Police made me remove my tints

beemer lee

Wrench Pro
Car
FORD FOCUS 1.8 TDDi
Re: I hate boy racers

One thing that really annoyed me last week was the wonderful boys in blue made me rip my front window tints out before they would let me be on my way they said it was a so called safer bristol exercise,how about catching the illegal drivers out there instead,sorry to go on but they should be going after the illegal drivers who year upon year put all our insurance premiums up. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was thread worthy so you now have your own thread!

That is a real pain. I bet it looked nice with the tint as well. Was it a particularly heavy tint? I reckon they were having a slow night and just wanted someone to do!

Your prob right there waynne. I know someone who had the very same thing done to her golf. She did have limo tints though. I'm sure the law says that your front the windows have to let 75% of light through them. Did they use a laser on your windows or have you too got limo tints?

I thought this was thread worthy so you now have your own thread!

That is a real pain. I bet it looked nice with the tint as well. Was it a particularly heavy tint? I reckon they were having a slow night and just wanted someone to do!
hi waynne

it was a real pain mate as when i removed the tints it left the sticky residue behind so my first weekend off work for a long time was spent trying to get it off :(.the policesaid they have to let 70% light in and mine was only letting in 16.7% they were dark admittedly but if any thing i found them a bonus as they cut out a lot of glare from headlights ,sun etc i will be getting them done again but legal of course :).

hi turbonutter

yes they had there little light with them they looked so bloody smug watching me ripping them off they werent limo tints people could still see me sat in the drivers seat plus they had the VOSA baffoons with them checking everything else on the car as well what a complete waste of tax payers money they had about 25 coppers there,2 riot vans and about 10 plastic coppers(PCSO's)plus the VOSA brigade i was lucky though as they let me go there was a recovery truck turning up hope they seized an illegal drivers car.:)

what makes you think that then haha,i was fuming mate but didnt fancy a night in the cells after a long day at work did notice some of the police cars had tints though,DONT DO AS I DO,DO AS I SAY.i have been told they are doing it a lot down this end of the country not sure about the rest of the uk watch out the car driver is on the recieving end yet again :(.

I think with so many drivers removing their cats they will have a field day. I've always recommened sports cats over decat for this reason, plus there is naff all power difference between them.

thanks for your commiserations xavier

i cannot tell you how very annoying it was to actually vandalise my own car those tints do not come off very easy i can tell you,had to do it with my bare finger tips whole the police juststood by and watched :(

Your prob right there waynne. I know someone who had the very same thing done to her golf. She did have limo tints though. I'm sure the law says that your front the windows have to let 75% of light through them. Did they use a laser on your windows or have you too got limo tints?

Actually, it is now illegal to have any tints on the front of the car. Personally I don't see why. Probably so they can just pick on you if you have them!

unlucky mate.
Cops seem to be coming down really hard at the mo, i think its because its coming to the end of the year and making sure they've met their targets???

Beware the Bald tyres - you can get points and a fine for that. Is it 2mm accross two thirds of the tyre nowadays?

Re: I hate boy racers

One thing that really annoyed me last week was the wonderful boys in blue made me rip my front window tints out before they would let me be on my way they said it was a so called safer bristol exercise,how about catching the illegal drivers out there instead,sorry to go on but they should be going after the illegal drivers who year upon year put all our insurance premiums up. :(

I know that I am an old know-it-all fart, but if you had taken the time to check the regulations, you wouldn't have put an illegal tint on your front glass in the first place! This is something that is regularly mentioned in the car mags, even Fast Car and Redline.

What would you have preferred them do, let you take the tint off or impound your car as un-roadworthy?

If you don't want the hassle, check on the legality of your mods prior to spending valuable time and money on them. You can still go ahead with the mod and enjoy it until caught :) But don't then bitch about it. My Toy (Robin Hood kit car) has a motor cycle front plate as it looks much better. It is illegal but I am prepared to take the risk. I won't moan on here if and when I get stopped and told to remove it.

A car with illegal tints stands out like a sore thumb so is an easy target, why invite pain? Similar to fancy number plates and noisy exhausts.

Illegal drivers? With illegal tints you are one of them, albeit not one of the worst offenders :)

Last edited:
Actually, it is now illegal to have any tints on the front of the car. Personally I don't see why. Probably so they can just pick on you if you have them!

Lifted from:
http://www.4youngdrivers.com/information-
18/modifying-laws-28/61.htm

As of January 1st 2004, new legislation was brought in that prohibits window tinting.
The Law:
You are not allowed to tint your windscreen or front windows AT ALL. Anything forward of the B pillar (middle of the car) MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows.
If you've tinted you windows before January that does not mean that you are safe, if the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can issue you with an order to have it removed.
Why was this law brought in?
The reason this law was introduced was that there was a serious accident between a motorbike and a heavily modified car with very dark tints. It was believed that the root cause of the accident was that the driver couldn't see well enough through his tinted windows.

I got pulled over for the tints (In) yes in not on my front windows. Comes from the factory like that. Stupid cop couldn't understand that a 30% tint was built into the glass, even when i took the scraper thingy he gave me to remove it and proceded to smear up my window trying to remove no existant tint film. He then gave me a fix-it ticket, basically stating i have 5 days to replace my wings, front windows and windshield or pay a $255 fine. Took that to the judge with a brochure from when my truck was marketed, showing the optional tinted windows. Judge just laughed and threw out the ticket.

All glass restricts light transmission. Hold up a piece of glass to the sun and it will cast a shadow. You can't practically enforce a no tint but I think the 75% light allowed in still applies and factory tints will be within that.

Darker back tints and light front tints can still make the front seem quite tinted as there is little light in the car from the backs. Also polishing your glass to a mirror finish will further add to your anonimity.

that just sounds like to much work wayne. ill stick with just the general wipedown while filling up at the pump.

You guys have good pumps though, that clip into the 'on' position, so you can do something else while its filling.

We have to hold ours on, probably something to do with Health and Safety or some sort of excuse.

more than likely its due to the increasing laziness of most americans. it isn't convienent to have to stand there and hold the nozzle while our tanks fill. we have to be able to get back in the car and listen to the radio.

more than likely its due to the increasing laziness of most americans. it isn't convienent to have to stand there and hold the nozzle while our tanks fill. we have to be able to get back in the car and listen to the radio.

There is that, of course, but I'm lazy too, and sadly stuck in this ice locker of a country. Haha