Peugeot 307 Auto Dimming rear view Mirror

Big Ord

Wrench Pro
Car
Honda Civic CDTi
Hi Guys,

I've had this problem with the afore mentioned part for a while and I dont know wots up with it. It used to work fine but now when I press the button to dim the mirror the light comes on but nothing happens! :confused:

If anyone has any ideas or has heard of this problem any info would help.

Cheers

The idea is that you leave it switched on permanently and let the light sensors control the dimming!! The OFF position is only an over-ride but the mirror should clear automatically when you select reverse gear.

Try cleaning the apertures front and rear of the mirror housing. They work on thef/r differential of light levels.

Abit of an update;

I've been running it with the light constantly on since my last post and give the front and rear appertures a good clean but its still the same.

I dont know a great deal about how they work so i'm at a loss as to what can be wrong.

Abit of an update;

I've been running it with the light constantly on since my last post and give the front and rear appertures a good clean but its still the same.

I dont know a great deal about how they work so i'm at a loss as to what can be wrong.

It's unusual for the Peugeot ones to fail - they use solid substrate polymers for the electrochromic layer. Some VAG ones use liquid (LCD) electrochromic layers and these can leak. Apparently it's quite corrosive stuff.

Check that your reverse light isn't stuck on - the mirror(s) automatically clear when R is selected, regardless of lighting conditions or mirror switch position. I'm assuming the ECU takes its cue from the reverse light switch.

If you plant your finger over the front sensor (ie. the one to the front of the car, the BACK of the mirror) does it darken?

They should go almost black with a slight purple reflex in a few seconds.

Last edited:
Checked my reverse light and its fine.

I've tried covering the rear (Front) sensor with my finger before still but no joy.

I would expect if there is a problem with the sensors or maybes if the electrochromic layer isn't reacting then its just going to need replacing.