Poor man's Prelude!

MTJ

Wrench Pro
Car
'95 Prelude 2.0i
As you may have seen from another thread I bought a 1995 Prelude 2.0i for £500 and it passed the MoT first time which i'm exstatic about quite frankly!!

It is not the VTEC model that the rest of you seem to have, it is therefore the poor man's spec!! :lol::lol:

My question is though, performance wise she seems to take off very well. What kind of bhp can I get from her with her standard block + head?
Is it worth going VTEC, the H22A i've heard so much of?
I use my car as a daily driver, is the mpg really going to be effected if I drove it "sensibly"? What kind of mpg do you get without the spirited driving?
If I were to go VTEC what would be the best version + Year to go for?
Would I need a different gearbox?
Is there alot of splicing to do of looms etc or are the electrical parts pretty much interchangable?
Why do I ALWAYS buy a car as a dialy one and end up spending a fortune on modifying it?? :lol::lol::lol:

I think we all end up spending more than we planned on our cars. VTEC is definately the way forward though.

I'm definately not alone in that then!! :lol::lol::lol:

I had a sneaky suspicion VTEC would be the way to go, just need two things:
Someone else to blame for me spending my money!
And of course advice on the more difficult things, that mass of electrics.

all preludes 2.0 2.2 2.3 vtec or not have the same set up chassis and suspension wise
even the 4 wheel steer system is the same, only differance is drives with 4ws and a trailing arm if without 4 wheel steer, so an engine swap is straight foward

only diferance about the wires is 1 scart and its for the vtec solonoid, you;ll need this and the ecu, which will plug straight in

That sounds pretty well straight forward.

Time to save up a little cash then:blink1:

Prevtec, you're not that far away from me I believe, i'm up at Ardglass, County Down, up North.
Great motor, already seen the pics.;)

That sounds pretty well straight forward.

Time to save up a little cash then:blink1:

Prevtec, you're not that far away from me I believe, i'm up at Ardglass, County Down, up North.
Great motor, already seen the pics.;)
aaiihhh mate lol, thanks for the compliment, i sent you a visitor message
talk to me through that mate, just so we dont go off topic

theres a few around in ireland mate that are proper mt vtec for cheap
id save up for 1 of them, probably cost you less than doing a conversion, those engines and gearbox go for around 800 - 1000 euro, thats without fitting

i know there was a 92 si vtec mt in dublin for sale for 1900 euro black (same spec as mine)

so i mean what to do you know??

save up and we;ll see whats available, id keep an eye out down here for you no bother, and the plus side if you do buy 1 straight out, you;ll have a donor car for spare parts, because their all the same, just differant engines, and beleive me, thats a good thing because parts are a bit costly

Thanks, yep, sorry for going a little off topic.:embarrest: It's the mind, it has a tendency to wander at times!! :lol::lol:

Cheers, i'd appreciate that mate but for now what I may do is fix the few wee bits up and sell her on then and then buy a Vtec, that makes a little sense. If you could keep an eye out in your neck of the woods then i'd definately appreciate it too. Mind you i'll get a few feelers out up here. i was in a bit of a hurry to buy this one as I needed a car for last Wednesday.

What to do .......... :confused::confused::confused:

ah well at least now you have a great car and something to look foward too,
im going to add you as a friend, it will be easier to locate you mate, and yeah no bother i will look out for you

Hi and welcome. Excellent choice of vehicle. Preludes are cracking motors and are future classics for sure now they're not made. I'm still stuck in the flippy up headlight era :lol: but the mk 4 was a radical redesign in it's day and still looks good today. Good luck with your future modifications :cool:

Thanks again to you guys too.

ANd yes the flippy up ones (hard to keep up with all this technical jargon!! LOL) do look the part too. A little more classic than modern though.

Mk3 flippy lights best of the lot shame the engines in them were so weak up side was they weighed nothing.

Seem to remember they were quite free revving but all the 150bhp of power at top end which none of the old phogies that tended to buy them ever exploited. A lot were auto boxes aswell from what I remember, many years ago though now, me old memory box is getting duller :confused: But yes the shape was lovely. Does anyone remember the Mk 1 then, sort of an Accord coupe shape with the twin headlights. Might have to go find some old pics and start a new thread now ;)

Thanks again to you guys too.

ANd yes the flippy up ones (hard to keep up with all this technical jargon!! LOL) do look the part too. A little more classic than modern though.

Classic's are best, individual because they're rare. Always get people coming upto you to chat when you're parked up. Insurance is peanuts with pre-arranged guaranteed value if written off. I drive 3 vehicles but love my 20 year old one the best, smile factor guaranteed :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

mines was the 110bhp is i remember 2.0 twin carb. really wanted to swap out the engine but couldnt find one. found a H22a JDM mk4 in a scrappy a while later. last time i was down it was still sitting there. wished id found it earlier imagine the fun

cant remember the Mk1 but thats because they were proberly older than me

Classic's are best, individual because they're rare. Always get people coming upto you to chat when you're parked up. Insurance is peanuts with pre-arranged guaranteed value if written off. I drive 3 vehicles but love my 20 year old one the best, smile factor guaranteed :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Before the Prelude I drove and still have a 1978 Reliant Scimitar GTE and a 1969 much modified Land Rover Airportable. Always loved the attention I got. I had to drive a 4x4 Mondeo 2.0 for a bit. Don't get me wrong it was quite a capable car and a bit of a rarity but you didn't get a second look:sad2:

The prelude at least get's a bit of attantion, more smile factor for sure.:blink1::D

Yeah, quite unusual over here especially. Mine has straight through S'Steel twin exhausts and is raucous to say the least. Not particulary subtle. She's had a load of work and as usual awaiting a load more, as time + funds allow.

I always did like them, ever since my Dad bought one many moons ago. He still has it although it's in dire need of restoration.

As you may have seen from another thread I bought a 1995 Prelude 2.0i for £500 and it passed the MoT first time which i'm exstatic about quite frankly!!

It is not the VTEC model that the rest of you seem to have, it is therefore the poor man's spec!! :lol::lol:

My question is though, performance wise she seems to take off very well. What kind of bhp can I get from her with her standard block + head?
Is it worth going VTEC, the H22A i've heard so much of?
I use my car as a daily driver, is the mpg really going to be effected if I drove it "sensibly"? What kind of mpg do you get without the spirited driving?
If I were to go VTEC what would be the best version + Year to go for?
Would I need a different gearbox?
Is there alot of splicing to do of looms etc or are the electrical parts pretty much interchangable?
Why do I ALWAYS buy a car as a dialy one and end up spending a fortune on modifying it?? :lol::lol::lol:
Lol, the world may never know.

Finally got my finger out and got some pics, in between rain!!:blink::bigsmile:

prelude002.jpg

By pbi, shot with KODAK EASYSHARE M753 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-09-02
prelude004e.jpg

By pbi, shot with KODAK EASYSHARE M753 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-09-02
Absolutely standard bar the wheels but probably not for much longer!!

On the subject of the wheels though, anyone know what they are off? The memory might be going but aren't they very similar to Type R rims?

Not quite tbh, I had just picked up my nephew from school, had washed it the day previous and at that point it wasn't raining, it did however shortly afterwards and hasn't stopped for days now!!!!
I hate the bleedin weather!! :lol::lol::lol:

The pics look better than reality, she has some rust in the rear arches, some scratches and the like, but all will be done, just got to make room in the sheds first so I can get her under cover and away from the Swallows!!