all seem much of a muchness but some of them smell quite bad when they are used.