polo 6n engine transplant

richbennett

Car
1.3polo 6n
hi guys,

i gota 1.3 polo at min , looking to swap to a bigger engine in the next few months, just wondering what engine to go for thats not gunna cost the earth but will give a reasonable perfance increase 1.3's are waaaay to slow.

any help/advice muchly appreciated

hey and welcome.

rather than an engine swap have you thought about changing the car ?
the other option to concider is the fact your insurance will go up - generally a 1.3 polo with a 1.6 engine fitted will cost more to insure than the standard 1.6 polo

hey thanks for the reply, i have thought about it but my 6n is also sentimental value to me aswel ( last thing my father gave me before illness) as just been a car so im not really worried about payin a bit more on insurance, plus iv already done a loada work to my polo haha.for the 1.8 turbo is that a big mess about to get fitted? id be doin most work myself along side some friends who no a fair bit about cars/engines but have never had a go at this transplant,
regards

rich

from the 1.4 to 1.6 you jsut need engine and ECU i think but not sure on the 1.3 i think you would need the ECU, engine loom, gearbox, etc

the 1.8t is a nice unit but fitting it can be an issue as the ECU needs work done to get passed the imobiliser etc. another idea might be the ABF 2.0 from the mk3 golf gti 16v

I have changed the 1.0 AER engine of the polo 6n, with the AEE 1.6 engine but you have to change the gearbox, ECU and because the loom is different I went to the 1.4 ECU on the same loom of the 1.0.
but I'm thinking of crossing the MAF and Coolant sensor wiring to accommodate the 1.6 ecu and see what will happen