please help with my JDM D16z6 build!!

lt93civic

Wrench Pro
Car
93 Civic, jdm d16zc
i have a 1993 honda civic EX coupe, engine swap went bad (long story)
i am going to be purchasing a JDM d16zc sohc vtec, (the D is the only series i want atm so please don't just say i should get a k, h, j, or a b series, i will build one of these later on)
this is the list of parts i have come up with so far for the build.
-Pauter Machine X-Beam 4340 Connecting Rods
-ferrea competition plus valves
-supertech bronze valve guides
-supertech valve seals
-supertech single valvesprings & Ti retainer kit
-supertech Block guard
-ARP headstuds
-gates racing kevlar timing belt
-ACL Race Main Bearings
-CP Forged Pistons(9.0:1)
-6040, Series 2 ecu, pnp '92-95 civic/delsol/integra:OBD1 Bisimoto's website
-GO-AUTOWORKS 62MM Pro Kit*
*which includes*
*S362 V-Band Outlet 76.3/67.6 Turbine Wheel 0.70 A/R
*GO-AUTOWORKS Ramhorn Manifold
*GO-AUTOWORKS 3" Downpipe
*GO-AUTOWORKS SS Dumptube
*Bullseye Power S362 .70 a/r turbo
*Precision 46MM Wastegate or Tial 44MM MVR wastegate
*Tial 50MM Blow Off Valve
*GO-AUTOWORKS Pro Oil kit
*GO-AUTOWORKS Race Charge Pipe Kit
*GO-AUTOWORKS Front Mount Intercooler
*Siliconoe Couplers
*Stainless T Bolt Clamps
-Level 2.4, Z6 Turbo Street/Race billet, vtec(camshaft)bisimoto's site
-2MS, '92-95 civic clutch bisimoto's site
-GReddy Spectrum Elite SE Exhaust System
-Zex Nitrous 82021 - ZEX EFI Nitrous Systems
-NTK Oxygen Sensors
-NGK V-Power spark plugs
-NGK Wire Sets
-Koyo High Performance Radiator
-GReddy PRofec B-Spec II Boost Controller
-Blox Throttle Body 76mm
-Weapon R Stainless Steel Race Headers
-Weapon R Angled O2 Sensor CEL Eliminator
would i need. --Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake
(i know i need a +.040" overbore for the pistons(76mm), port and polish, and some notching for the pauter rods(my friends machine shop will be doing all that) i want to sleeve the block as well, for safety)

i also know i need to get higher cc injectors, not sure where to find them, a better then oem fuel pump(agian not sure where to look) some kind of suspension system and racing axle's but im not sure where to find those at, plus im not sure if the stock transmission will be good or should i find another?

thats what i have so far. i know its alot of money but its not like ill be buying everything at once, it'll take me about 6 to get it all.
if you think something is overkill or that there is a better part out there let me know. all help is greatly appreciated. this is my first honda and i want her fast.
thanks!!
and if you think it looks good could you tell me so i know im on the right track.

Last edited:
Not sure about the ECU as that is probably out with my remitt, the throttle bodies should work with what you are after, I would maybe consider getting the car run on a rolling road and a custom ECU built if money isn't really an object. I would get the throttle bodies installed along with the turbo upgrades as suggested as I don't think you are going to get better than what you have suggested. Also chuck in a Mugen exhaust system to get the best from the back pressure and then go for a custom remap as this should give you a good result.

Have you considered supercharging as opposed to turbo as this may be an option that is often overlooked.

It's not very often you hear of a supercharged civic but I'm sure theres potential out there and some advice to be given. This may involve railing the engine and pushing some more pressure through the engine along with a screw supercharger rather than a route supercharger to get the best compression range for quick acceleration accross the range.

Let me know what you think but again this is just something else to consider.

I'd maybe take a look at this for superchargers. I just think that it's a better option given what you are aiming for;

http://www.supercharger.com/shop/viewproducts.aspx?plateindexid=33370

You can give them a call on 888-888-4079 (america ....... obviously) and they should be able to price this out for you. I'm not sure but I would expect to put 2k away to purchase and fit ht e charger and possibly seek advice on putting the throttle bodies into the mix with the charger as these should work together I would think.

My goal was actually to twin charge it in the beggining, so i got low and high rpm boost, but i am looking for more then 10psi boost from the supercharger that fits the d16. ill call them and see if they have one that can do what im looking for. That would be awesome if they could custom build one that would be great, thanks for the website and phone number. Ill let you know what they say!!

Last edited:
Why would you twin turbo it? That's why you boost the z6, because it has SOHC VTEC. The VTEC would add that second kick. The turbo conversion is actually quite popular over here amongst the Honda boys so there is plenty of information about. The exhaust may have to be custom built, along with the manifold and de-cat.

I can't help think though for all the money you are spending you could just K20 it.

not twinturbo, twincharge. like a supercharger and a turbocharger. they have it in a few vehichles ive read about and i want to have the first civic with it. and im going with the d16 because i can afford the engine now and drive it while i buy all the upgrades, get it done in like 6 months and race it, with the k20 it would take me 3 months to buy it then another 6 or 7 to finish building it, and i need to be able to drive it within a few weeks. so maybe the next engine will be a k series but i dont have the upfront money to put it in.

Twin charging an engine is somewhat wrought with difficulties though. I get the idea and to explain in short for anyone that doesn't understand the concept;

The supercharger is attached to the engine mounted before the turbo so that in the lower rev ranges the supercharger gives all the added power to the engine. As it is driven directly from the engine the power is automatic and does not have any inertia (turbo lag) therefore you don't need to wait for the turbo to get up to speed to get the extra power. When the turbo is spinning at it's full song a divert valve comes into play directing the air away from the supercharger completely and then pushing it into the turbo for compression. The idea behind all this wizardary is that you don't get any lag and you have a consistent and steady power gain from the engine. It's a really good idea and has been around for a while.

In this instance though I'd suggest that if you were going down the road of twin charging that you strengthen the engine in every possible way you can as the supercharger is notoriously heavy and tends to put a massive strain on the engine in comparison to the turbo option. I'd maybe even get the engine cryo dipped to stregthen the block. Also if you are thinking of a supercharger for this set up the best option is a route supercharger (I think that should be roots but oh well). The reason being that as the supercharger spins at higher revs it starts to be less functional and starts to eat away at itself. The route charger will usually get you to about 4000 rpm before starting to lose it's effectiveness by which time a decent sized garrett turbo will be ready to take over.

I'd weigh it up as there are a lot of draw backs, the main one being can the engine take the pressure?!?!? Don't get me wrong the noise the car would make would be incredible and if you went for a top mounted route charger just poking out the top of the hood it would look insane as well!! The only other point really is the cost involved as it is a needy project and the list you have put at the start of the thread would only be an initial shopping list if you were going down this road.

Did you get any feed back from Jackson's?

Ah ok. I've learnt something new :).

I still don't see the point though tbh. You don't need the turbo to kick in at high RPM as that is what VTEC does. If anything, you'd have the turbo lower down before the VTEC.

How much power are you aiming for with this setup?

im looking for around 650hp +, no reason i cant get more. and no email back from jacksons, i am going to call them today. i want the turbo as well because the vtec doesn't put out enough power for my liking. i want a drag car, not looking for street. i want as fast as possible from it. bisi got a d16z6 to 724hp with just turbo, no supercharger or nitrous. so i'd like more but he's beyond a pro and im just a guy with a few friends willing to help me build it haha

Last edited:
The grief and problems fitting a charger and a turbo to a engine that hasnt been done before are to put it mildly massive.

Also if you want that level of power (as in even 550+) you need is a really serious ecu and someone who can proffessionally map it .
Without that you risk engine bits breaking everywhere. A P28 isnt ANYWHERE NEAR GOOD ENOUGH.

A sensible ecu like a g2 will cost £2K (you did say cost wasnt a problem )

Also - obviously its your car but I cant help thinking this isnt being done the right way.

Vtec can only do so much it isnt the cure of the worlds problem
You need to be able to flow gases big time surley a better engine (k20 as previously suggested) is soooo much a better place to start and again you did say price not an issue

Best of luck but you really are best off starting with the best base if you want to go as far as you say you do .
650 will cause all kinds of other problems -apart from the obvious clutch theres the gearbox and drive train neither will last long with that power.
And that just the start
. You still need

im looking for around 650hp +, no reason i cant get more. and no email back from jacksons, i am going to call them today. i want the turbo as well because the vtec doesn't put out enough power for my liking. i want a drag car, not looking for street. i want as fast as possible from it. bisi got a d16z6 to 724hp with just turbo, no supercharger or nitrous. so i'd like more but he's beyond a pro and im just a guy with a few friends willing to help me build it haha

The VTEC on the Z6 is SOHC, not the better DOHC. As Sleeper says you are going to run into quite a lot of problems with this. One of which is that a FWD car just can't put down that kind of power.

I would add that unless you have a special relationship with this particular civic the idea of using one is flawed .
It will struggle to put down 400 on the road let alone 650 .
Thats why 600 bhp skylines are common and 600 bhp civics are not.

It is a very common mistake thinking that all you need is mucho bhp - it isnt
All parts of the car have to be uprated to this level - especially the driver.

But if you must do this good luck.................you will need it.

ive seen multiple d16z6 engines with higher then 600hp. it may not be common but it can be done. and they don't make a supercharger for this engine anymore. i've called 3 different compainies and they all said no. so turbo and nitrous will be my forms of boost.

ok, i didn't put up this thread for you guys to tell me what can't be done!! i just wanted help with parts to build my engine. and since only one of you has actually done that im going to try a different site. thanks for you help rustyboy 4. and thanks for the hating the rest of you

ok, i didn't put up this thread for you guys to tell me what can't be done!! i just wanted help with parts to build my engine. and since only one of you has actually done that im going to try a different site. thanks for you help rustyboy 4. and thanks for the hating the rest of you

Pardon me!! :amazed: With the good on occasion - must also come the bad! The chaps here on this website have only your best intentions at heart, and they are here to save and prevent you from making some very costly mistakes!
If you feel that you have been failed in this instance, then I wish you the very best off luck with your further information search, and I do hope that you find all of the information that you seek.

I really despise this 'haters' bull ****. We are not haters for disagreeing with you. Stop being so ungrateful. This forum was free for you to register, free for you to post and ask questions and just because you don't get the response you wanted you call us haters.

I could actually tell you a few sites to go to, but you will still get the same responses (if you really want PM me and I'll send the links).

I personally see the flaws in your plan and have tried to offer some friendly advice for you to think about. Whether or not you listen is up to you, but that certainly does make me a hater.

Good luck with your project.

FWD cars cannot put down that kind of power. It'll be torque steering everywhere. Turbo Z6s usually put out around 200bhp.

That is an actual drag car making it a pointless comparison imo, and I doubt that it's running a D16Z6 engine.

You only said Fwd cars cannot put that amount of power down.
This is a wrong thing to say. Any amount of power is possible.
Setup is the key not the amount of power being produced.

Sorry guys to jump into the fray here and mess up all of the above comments but it looks like this has already been done to a civic and more impressively the 1.6 d16z6 in question. Check out ENMO Civic on a youtube search!

Just to fire up the debate a notch I have not too long ago seen a puegot 206 GTI running just over 500bhp at the wheels so as turbonutter says it's not impossible it's just bloody costly!!!