Peugeot 309 1.9 d

mlkmlkml

Car
peugeot 309 1.9D
Hello, I am an owner of a Peugeot 309 1.9 D and was wondering how can I get more performance out of it!

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

Removing the exhaust won't do much on a diesel, they don't need very much flow and most stock exhausts are more than adequate. Remaps and turbo upgrades are the way forward on these.

Well 309 is from 1986 no computer at all. But I thought something mechanical maybe some tips about doing something with engine, head block, if somebody did that.

Ah ok, sorry my bad. Probably no turbo either. Increasing fuel pressure will raise power but make it quite smoky.

I do believe that anything can be tuned, but in this case I don't think you'll get very much more power for your the money it will cost you. I'm sorry but I have to be honest with you, I myself spent far too much money tuning a car that wasn't worth it and have regretted it ever since.

If it were me, I'd focus on handling and braking and make it more fun to drive, plus doing some weight reduction will help.

Hi, here again. So if I want just small improvement in power can I increase fuel pressure. I am only for small improvements not rocket-race track car. And what about swapping gear box. Is this scenario possible: add just small amount of power, then swap gear box with higher ratios. And how will that affect fuel consumption, and engine itself...

You could swap a plain stock HDi engine in it and be done. Its fairly easy if you just transplant it with the wiring from a donor car from a wrecking yard. More power, better fuel, longer life, small cost as there are an abundance of them.

Thanks for the tip, i was away for a while yet again. I thought something like that before, but swap is probably not legal in my country still, or it would probably take a lot of time and a lot of money to legalize that. So i am still messing with stock engine and any tip on any level, if anybody did something and had some results with that is welcome!

Last edited:
Just remember, swaps are always legal when done legally lol

Also you can look at it this way, some countries used to or still do incentivize swaps in a way because newer engines pollute less with all the tech involved so as long as you dont go full locomotive action rolling coal, you should be fine.

Yes :).Not all countries encourage less polluting engines. In my country hybrids are poorly subvented and gas fueled cars are more expensive to own than petrol or diesel.. Swapping engine legalization is probably complicated as I stated. Still stuck with my factory engine...

Generally speaking, its just shy over 60hp if im correct, if its an NA engine, the most you can do is get close to 100hp with increasing the air/fuel combo. That may be from bigger injectors, porting the intake/exhaust, bigger valves etc but that is a bit too much money right there if done professionally by a machine shop, you can do it yourself but one wrong move and you'll be looking for a new head lol

It might be a dumb suggestion on my part but you can experiment with adding a small turbo with veeeery little boost, but be vary of the fact that diesel engines work under very high pressure and adding more might turn it into a big grenade but if done moderately it should be safe. It's just that i dont trust older diesel engines made before the 90s, mainly due to runaway diesel scenarios, you can look it up on youtube.

Hello and welcome, all the best for the new year, and I wonder what it holds for each of us.

Hopefully, this Virus thing will be gone and we can get on with our lives.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back