Peugeot 607 2.2 HDI remap

Jacket

Car
Peugeot 607 2.2 HDI
Hello folks,
I'm new here, so there's my first batch of questions :)

I own a 2005 Peugeot 607 2.2 HDI (DW12TED4) 6 gear manual and i'm very pleased with the car, but it seems that it needs just a little push to become even greater. I've been told that this engine responds very well to remapping, and i'm eager to try this, but my mechanic says that first i need to remove the DPF, because it will get clogged very fast. Is this true? I want only a remap of the ECU, no tuning boxes etc...
Another question is for the fuel economy. No matter how easy i go on the gas pedal, in the city i can't go below 11L/100KM (or above 25.68 MPG). Mostly it's 12L/100KM (23.54 MPG). The display show about 15km/h average speed, and the speed is so low, because i'm driving in a very congested city. Is this fuel consumption normal?
On the motorway it's usualy 7L/100KM (40.35 MPG) with speeds of up to 140km/h (87 miles per hour).
Can i expect the consumption to drop with the remap or it will increase?

Last edited:
t will be fine and your insistence upon a remap is good. Tuning boxes will wreck the DPF. I had a 406 2.2 HDi (DW12TED4 engine) with the DPF. It was remapped in 2006 with 50,000 miles (about 80,000 km) on it. The DPF was left in place.

At 139,000 miles 3 years later it was still functioning perfectly. The DPFs in these cars employ active regeneration. The reason I no longer have the car is because I was involved in a collision in June 2009 which damaged the car beyond economic repair.

Fuel consumption did improve slightly after the remap but not enough to justify it on that basis alone. HOwever, performance went through the ceiling :)

This sounds great. The car is just passing 100k miles now, and the Aolys hasn't been refilled ever. Curious thing is the last 5k miles are only urban driving and there's no indication from the FAP filter. I don't know when it's regenerating, but really i see no problems with it, so i don't want to remove it.
I suppose my technician has full ECU remap files from a car without DPF, and that's the reason he want's to cut it off.

This sounds great. The car is just passing 100k miles now, and the Aolys hasn't been refilled ever. Curious thing is the last 5k miles are only urban driving and there's no indication from the FAP filter. I don't know when it's regenerating, but really i see no problems with it, so i don't want to remove it.
I suppose my technician has full ECU remap files from a car without DPF, and that's the reason he want's to cut it off.

The Eolys was refilled in mine at about 60,000 miles and never again since. If anything the remapped car creates higher exhaust temperatures which actually reduces the accumulation of soot in the DPF,

I suggest that you use a map which accommodates the DPF - your mechanic's one will probably cause problems.

Even removing the DPF is a minefield because the ECU will still look for it. Celtic Tuning did my car, incidentally.

Another point with these cars is that you MUST use a fully synthetic low SAPS (low sulfated ash) oil. Other oils will poison the DPF.

AMSOIL DEO 5w/40 is my preferred choice.

ACEA spec C on the oil bottle is the thing to look for if you want an oil that's low sulfated ash.

Nice engines, get it done mate :)

Hey, i've done it yesterday! The car is now 170HP and 380Nm!
I've only driven about 10km yesterday, and the power seems to be increasing slightly every kilometer. The guys that performed the remap said that i'll get the full power after about 20km, because the ECU have to relearn the engine parameters and my driving style.
For now the big lag at low rpm is still there, but when the rpm's go beyond 2200, there is a notable difference. I think the lag will stay. I've driven the 2.2 biturbo, and it's a different story, it makes petrol engines look laggy. So without a second turbo i think i'll have to live with the lag.

The throttle response seems to be almost the same for now, apart from a small "boom" when releasing the clutch and pressing the gas pedal more rapidly.
The good thing is the DPF is still there, so they haven't remap the whole car, they made a custom image for my particular car, and i have a backup of my original files with an option of rollback and refund if i'm not happy (which i doubt it) :)
So i'll post if there are any changes in the performance after the brake-in period.

Last edited:
Turbo lag? Seems odd to me as the 2.2 HDI has a tiny turbo for the engine size,
(Garrett GT15) It should almost be lagless.

But glad to hear that you're liking the extra performance on offer chap, just make sure you service your car properly and it won't let you down.

I thought it was a T3 on the DW12 engines. The T15 is tiny. Perhaps that's why they're a bit limited on top end power even with a remap because the engine itself will probably stand 400lbft without harm.

Hey it's been almost 3 months since the remap, and after about 2000 miles i can say that it's a different car now!
But i have a question that is somewhat out of the topic... It's about the suspension. The ride is very stiff, and that's OK on good roads, but here in Bulgaria, there aren't many... most roads are crying for repair, and i'm very disappointed with the stiffness of the suspension. It's very harsh on sharp bumps, manhole covers, etc. and at high speeds (90mph or more) the rear becomes unstable when going through these... Is there someone here with 607, that has the same problem?
The whole suspension is inspected, and it's in perfect condition according to the technicians.
The car is 2005 facelift, without active suspension, and 17" tires.

Hey it's been almost 3 months since the remap, and after about 2000 miles i can say that it's a different car now!
But i have a question that is somewhat out of the topic... It's about the suspension. The ride is very stiff, and that's OK on good roads, but here in Bulgaria, there aren't many... most roads are crying for repair, and i'm very disappointed with the stiffness of the suspension. It's very harsh on sharp bumps, manhole covers, etc. and at high speeds (90mph or more) the rear becomes unstable when going through these... Is there someone here with 607, that has the same problem?
The whole suspension is inspected, and it's in perfect condition according to the technicians.
The car is 2005 facelift, without active suspension, and 17" tires.

The 17" rims do offer stiff ride. Perhaps look for a tyre with gentler sidewalls or go down to 16" rims and tyres.

Trouble is that they fitted bigger brakes on the facelifted 607's, so 16" aren't an option...

Does your car have run flat tyres? These can have a harsh effect on ride comfort as the sidewalls are very stiff.

Jarrus is suggesting going down to a 16" rim and fitting higher profile tyres to create the correct rolling radius. As you say, this won't work because the 17" rims are needed to accomodate the brake discs.

Hey, i've done it yesterday! The car is now 170HP and 380Nm!
I've only driven about 10km yesterday, and the power seems to be increasing slightly every kilometer. The guys that performed the remap said that i'll get the full power after about 20km, because the ECU have to relearn the engine parameters and my driving style.
For now the big lag at low rpm is still there, but when the rpm's go beyond 2200, there is a notable difference. I think the lag will stay. I've driven the 2.2 biturbo, and it's a different story, it makes petrol engines look laggy. So without a second turbo i think i'll have to live with the lag.

The throttle response seems to be almost the same for now, apart from a small "boom" when releasing the clutch and pressing the gas pedal more rapidly.
The good thing is the DPF is still there, so they haven't remap the whole car, they made a custom image for my particular car, and i have a backup of my original files with an option of rollback and refund if i'm not happy (which i doubt it) :)
So i'll post if there are any changes in the performance after the brake-in period.

Hi Jacket
I also own a 607 2.2 HDI, only it's a 2004 model. I would really love to get it remapped, but although I have the equipment to remap it (upload the files to the ECU), I can't afford to get my original map tuned up.
That's why I thought I'd ask if you would consider sharing your tuned map?
Cheers

Hi Jacket
I also own a 607 2.2 HDI, only it's a 2004 model. I would really love to get it remapped, but although I have the equipment to remap it (upload the files to the ECU), I can't afford to get my original map tuned up.
That's why I thought I'd ask if you would consider sharing your tuned map?
Cheers

Don't do this. Generic remapping can cause problems with the diesel particle filter.

Don't do this. Generic remapping can cause problems with the diesel particle filter.

What would you recommend then, when on a tight budget, and please don't say do nothing :)

I would prefer to have someone modify my own original map, but those I've found it just to damn expensive for my wallet atm and I don't want someone who thinks he knows how - should be someone with genuine experience in tuning :(

That why I thought Jackets map might be worth trying out...

Last edited:
Hi Dyvel. I don't have the files. The tuners didn't offer them to me. I think they won't be happy with that. :)
As HDi fun pointed out, you may have troubles with pre-made maps... For example mine had the option to use the DPF (i didn't remove it), and if yours is removed, then you will have alerts. Also there are ECU's from different vendors, and if yours is different, i don't know what the result will be. In short, there's a good chance of something going wrong...

Anyway, about a week ago i've switched back to the stock files. I'm not entirely happy with the remap. Although the car had much more power between 2000-4000 RPM , the overall feeling was not comfortable. There's a good reason some cars have button for sport mode :) But to be locked permanently in sports mode turned out to be the wrong choice for me. The drawbacks are:
  • Nervous throttle, you have to be VERRY careful with the throttle, especially while downshifting, otherwise you end up with sharp knocks.
  • Noisier engine, It sounds like it's giving everything it has, when you step on it (which maybe is truth). Even the turbine can be heard while driving on open roads with the windows closed, something that never happened before.
For me these two make the car unpleasant to drive in the long term. After all this is not a sports car. It's good to have the extra punch of the remap, but it comes with the cost of sacrificing comfort, and after about 10000mi on the car i know that at the end of the day i prefer comfort over power.

Last edited: