Planning a tuning project

buy one already done or at least the majority of work done. If I could do it all again that is what I would do. Saves money and a lot of messing around.
Obviously if you have owned the car from start to finish you get the satisfaction of seeing it transform and know what has been done and any issues. The money just adds up massively and a lot of waiting around for stuff to get sorted that is a put off for me.

I have bought quite a few Siera Cosworths that have been modifed and I am very glad I was strippng them and not driving them. Most of the mods were amaturish at best and downright bloody dangerous at worst.

Do all the research and list your goals before starting on what for some is a wallet weight reduction journey.

No battle plan EVER survives contact with the enemy. Expect your plans, expectations and costs to change considerably during the build.

Not original, but I use it a lot :);

It was first used by Helmuth von Moltke the Elder, back in the mid to late 1800s:

Moltke's main thesis was that military strategyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategy had to be understood as a system of options since only the beginning of a military operation was plannable. As a result, he considered the main task of military leaders to consist in the extensive preparation of all possible outcomes. His thesis can be summed up by two statements, one of which is, translated into English as "No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength" (or "no plan survives contact with the enemy,").

I think this sums up car modifying plans perfectly :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_von_Moltke_the_Elder#cite_note-moltke-2

keep it simple!
with all the info available on the net research, research and research!
I'm not a mechanic by a long shot! But with Haynes manuals the net and my mates I have become competent enough to do most of the work on my vehicle's

Last edited:
One more thing is after you have planned out how to do all the mods/improvements?? and you think you have all bases covered and the costs all totaled up ADD 50% to cover any unforeseen costs that are bound to arise.

buy one already done or at least the majority of work done. If I could do it all again that is what I would do. Saves money and a lot of messing around.
Obviously if you have owned the car from start to finish you get the satisfaction of seeing it transform and know what has been done and any issues. The money just adds up massively and a lot of waiting around for stuff to get sorted that is a put off for me.
Buying a pre-modified car defeats the point of modifying, the car will never be yours. (if I sold my car tomorrow, it would always be known as Claymores Volvo)
All I would say is know your limitations, don't bite off more than you can chew.

Nothing much can be added by me to your superb pearls of wisdom there gentlemen! ;)

I will say this however; research it twice and spend just once!

Buying a pre-modified car defeats the point of modifying, the car will never be yours. (if I sold my car tomorrow, it would always be known as Claymores Volvo)
All I would say is know your limitations, don't bite off more than you can chew.

I know what you mean mate. If you buy the car already done mechanically then you can add all the touches you want inside and out to make it yours.
There are always things you can change to make it better for yourself. On mine I would like to change the steering wheel for something I like better. Once changed it will look quite different inside