polo mk4 6n steering wheel installing

joshy1991

Torque Junkie
Car
nissan 200sx s14a
hi guys and gals. just got myself a new steering wheel and wondered how to get it on the car. i know i need to buy a boss kit. but wondered how to install it. is it just unscrew and screw new on. and is there anyway i can use the standard boss kit to fit the new wheel on.

cheers.

sorry bout all the treads i dunno how to delete them.
:(

You will generally get instructions with the Boss kit. Unless the wheel was purchased for your specific model of car it will need an adapter boss to fit.

Things to note, the horn will need wiring to the new wheel. If the old wheel has an airbag this will need to be disconnected and removed, sometimes cars will complain if the air bag is removed and you'll get an airbag warning light come on.

Overall it is a fairly simple job to do. Just take your time and read the instructions, never assume it will be easy to do without reading them.:D

as waynne says the most difficult thing will be the removal of the airbag(if it has 1?)
but make sure your boss is specific for your car cause some universal 1's dont switch the indicators off
and dont bash your new wheel on cause you can knock the steering rack out of alignment and you get very stiff steering and a horrible clunk (speaking from my own experience here;))

hi guys i have fitted the boss and wheel . the boss was specific for my car. i am struggling with the horn wireing up process .

the instructions show pics of wires which are not relevant to my car. the horn on the pics have a 2 split wire so basically two wires positive and negative . whereas mine is just one wire that splits into the 2 horn buttons on the origianl steering wheel. so how do i connect it . any ideas will be grateful. there is a metal disc that came with the boss kit which sits behind the wheel and when i connect the horn wire to that the horn is just constantly on. help plz

only thing i could think of would be if the wire coming to it was "live" and earthed through the steering wheel itself. this seems an awkward way of doing it as i thin youd need a relay of sort as well

I beg to differ on this. this is the simplest way to wire a horn.

While you are absolutely correct in the suggestion of reversing the polarity, what this gentleman needs to do, in my opinion, is check the polarity of the wires coming out of the steering column and ground the earth(-ve) to any metal part of the searing column assembly.

Then he can connect the other wire to the metal ring. which would the complete the circuit.

He would also find mebbe 2 metal strips, which some amount of flexibility on the inside of the steering wheel, when he turns it over.

These in turn assist in completing the connection by rubbing against the metal ring.

The horn button would have an inherent grounding inside the body, where one wire goes to the switch/button and the other is ground thru' the metal of the assembly.

And if you say that there are 2 wires coming out of the steering wheel then one needs to be connected to earth, and the usual way of doing it is through a slot that would be provided in the wheel housing, wrapping it around a washer which fits over the 19mm diameter of the steering column and after placing this washer over the metal rod of the steering assembly, tightening the lock nut, thus providing the earth for the -ve terminal.

As far as the relay goes, it would most probably be in the engine compartment, placed close to the battery, so as to reduce internal impedance of the wires, and thus provide maximum current to the horn. But most times this relay is installed with twin horns and not the usual continental one bellow pieces usually fitted by car manufacturers, to save production cost.

And about the indicators coming on n off. the plastic housing where the metal ring sits, would have little pinholes on the underside where a 1/4 inch in length pin (usually supplied with the wheel or else can be removed from the original with a pair of pliers) fits in snugly. This pin brushes against the release mechanism of the indicators and they come back to inactive position from either side.

Care to be taken that the pin is inserted in the reciprocating hole, keeping the diameter of the original position in mind.

So in short;

Wire from the steering column connected to the metal ring.

Out of the two wires from the wheel, one to the steering hub with the washer, and the other to the metal strips rubbing down on the ring.

Yeah, now I guess this should do it.

Sorry for so many edits, as me memory fails me. ;)

Last edited: