Please read!!!

Power? Not a lot. Cheapest way to accelerate faster with a 1.1 NA engine is to push it. Second cheapest is to lighten it by removing seats, spare wheel etc etc. A well thought out induction kit may net you a couple of horsepower and can probably be constructed for around £40.

I have an induction kit fitted already, but it sitting right behind the radiator so it's not really feeding any cold air, do you think that could prevent a bit of power?

Yes it's highly possible it could be loosing you power and torque over standard. I would pipe it to lower down and/or feed cold air to it.

Depending on the cars current mechanical condition a good service can make a hell of a difference too.

Yeah where they air box used to be it connected to something at the bottom of the engine bay I suppose I could put a bit or pipe or possibly fit the air box back on and sit the cone into the air box. It does need a good service I think and I guess new spark plug could help maybe? Thanks mate!

Only one way to get a resonable increase in power from a small engine -
Nitrous.

NO IT WON'T if you keep the power increase to a safe level. Engines only blow because people don't know what the hell they are doing and get greedy.

Any excess power will blow your engine, regardless as to how it is produced.

Talk to the likes of Wizard of Nos with regard to how much nitrous your engine can SAFELY handle.

The beauty of nitrous is your engine will still let you pootle around with good fuel economy but with the option of extra power at the touch of a button.

The kick even a small injection of nitrous gives is like no other form of tuning as it is instant. You get the power where you need it, not at the top of the rev range 'normal' tuning of a N/A engine relies on.

Last edited:
But nos is really only for short bursts isn't it. I just want like more power for every day driving. I know everyone says to just buy a faster car but I'd rather keep what I have and do what I can to it to increase power etc

You won't get a satisfactory power increase from a 1.1 engine using traditional tuning methods, period. The engine just can't suck in enough air.

Nitrous force feeds the engine extra oxygen so more fuel can be burnt. It is simply chemical supercharging.

A big exhaust will slow the gasses which will increase back pressure and reduce the scavaging effect. This will restrict the engines capacity to draw in air and fuel so decreasing power output.

On a small engine exhaust size is critical and manufacturers have got it pretty much right.

If the new wheels and tyres weigh more than the originals this will also reduce the car's performance.

You can probably get away with a 20-25mm drop without affecting the suspension and steering geometry too much.

Nissan almera 2001. Looks like the consensus is to save my money.

My opinion it's up to you what you want to do to your car people say that there's no point in doing things to your car but if you want to you do it. If its a diesel ten you can get it remapped and decat it and get a sports cat with full straight through pipe, decent indication kit and possible turbo it if you can afford it that's where the main power comes from I think. But it's all down you to be honest mate!

My opinion it's up to you what you want to do to your car people say that there's no point in doing things to your car but if you want to you do it. If its a diesel ten you can get it remapped and decat it and get a sports cat with full straight through pipe, decent indication kit and possible turbo it if you can afford it that's where the main power comes from I think. But it's all down you to be honest mate!

totally agree with that but my plan was to keep it looking standard but go for power, so no point really, nitrous feels like a cheat button to me.(just my opinipn obvs)

totally agree with that but my plan was to keep it looking standard but go for power, so no point really, nitrous feels like a cheat button to me.(just my opinipn obvs)

Well then just go for the induction kit and turbo and remap it. That's all under the bonnet. The only things you could Change on the outside is wheels as and exhaust but if you're wanting it totally standard on the outside don't bother getting wheels and an exhaust

Well then just go for the induction kit and turbo and remap it. That's all under the bonnet. The only things you could Change on the outside is wheels as and exhaust but if you're wanting it totally standard on the outside don't bother getting wheels and an exhaust

Good advice, cheers mate.

Tbh why bugger about turboing a 1.1? It will kill your insurance premiums anyway, youd need to upgrade brajes, suspension, exhaust, everyhting so if you like 206s why not just buy a gti? 140 or 180. Better toys too

Tbh why bugger about turboing a 1.1? It will kill your insurance premiums anyway, youd need to upgrade brajes, suspension, exhaust, everyhting so if you like 206s why not just buy a gti? 140 or 180. Better toys too

I ain't gunna turbo it yeah I agree that it will cost a fortune and I may as well get a gti but it was just curious as to what I could do to it to make it quicker