Post your 80-100 MPH times!

Guybo

Torque Junkie
Car
13 GenCoupe 2.0T
In another thread we were discussing whether 0-60 MPH times or 60-90 times were better for judging car performance. Instead of talking about going fast let's just go fast! I use the Torque app and my OBD2 port scanner to do runs. But Torque doesn't do 60-90, so I chose 80-100 because it's faster. Faster is better, I think we all can agree :D

Today I found a flat open peice of highway (open enough anyway) and started from 60 in 5th, accelerated up to 100 and got a 80-100 of 4.4 sec for my best.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-20-19-23-04.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-20-19-23-04.png
    680 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The problem with this thread is that you are advocating breaking the law in most countries (including your own) and that is something this site doesn't condone or encourage. The only safe and legal place is the drag strip but these aren't long enough for most cars. There are air fields such as Bruntingthorpe in England that can be hired for this purpose but it isn't cheap. Maybe we should be comparing 50-70, which is both more usual and legal?

You have put 0-80 as 4.4 but starting from 60 up to 100 ?

oops, sorry. Typo. I started accelerating from 60 but timed only the 80-100 time.

Yeah it's illegal in some places. It's not like we don't discuss other illegal things like removing cats too. Besides it's not like I'm discussing how to rob a bank or planning to hack a website and steal credit cards. It's just a little bit of going fast. Nobody has to do it, but if you want to take the chance, post your time.

LOL, in the US it's very common. It's not a big deal and I go over 100 almost daily. I love Florida! I hit 115 last week, no big deal.

115???!!! how did you manage to breath at that speed haha. I thought if you went over 55 in the states they shot you:woot:

It's not the same in the us. I was hammer down in the left lane (passing lane over here) doing 110 once and I had to move over to the middle lane to let someone past..... if you go the speed limit here when in traffic it's dangerous because you'll have people tailgating, honking, giving you the finger and you'll be the cork in the bottle. Doing the speed limit here is dangerous. 100 is fast sure, but not unusual. 10 over the posted 70 mph speed limit on the highway is normal cruising speed. People here drive like they are clinically insane and the weekend pass from the funny farm is almost up.

There's a very long 4 lane bridge here called the Howard Frankland Bridge that is 5 miles across. It has a huge hump in the middle and is flat on both ends. Police can't patrol it, can't hang out in the breakdown lanes or shoot radar or laser from the ends because of the hump. It's where people with sportscars go to open up their cars. You have a good 2 miles of flat, straight 4 lanes where you can see all the way to the hump. Perfect. I talked to one guy with a Ferrari who got up to 160 there once just to try it. I've only gotten to 120. My brother in law hit 140 there.

I have 2 kids, im 44 years old. They weren't with me on any of these occasions. They've been up to 100 but not known it.

i done this once, they build a new stretch of road 12km long and there's no traffic at all . so i hit 240 kmh its approximately 150 mh in mine opel calibra v6.

It's not the same in the us. I was hammer down in the left lane (passing lane over here) doing 110 once and I had to move over to the middle lane to let someone past..... if you go the speed limit here when in traffic it's dangerous because you'll have people tailgating, honking, giving you the finger and you'll be the cork in the bottle. Doing the speed limit here is dangerous. 100 is fast sure, but not unusual. 10 over the posted 70 mph speed limit on the highway is normal cruising speed. People here drive like they are clinically insane and the weekend pass from the funny farm is almost up.

That explains a lot. Florida has an annual death rate of around 13 per 100,000 population whereas California (where my driving experience has mainly been) is just over 7.

I live in California for a year in the 90s. The driving there was tame compared to Florida IMHO. The insurance here is insane too and my driving record is spotless for the past 16 years.

So how about some 80-100 times? You don't have to do it but post if you can do it.

As the admin I will have to stress that we do not condone, endorse or encourage speeding on public roads, and that any attempts to log a 80-100 time are done in the confines of private property or tracks! ;)

Sounds fair. I have car mods that are for "off road use only" so obviously I do all this on track only :rolleyes:

I drive fast on the road so that makes me up there with the worlds worst gangsters I guess rather strange on a Petrol head site :). 80-100mph in 1.6s or dare I say 170-180mph in 1.9s means its rather easy to reach high speeds. I started driving before speed limits so guess I view them differently. Would never speed in built-up or restricted areas or race another car. If I want to drive & explore its real Topspeed then I would enter events like Vmax. My missus has a Peugeot 107 that can reach 80 at a push so maybe thats the car for the majority of you guys why have a fast car if you don't drive fast seems rather pointless.

@MADRod. because i dont want to my licence,job,family,liberty...

Besides , driving enjoyment is not about top speed, well not for me. The best thing about the performance cars ive had was the handling, the communication between the road, the car and you.

I did 4.3 secs this morning. I did a tenth quicker but with .4 psi less boost. It was cooler out.

Madrod, what did you use to do that run? Torque or another app? Also, car specs!

Mine is a 13 Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0t. Injen SRI, stock exhaust with muffler replaced by stinger (the stock exhaust is my big restriction now- that'll change in a couple months) ,and a couple other minor mods.

I've never logged 80-100mph on the RS6, but I have logged 60-100mph on the race-logic timing box. The best I achieved before my most recent mods (upgraded intercoolers, lighter front discs/pads and revised map) was 4.0/sec dead.

Errr, no chance getting anywhere near those BHP figures. Low 600s is about where it will be with race fuel.

I think he's expressing surprise and venting (in a sarcastic manner) that a website and forum dedicated to car performance is fretting about going 100 mph. He has a point. It's kind of ironic. But to each his own, if you can't do the 80-100, don't. If you can, do.

Less talk more throttle. I want YOUR 80-100 and not a different car on a different day. Get screenshots. There are several smartphone apps you can use that work with your GPS on the phone. These are free:

-aDyno
-RaceDroid Pro

This is not and requires an OBD2 port reader:

-Torque

Just an FYI for those who don't understand our policies on here about this - in the UK it is illegal to incite, council or procure anyone to commit an offence. We therefore cannot condone, promote or encourage our users to break the law endangering themselves or others.

There have also been successful prosecutions for people who posted boasts and videos online of them committing motoring offences. So if I made it a habit of breaking the law I wouldn't be posting up about online, and neither would I encourage others to copy me.

A well made and sensible point. I'd like to point out to drivers (none of whom are on this forum to the best of my knowledge) of vehicles bearing their employer's name & contact details that driving 2 feet from the car in front is not remotely sensible.

Keep the boast posts confined to activities undertaken well away from public roads.

OK, before each post, put this in:

"On the track today I got....."

And that way everyone is covered! You can also say "I was in Montana/Autobahn today and I...." and that also works. That covers the legals bits because there's no way to verify we weren't in Montana, on the autobahn or at the track.

That should be sufficient but at the same time Waynne's point is that Torque Cars' doesn't condone or endorse illegal & unlawful activity.

If there is sufficient need to pursue a prosecution then all sorts of evidence can be brought into play. Sufficient need would mean that the prosecution passes an evidential test and a public interest test. At least in the law governing England and Wales. Scotland is slightly different, though it's more down to terminology rather than applied principles of criminal law. I suspect that federal law in North America and Canada is not dissimilar.

The advice I can give is that disclaimers such as you are proposing are OK but it's better still that you don't lie. In the event that you are caught out then you'll have a lot of lies to tell in court to defend your position. Perjury is a serious offence.

A nice idea for a topic but.............

On top of the obvious problem already raised a few times. Mobile phone apps are not very accurate for recording such speeds anyway.
You really need a proper system like v box to get accurate readings and very few people ( inc me) have one. The good thing though is that v box readings are therefore almost always on track /airfields/strips so can be posted without issue.

I tried out one of the apps out on a club run 30-130 day at marham airfield . So I was using both a phone ap and a v box in the car.
And note to Wayne :) this was an owners club organised weekend on a private airfield for around 90 cars with v boxes for every run ,safety checks , fire crew on standby etc etc so perfectly legal and postable
The acceleration results were not that close but the top speed was pretty accurate.

Thing is that my results are not relevant as I am now running a different engine and ecu etc .besides they are posted somewhere on here.

On other forums I'm on if they do have threads about times it is a given that you post the venue and the " time sheet" because posts like my car did say 2.2 a while back isn't really contributing much.

so whilst it'snot a bd idea to compare performance it is pretty difficult do it legally and accurately .

Agreed, trying to compare 80-100mph times using inaccurate timing equipment is about as useful as using the second hand on the car's analog clock and the speedo reading, or your mate using the stop watch on his phone.

Unless you have documentary evidence any timing data is suspect. As they say in drag racing circles ( :)) the BS stops when the flag drops. The timing slip doesn't lie nor is it prone to exageration :)

40-70mph times are much more useful and legal (unless cited for excessive acceleration).

Any idiot can drive fast. Very few can do it safely.

Have I broken UK speed limits? Yes, but I don't boast about it on line.

In the opinion of the police officer, yes. Even with the rear wheels sliding from side to side someone who knows what they are doing can be in complete control but that isn't how the authorities would view it.

It's very subjective. Opinions alone do not form any part of law.

There's no specific offence of accelerating excessively quickly so the police would have to rely upon Due Care/Dangerous/Reckless to bring about a conviction.

I believe that there is now (last couple of years) the possibility of being offered a FPN for Careless Driving. As far as I am aware the acceptance of a FPN is not actually considered to be equivalent to conviction by a court.

Last edited: