Pikeys gone an got another mk2......

well i picked this up for £80 yesterday, my initial thought was to break it for parts as the Weber carb on it is worth £120 s/h, or fix it up and sell it...

well thats not happening now, i am actually amazed at how solid this car is, and how well the engine pulls. its on 116k miles and drives like a dream. TBH, id probably say it was in better condition on the whole than my old green one was when i got that!

P130201_28-12-09.jpg

P1302_28-12-09.jpg

P130301_28-12-09.jpg

P1303_28-12-09.jpg

So, generally its not as bad as the last owner made out, couple of bits of paintwork damage, few dents here an there, but only a few tiny tiny rust scabs on the rear plinth. It needs new front brakes but that should be enough to put it through an MOT. :)

plans with this one are simple so far... lowered, sort bodywork, homebrew matt respray (not black!) probably some cheap OEM wheels or maybe even steelies refurbed with a twist, then im gonna start on the engine.... have seen a fully rebuilt 2.0 bottom end with lightened and balanced crank an lightened flywheel for sale cheap. mate that to a GTI head and cam, k jet dizzy, tune the weber, gti downpipe and exhaust and i should be good for 130-140bhp and 150 lb/ft torque.

Mrs didnt really understand why when i said i was gonna sell the saab for this, but its cheaper to run, cheaper to insure, and i can strip/rebuild one of these with my eyes shut!

This is going to be a serious budget build, im setting £100 limit to get it MOT worthy, and a further £200 to tax it AND mod it, with a further £200 for engine.

quite a challenge then, £500 all in to turn a tired old mk2 into a modded 140bhp sleeper / family car and tax and Mot it!

comments etc welcome as usual!

i got offered £120 for the weber carb, so theres a change of direction with the engine....found a mk3 8v gti which im taking the lump,wiring,ecu and pumps out of, and gonna upgrade the fuel lines courtesy of my mates gti he's breaking, so next week sometime ill be chucking that lot in her.

then its the homebrew spray job and front brakes to sort, lower her (got the springs waiting) fit the new rear quarter window (again, already got it) and then put her in for MOT :) its all down to funds at the mo, but she should be rolling by end Jan at very latest. :)

i was expecting a #!#!#!#!ter to break for £80, but what i found totally shocked me!

as this is a budget build i figure ill keep the costs updated every time i buy something new, just so you can see how cheaply im doing everything!

so far:

Bought:

Car: £80
Engine: £176.50
Lowering springs: Free
Rear window: £10

£266.50

Sold:

Weber carb: £120
BBS RZ's £220

£330

£63.50 in profit overall.

Rear window fitted, engine and wiring removed from donor car.
dependant on weather ill be removing the gti fuel lines and downpipe from mates breaker this week, then old engine out fri, new one in sat. fuel lines and pumps on sun. :)
brakes next week. MOT next Sat! :)

Wow, impressive work for someone who was told to get a sensible family car and stop messing around with modding cars!:lol:;)

hehe its all about the wording.

i didnt say, babe can i fit a 2.0 GTi engine for more power, i said i was fitting it for better economy... hehe :)

besides, it has 5 doors, is cheaper to insure than the Saab, cheaper to run etc.

and im doing this entirely on profit from selling other cars and parts so she cant whinge too much!

im afraid the 8" of snow have put halt to me getting the lines today, far too icy to drive uphill to my mates! mwill get em off friday morn and remove engine same day if poss...

weather has been cruel of late so not much progress, but i did buy some shocks and springs today, which handily included front gti hubs, so i got decent discs an pads free. Win!

total cost so far:

balance from prev post: £63.50 in profit

spent: £50

new total: £13.50 in profit :)

weather has been cruel of late so not much progress, but i did buy some shocks and springs today, which handily included front gti hubs, so i got decent discs an pads free. Win!

total cost so far:

balance from prev post: £63.50 in profit

spent: £50

new total: £13.50 in profit :)

well played my cost is about £50 ish could have sold most never mind have some bit to sell , not done much too cold:(

pah, too cold my arse!

iv ripped out the old engine, and fitted the new one. over last 3 days iv had snow, rain and generally gotten very cold and wet, but hey, my new engine is in!

couple bits wiring and fuel pumps to sort tomorrow, then new suspension and discs and its mot ready :)

aiming for MOT tuesday :)

Have done some bits but have had my little girl all week so missed out ,but monday is free so can get sill's finished should get down to 17.6kg's for both

ok so the budget took a hammering of late.... spent a god few hundred on bits and bobs just because i figured it would save me money in long run.

the mk3 engine is in and running sweet, but coming back out tomorrow for new clutch, rocker gasket, baffled sump gasket and sump, new plugs, leads, cap, rotor arm etc

got to finish the paint, and fit the suspension. its going yank 30's rat rod inspired, NOT "fashion" rat look, which misses the point completely!

going for some tuck and poke, with a nice helping of rake (-80mm fronts, -40mm rears)

heres preview of paint scheme and idea of what the beetle zorst will look like!

P140501_23-01-10.jpg

is booked in for mot on friday, and rolling road with my local club sat, hoping for about 115bhp and 120 lb/ft.

looks like lady luck really wasnt on my side. took it for a cheeky blast down the (private) road and back to make sure it was all up together for MOT....

brakes did very close to nothing. And massive vac leak from somewhere (possibly servo as brakes were that bad) messing with acceleration in a big way.
Sprouted a heavy oil leak from the brand new baffled sump gasket/ sump.
fitted new pads and started bleeding, only to shear both bleed nipples off the back two. :(
cannot find vac leak :(
cant stop leak :(

didnt take it for MOT. and didnt make the rollers today. :( EPIC FAIL! :lol:

Good news is, whacked it on my mates flatbed and took it down to another mates garage. While im away next week, he's gonna fit new rear cylinders, sort sump, sort servo lines etc, and generally fault find for me, then remove front zorst box, weld in straight pipe, remove back box, weld in straight pipe and beetle zorst properly. Then whack it in for an MOT for me. £40 for everything, plus £45 for MOT :) :) :)

fingers crossed, by time i get back on friday, she'll be running nicely and have a fresh ticket. then its just the paint and rear suspension to swap over an jobs a good un til next year, when ill be doing LOTS of engine work (possible VR6 conversion) and a full respray as i cant believe quite how mint the car is, all arches and sills etc absolutely rust free!

thats average price, plenty places still doing em for £30 down here, unfortunately they are also more likely to fail you and try get some work outta you!

my mech's garage runs about 20 cars week through the test station so its £45 for them with free re test. :)

VR6 would be a standard OBD 2 lump. still undecided though as its a heavy old lump, even in a lardy mk3!

may well go with an ABF on ITB's.... mate has one in his mk1 on bike carbs (amongst lots other things lol) running 195+ bhp atw. fly was something ridiculous like 227bhp.

my my how things change!!!

its now mot'd and road legal, and the "scheme" changed when i found out the skinny steels couldnt put power down in 3rd :(

cue some freebie chav 5 spokes, and lots of paint pens later......

P193801_09-03-10.jpg

P193802_09-03-10.jpg

P1938_09-03-10.jpg

P193901_09-03-10.jpg

P193902_09-03-10.jpg

P193903_09-03-10.jpg

P193904_09-03-10.jpg

P1939_09-03-10.jpg

its getting a respray in 3weeks, so figured id have a laugh with it until then!
does the job, all the boy racers laugh and boot it off the line, then i smoke em and when they finally catch up, i get to laugh at them! :)

once the resprays done, i need to find some awesome wheels to finish the look, im thinking about audi tt comps, fully diamond cut and lacquered, should look awesome against the audi nimbus grey paint :)

also got given a spanking new K04 turbo, so plans are under foot to turbo the 2.0 8v and make it even quicker :)

had some fun in this going up to guildford to the No Rice meet. pushed my mates 150bhp 16v Seat Ibiza Cupra out the way, and didnt do too badly against a 1.8T ibiza cupra either up til 4th gear when my shorter ratio box starts to slacken off!

nobody on the drive up could believe it was a standard 2.0 8v, this thing has oodles of torque! cant wait til i start playing with the engine! might have a play with the timing advance later too, now its on 99ron i should be able to take it a few extra degrees without pinking!

This car is awesome! Especially for 80 quid, what a find...and the artwork just made my day :D
Good job man!!!

Um interesting paint job!:) Have you given your mum a ride in it yet?

Last edited:
haha cheers guys.

waynne, my mum wouldnt get in my car with me driving if it was a rolls royce, she knows id scare her #!#!#!#!less! :lol:

Car is now currently half way through being primered and prepped for respray, which was meant to be happening this weekend, in readiness for GTI spring festival at santa pod... BUT, found out i had family commitments on the 11th, so decided to stretch the deadline out. I now have a VW caddy van as a daily/work vehicle, so i can take my time with this.

I have bought myself a few more goodies....

Stage 3 Ported and polished head from mk2 1.8 gti (flows better than the mk3 head) need to fit bigger exh valves before fitting

Milltek 4-2-1 stainless manifold

Set of VW Estoril 15" alloys to mirror polish with some mental coloured inserts (WTS!)

and am currently shopping around for:

a 288 Deg cam and vernier pulley.
Gasflowed Throttle body
Inlet manifold to port and gasflow
lightened flywheel, crank and pulley

Running couple degrees advance with that spec should see 135/140 bhp and same in torques.
with a remap and run on 102 ron, with max ign advance, 150bhp/torque should be doable :)

As for respray, still not sure what colour to go for. want a solid, pastel colour, nothing metallic or pearl etc. Audi colours seem to be top of the chart at the mo, audi nimbus grey, audi aviation grey, or audi S blue.

time will tell!

Change of plan, AGAIN!!!!

Sold the head and manifolds etc, made £500 profit, which is paying for a MINT corrado (mates rates :) ) for me to run as a daily whilst the following happens....

been offered a 20vT so cheap i cant say no. easy enough conversion, and is mapped to 187bhp, which will be more than enough for the mk2.

Car is comin off the road again for a while, gonna strip her down to a bare shell, have her reprayed properly rather than a blow over. Then get the new engine in, upgrade the brakes all round to 288mm, fit the new wheels im having made, and bring her back out 100% finished to my full dream spec.

Yep.

Thats whole reason its changed, the 8v plan would have been abandoned at some point, with my mrs just having my second child, spending 3k on an 8v engine that would "only" push 150 bhp - lb/ft isnt really "sensible"! she would have made me get rid! and i can get the 20vT in and running 187bhp for less than £500!

Rado will be the daily/family car. Golf can be worked on as and when i have time, and will keep costs down by doing everything myself. even considering doing the paint myself. have everything i need to do it, just need to get some practice spraying with compressor.

Ok so found myself a garage and the deal is ready to be signed, so the mk2 will be off the road as of Wednesday....
The corrado i was originally buying fell through (so much for mates) but i found another one locally and hammered him down on the price to where i wanted to be, so here she is:

newrado2.jpg

more info in the Rado daily tweaks thread