Power loss to stereo and cig lighter socket.

bluecat46

Wrench Pro
Car
Focus Zetec S
Help!!

Plug in my phone charger in to the cig lighter socket all off a sudden power loss to the socket, and the stereo stop working, its happen before but that was some years ago, but I can not remember the fix.

I believe that its a fuse but I had a look at the fuse box in the in the drivers side door put could it find the fuse.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Accord 1.8 1999.:confused:

The lighter socket will probably have a larger fuse as it carries a higher current than most. This may be with the main fuses and relays .
The radio is often wired in to that circuit when replaced as it is an easy way of doing things

Some manufacturers wire the stereo into the same fuse as the lighter socket and the interior lights as well in some cases.
First of all as said check the cars main fuse box. After that you may need to search for a faulty wire or connection. Or even a faulty earth?

Have a really good look at the fuses as it is not always easy to tell whether the blade version of a fuse is blown or not just by looking at it from the top.

So you will have to extract it. Some fuses are placed really close together so look in the fuse box for a plastic removal tool which will make your life a lot easier.

Easier still, go to Halfords and buy a fuse checker (Just a few pounds or so). There are several different versions but the one that might serve you best has two prongs at the end of the tester that you place across the top of the fuse so that it touches the two exposed metal tips (This is done without having to extract the fuse). The little led light will glow to tell you what is happening.

School boy error notice! Do not remove more than one fuse at a time to check it before replacing it back to where it came from. Wrong fuse in the wrong fuse socket? well you'll figure it out. :)

if the fuse in the main fusebox is fine, take a look under the bonnet. this happened to me in the civic and there is another supply fuse in the fusebox in the engine bay