Peugot 206 1.6 GLX flat spotting.

polarum

I have bought a 2003 Peugeot 206 GLX 110 and it is has acquired what I take to be a flat spot (around 2000 revs) because it will not accelerate or decelerate smoothly. The anti pollution warning eventually appears followed by the engine diagnostic warning light which stays on permanently. I have returned it twice to the Peugeot dealer and they tell me that the problem is a faulty speed control sensor which they have replaced, but the problem persists. I am having doubts about this garage and wonder if this sensor has anything to do with the problem. Would the s/c sensor make a difference? What else might be wrong?

Questions Questions Questions.

It sounds like the fuelling is wrong - could be the air flow/temp sensor or a dodgy Lambda probe or even an ECU timing related fault. Have you modified it at all? Is it serviced correctly is it better in the cold/hot weather? When did the problem start? If you run high octane fuel does the problem go away.

Pull out the plugs and see if they are all the same colour - should have a light grey soot on them.

What colour is the exhaust pipe - black and oily, black and sooty, dark grey soot or light grey soot?

I would try another garage for a second opinion.

Thank for the comments and suggestions, Wayne. I bought the car from a local official Peugeot dealer in May and the problems started within three days of my collecting it. It had 20k on the clock and they claimed to have just serviced it. I returned it twice in two weeks and waited a total of 10 days for the problems to be put right but all they did was upgrade the software and change a speed sensor. The stalling, hunting, flat-spotting, and warning lights remained so I rejected the car and asked for my money back under the Sale of Good Act. The garage refused stating 'we never give refunds' but I have a legal protection policy for coping with things like dodgy dealers and am awaiting a visit from an independent motor assessor. Your comments have given me some idea as to what might be wrong - it is clear that the garage involved hasn't a clue. As the service department manager said "We only work on what the computer tells us is wrong."

Goog luck Polarum - you are certainly entitled to a refund IMHO the goods are not of merchantable quality. Hope this doesnt put you off of Peugots - just the dealer! Keep us posted.

Hmm, idle problems with TU engines seem to be related to:

1. Idle actuator valve - also known as idle control valve, idle stepper motor; among other names.

2. Map sensor

3. Coolant Temperature Sensor

These would be the best places to start, my Saxo has similar problems, but I tent to spend most of my time and money modding it, rather than fixing it!

It could also be a problem with the coilpack, these can be very unreliable, even from new.

Unsure about the 'anti-pollution warning' light though!

Peugeot 206 GLX 110

Many thanks for the additional comments and suggestions. In connection with my claim, I have had a visit from an independent motor assesor who observed the anti-pollution fault warning and the continual engine diagnostic warning light. He ran the car and described the test drive as being 'very lumpy', but thought that some of the hesitation/flat spotting could be due to the running of the air conditioning unit. I know that these can affect the mpg and power-steering but can they contribute to stalling and hesitation too?

If its pulling that much power there is something wrong with it. All cars lose some power with aircon on but that shouldn't stall the engine or make it too lumpy to drive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back