"Pinking" Diesel

ourcassy

Wrench Pro
Car
Dacia Duster 4x4
Hi all, Not sure if this is an issue with my Dacia Duster Laurette, but from the day I bought it new, accelerating away results in a very pronounced "pinking" as used to be experienced with petrol engines, but even more pronounced.
If I ease of the throttle it stops, but there are
occasions when it's necessary to floor it. Even normal acceleration can produce the effect.
Any advise/ ideas?

Sounds like injector rattle which i believe it to do with overfueling in a diesel engine.
I wait to be put right on this ?-/

The engine might be throwing up some error codes which will help diagnose this.

Has the engine been modified or had the mapping changed at any point? Is there a loss of power or performance?

Try some BG244k in your next tank full, that will clear up any clogged injectors/EGR/DPF or similar carbon build up issues. I suspect though the problem is mechanical/electrical and probably a duff sensor somewhere causing over fuelling.

Thanks, The car has only done app 6k, & has had a new CAT fitted as there was a bad vibe at certain speeds, under certain loads. Other than the pinking, it runs fine, has a good turn of speed, but the closeness of the ratios between 2nd & 3rd leaves a lot to be desired, it can be gutless going into 3rd if a quick gear change is required.
I'm happy with the car, but I think a visit to the dealership is required.

Haven't contacted the dealership yet, been away. I will post up when I've spoken to the service dept, hopefully on Monday.

Hi all, just to wrap this thread up. I became aware that the "pinking" had sort of, erm! stopped? Now I haven't a clue why, after 7k mls, if it was possibly that the engine being new, that this phenomenon was the norm on this motor, but why should it be?
Anyway, it goes in for a minor warranty job in a couple of weeks, so I'll talk to the service manager then. Funny innit?
If the response is interesting, I'll post it up.

Did you get anywhere with this issue?

Happy New Year one & all. The warranty job involves the heater speeds. Only #4 is operational, #1, 2, & 3, aren't. The last update from Renault was that the part has arrived in France !! & that hopefully it will be available to be fitted around the end of this month. So the "pinking" question has not been put to them. But as I've said, I'll post-up when I take the car in. To overcome the misting up of the windows & to avoid the noisy blast from the heater on max speed obliterating any speech, I've lightly smeared fairy liquid on the windows & polished it off. I used to do this on the inside of my visor when I was part of the 'biking fraternity. Works a treat.

Crickey! doesn't time fly? I've just read through my OP & realised that I hadn't updated it. The "pinking" is still there, occasionally, & I'm not too concerned with it. I had the fuelling checked at the dealership & all was as it should be. Now that the engine has covered 18k+ & the mpg is always 45 ish, if it is over-fuelling, it doesn't seem serious. I've also have it on record at the dealership about the pinking, that if it blows the engine, I've had it checked out by the service dept. who said it was all okay.

The 1.5 dCi engines attract a bit of criticism for "engine rattle” noises and I believe it’s the injectors that cause it. Renault have played around with this engine to increase power and economy (a difficult balancing act at the best of times) but within the budget constraints imposed by Dacia prices. The injectors are still the old solenoid type, slower to react and noisier than the piezoelectric ones. They’ve quite possibly increased rail pressure and added an additional pulse into the injection phase so the solenoids are being worked harder. The answer would probably be to fit piezo type injectors and remap to suit but that might add about £1,000 to the vehicle price. Not on, methinks.

I’ve read some owners improve things by fitting additional sound proofing under the bonnet and on the bulkhead to reduce the noise.

@ourcassy or just turn up the radio, it's cheaper than buying ear plugs!

Proper servicing and good quality oil can go a long way to keeping an engine rattle free.

Underbonnet soundproofing is very effective. Engine mounts also transfer a lot of noise, when these are old and brittle it sounds lounder.

Hi Waynne, Didn't think my last post on this subject had gone through, as, realising I'd broached this in 2014 I cancelled the new post.
Anyway, there's no change whatsoever, still "pinking" but then there are times when it doesn't?? So I'm no longer perturbed about it, I just ease off the gas & as I regularly return 44+ mpg with a mix of AC on/off at intervals I'm happy to put up with it. But must admit, having read the reviews on the BG244 additive I might give that a go. But, remember, this situation was prevalent from the day the car came out of the showroom. So that could be a waste of cash!

I like the BG244 stuff, it works well. I spotted a deleted post from you and looked back at your old threads and found this one.

Let us know if the BG helps your problem.

Have you tried Higher Cetane (super/premium/ultimate/optimax) Diesel as well?

Like I said, it's been like this from new. It's still on record of my concern about the rattle, so if it does let go of a piston, at least they were warned. But to be honest I can live with it, the rattle I mean, piston going adrift? now that would be different. :(