Positive thoughts - what car to replace with

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
For those of you that don't know, I was involved in a serious RTA on 24th June and my car is now what the insurers call a 'total loss'. The colloquial term is 'write off'.

There's no immediate panic as I'm currently not able to drive just yet as a result of the injuries thus sustained. None are serious but there's enough of 'em to put me off for a while, including some emotional issues which mean I want a week or two to contemplate driving again.

I'm planning to buy a second user car (brand new is too pricey and depreciation is horrific).

I'm want to return to two pedal driving as it suits my general style and I'm also going back to petrol for reasons that I no longer cover a huge mileage and the servicing and general maintenance of a petrol engine is far lower than that of a diesel one. Dial in the cost of diesel per litre and I think I'll break even. I don't want spineless a spineless car so forget four cylinder models I think.

I'm thinking of a 5 series saloon, E39 model, as late as I can get, automatic. I've driven one or two over the years - I seem to recall the 520i being very ploddy with its 2.2 litre straight six.

There's a lot of engine designations - am I right in saying that the 523i is a 2.5 litre? And is the 525i an earlier designation? Same engine or no?

I think the 530i is a straight six of three litres and the 535i is a V8 of 3.5 litres :confused: IS the V8 tragically bad on fuel economy against the 3.0 six?

Gone are the BMW days when the last two digits disclosed all.

I've driven an E34 535i which was definitely an inline 6 and was very pleasant.

Other car I'm considering (and it's only considering at this point, I'm not ready to test drive and buy anything yet) is Lexus GS300. The 430 is just too silly with road tax etc.

Advice would be welcome.

Sorry, I didn't realise about the accident as I have not been on here alot lately. From the description and feelings in the post it did not sound like a nice experience. I hope you recover mentally and enjoy the driving experience again.

I can't help with the choice of your next car as I have never owned a BMW, however as a previous owner of Audi's I would advise you give these a look. You can also pick up a well spec'd Merc for a good price. Good luck and hope you recover. I had a nasty experience a few years back that shook me up, very little damage but a mentally scarring incident spinning 360's in a Picasso at 70mph!

Alfa GT 3.2 V6. Frigging beauty of a car, sounds amazing. Don't do them in poofy auto though I'm afraid but drive one and if you still want a rep-mobile afterwards I'd be very surprised.

would have sugested something along the lines of the Jag as are most not autos ? also like just about every other big car they are going for realy next to nothing.
not as pristege but as stamford said audi a6 or passat is about the same size and come in autos

Alfa GT 3.2 V6. Frigging beauty of a car, sounds amazing. Don't do them in poofy auto though I'm afraid but drive one and if you still want a rep-mobile afterwards I'd be very surprised.

Two doors is not enough for me. I'm not buying new anyway. Not buying at all just yet, to be honest.

Even though it's out of the question on account of two doors and price I'm not wholly against manual boxes, especially if it's a clutchless two pedal (DSG type). I'd just rather go back to automatic Xmission having driven the manual Pug for several years.

What's the dislike of automatic transmission thing? I actually quite like them if they're well designed modern ones with electronic control to complement the hydraulic system. I'm not considering anything here under about 200bhp, auto or manual, so performance is not likely to be too badly compromised.

would have sugested something along the lines of the Jag as are most not autos ? also like just about every other big car they are going for realy next to nothing.
not as pristege but as stamford said audi a6 or passat is about the same size and come in autos

That's a good point. I'd also like to revert to rear wheel drive in the interests of simplicity and servicing costs (much more access to 'stuff').

I have, however, taken a good look at the Audi A6. Most on offer are 2.5TDi V6 models. I've not driven one since 1999 and, good as it was, it was a bit torque shy in the midrange. If I'm going to have a diesel it's got to have ridiculous midrange pull like the Pug had. WIthout that there's no reason to have one at all.

I'm going back to petrol because I think the overall running costs will be cheaper for me given my general type of journey and driving style.

BMW E39 Saloon with 3.0L engine = 26.4mpg, 257g/km emissions (~19.4p/mile)

BMW E39 Saloon with 3.5L engine = 23.7mpg, 286g/km emissions (~21.6p/mile)

That's a little over 15% difference.

Lexus GS300: 24.4mpg, 281g/km (~21p/mile)

Lexus GS 430 5 speed: 23.0mpg, 296g/km (~22.3p/mile)

Lexus GS 430 6 speed: 24.8mpg, 269g/km (~20.7p/mile) [<actually slightly better than the GS300 :p]

In addition, that's over 50% more per mile than your old pug (~12.8p), plus an extra £40 p.a. tax if you get one that's registered before 01/03/01 (one registered after that will cost a whopping £230 p.a. extra). Yes, that is for *all* 5 of those cars listed above. £215 (before 01/03/01) or £405 (after 01/03/01) per annum.

I was going to suggest a Skoda Superb. There is a 3.6L V6 petrol option (AWD, auto), but there seem to be very few of any type available on E-bay (and they have the same costs as those others). Mostly, they are 1.9TDIs, second most common are 2.0TDIs (in both PD and CR format) and some 2.5 V6s.

Strangely, they seem to hold their value better than the BMWs (probably as they're new-ish, economical diesels, compared to the old-ish, comparatively thirsty petrol 540 E39s I was looking at).

I know Autocar magazine liked them - rated the Superb far above the BMW 700 series and the Audi A8. It beat out the Bently Continental on the grounds that "Someone forgot to tell Skoda you can't build a luxury car on £22,000" (only a £100,000+ price difeference)- and that was the Elegance (top of the range) 1.9TDI PD (entry level engine) model, which is probably underpowered. (Only tested those 4 though).

(Oh, and just for comparasion: Superb with 2.5 TDI V6 @160hp: 35.3mpg, 216g/km, ~16p/mile.
Superb with 2.0 TDI PD @140hp:41.5mpg, 177g/km, ~13.6p/mile
Superb with 2.0 TDI CR@170hp:46.3mpg, 159g/km, ~12.2p/mile)

All the above engines can be remapped to over 200hp (just :D) according to Celtic, and as ever the Torque is good (especially the 2.0CR, just a shame it's so new and thus probably over your target price). Tax wise, the 2.0CR just squeeks into the £150 p.a. tax band, the 2.0PD is £175 (same as the Pug) and the V6 is £215.

That's a good point. I'd also like to revert to rear wheel drive in the interests of simplicity and servicing costs (much more access to 'stuff').

I have, however, taken a good look at the Audi A6. Most on offer are 2.5TDi V6 models. I've not driven one since 1999 and, good as it was, it was a bit torque shy in the midrange. If I'm going to have a diesel it's got to have ridiculous midrange pull like the Pug had. WIthout that there's no reason to have one at all.

I'm going back to petrol because I think the overall running costs will be cheaper for me given my general type of journey and driving style.

What about the S6 or an RS6 - they are real monsters and seem to be a bit of a bargain. Have you tried a BMW M3?

Personally I think you will find the insides of BMW a little bare and simple compared to what you are used to.

I can see you in a Jag though! The XF is just a bit too new but the older ones are extremely fast and great to drive - again there are some real bargains about.

Still to pre 2001 and you will avoid the silly tax hike. I would rather a lower mileage old car than a higher mileage new one for this reason alone. It could actually save you a good £200 a year.

You will also need something you can remap. I think even the 2.5 Vag TDI is a very different beast when it has been remapped.

A6 has a 2.4 petrol with 170bhp.
3.0 petrol with 220bhp
or a 2.7t ( think this may be the twin turbo engine from the s4 will check later) with 250 bhp - but even this is down on your torque figures with 258ftlb.

the 2.5 tdi is avalible in 2 different versions 160 bhp and 180bhp - remember the VAG diesels dont really need much in the way of servicing most are similer to the petrols

------------------------------------

checked before posting the 2.7 is a twin turbo petrol however not the same engine as the S4 although i think alot of the parts are shared

A6 has a 2.4 petrol with 170bhp.
3.0 petrol with 220bhp
or a 2.7t ( think this may be the twin turbo engine from the s4 will check later) with 250 bhp - but even this is down on your torque figures with 258ftlb.

the 2.5 tdi is avalible in 2 different versions 160 bhp and 180bhp - remember the VAG diesels dont really need much in the way of servicing most are similer to the petrols

------------------------------------

checked before posting the 2.7 is a twin turbo petrol however not the same engine as the S4 although i think alot of the parts are shared

It's all looking good. The 2.4 petrol A6 is not fave car of all time as it did feel a bit wane to me when I last drove one.

I need to reconsider the V6 TDi as the one I drove was a '98 model with 150bhp and 'only' 224lbft. This was a pre PD model, although it still had the 12 valve heads.

The 2.7T is an attractive proposition - never driven one but I suspect it's worth a drive all the same.

I'm still keen (for now) on an E39 5 series BMW - there's something about an inline 6 driving the rear wheels that still feels special, despite it's antiquated origins.

Isn't it strange that I've been battered by some folks on here about my liking for diesel power and now that I consider going back 'home' to petrol power they're now trying to dissuade me from doing so? :) :)

come back to petrol lol and a rwd motor and ya you do need a auto

i have never really liked bmw's that must seem to be missing something for me
but you would like the gs300 they are a very nice motor
and worth looking at a pre 51 ls430 or ls400 good v8's think they are nearly the same mpg as the 300
i had a 96 ls400 a few years ago best car i have ever owned it was quick yet so smooth and so quite i was looking at a later shape ls400 before i got the trans am

they are well worth a look and not all to dear and they are a lot of car for the money and very safe

come back to petrol lol and a rwd motor and ya you do need a auto

i have never really liked bmw's that must seem to be missing something for me
but you would like the gs300 they are a very nice motor
and worth looking at a pre 51 ls430 or ls400 good v8's think they are nearly the same mpg as the 300
i had a 96 ls400 a few years ago best car i have ever owned it was quick yet so smooth and so quite i was looking at a later shape ls400 before i got the trans am

they are well worth a look and not all to dear and they are a lot of car for the money and very safe

I've always been fond of the Lexus brand. I've driven the GS300 (not, current, but immediately preceding one) and like them very much. Not desperately involving to drive, a 5 series is almost certainly better in that respect. Not tried a GS430 - that should surely be very lively by anyone's standards. The 300 struck me dumb with its sheer refinement and isolation from, err, everything. I my opinion it makes an S-Class Mercedes Benz seem uncouth and intrusive.

Lexus also has a reputation for unburstable reliability (and I maintain my cars hard anyway) so perhaps that's the route for me.

It's not that I dislike diesel, much the opposite, but the engines have got sooooo complex in a bid to make them, quick, smooth and quiet that I wonder whether a traditional inline 6 petrol would be a better proposition for me. The elegance is in the simplicity.

glad your ok hdi, but my advise is to drive a car asap, anything just so you dont get turned off by the fright

Having driven my neighbours Toyota Landcruiser yesterday (he's kindly offered use of it to me between now and when I get another car) I have to say that much as I'm not a 4x4 fan for various reasons - namely the modest performance and slightly roly poly handling, I do like the additional vision the high driving position allows. I've felt much the same way about vehicles such as the Renault Scenics / Espaces etc.

Is it worth me considering such a vehicle on merits of the commanding view of the road? I've never before thought about this. Clearly I can't afford an X5 or Porsche Cayenne but is there something more modest out there that will give me decent performance and handling?

My thoughts are all a bit confused at the moment. If I go for a 4x4 it might well have to be derv otherwise I'm looking at 18mpg or less even.

It's the high position that I like - I don't really have a great call for 4wd

Eurgh no please don't get a 4x4. Big stupid things. Rubbish fuel consumption, heavy as ought, and roly poley as jam. Not to mention you can't park the thing anywhere smaller than a five-a-side football pitch and let's not forget the turning circle of an articulated lorry.

Then you'd need a monster engine for it to actually move anywhere (VW Toureg V12 TDI?) Plus everyone thinks you're a w*nker or a milf on the school run.

how about something like the honda CRVwhich uses front wheel drive and only engages the rear axle when slip, wheelspin, is detected (not sure if the larger HRV is the same)

the last shogun i was in also had the option for 2wd, 4wd or low ratio 4wd

I don't really, really, want, and definitely don't need a 4x4. Honda CRV is a VERY good suggestion however. The HR-V is a smaller vehicle but could still be adequate.

I may well still stick with a saloon/hatch/estate car anyway. I'm just examining all the options available at the moment.

I'll have to buy pre-2006 if it's got over band K 225g/km Co2 rating otherwise it's four hundred quid a year road tax.

I don't yet know the budget as insurers have yet to examine car and quantify the write-off value.

Much as it's the off the peg choice I'm sniffing around the post 2001 Mondeo at the moment. If it's a derv then it's gonna have to be the 2.2 TDCi (the 2.0 is too slow) but that's manual only so perhaps the slightly more sober but still lively 2.5 V6 with two pedal transmission. The St 3.2 V6 is too pricey. and. I think, manual only. Not interested in 2.0 petrol ones.

Paranoia leads me to a post 02 Renault Laguna on account of it's superb EuroNCAP rating but they're so unreliable I'm likely to spend six months out of twelve driving about in a Clio courtesy car while it's being fixed - kind of defeats the object.

Subary Legacy 2.5?? Anyone driven one? What do you think of it?

I'm wary of Volvo and Saab because the servicing costs can be crippling.

At the moment I still like the idea of a E39 BMW 5 series - and I'm really not fussed about the 530d because they attract such a price premium over the petrol models.

The 535i V8 is dirt cheap because no-one want's the running costs but in reality they're well built cars, their elegance is in the simplicity and classic FR design and with 245bhp the 5spd auto won't hold it back too badly at all really :)

What about the Mazda 6 and even the Mazda 3 - at one point they shared the Focus RS or ST engine and is a real scortching hot hatch. I am still genuinely suprised with the power on offer in these.

Might be worth looking at an Audi All road if you want a bit of ride height.

It probably worth having a chat with Celtic for suggestions. If they remap your next car it will lift its performance dramatically.

I think you might be on to something with the 535i though.

Have a look on autotrader for your current car to get an idea on how much the insurers will offer you. You will also be due some injury compensation and a few days loss of earnings so this can all go towards the new car.

lol.gif
lol.gif

mmm didnt pick up that swear word there.

what plently of boot space for you,sit slightly high. petrol
great lighting for the road, i could go on

The inside is so cool. My dad had a red leather interior and it was really unexpected. Pugly on the outside Pugnificent on the inside. Do drive one at least to see what they are like. They might even still do the 2.2 you are soo pleased with.

The 2.0HDi is now rated at 136bhp and should remap similarly to my old 2.2 so perhaps not to be ignored. I'd like automatic transmission preferably.