Peugeot 207 1.6hdi remapped advise

sp207

Car
207 1.6 HDI 110
Hi, wondering if you guys can give me some advise please. I just had my car remapped last week and had the car dyno'd today.

The car before was running at 108.8bhp with 177lb ft. Now (or was) it was running 151bhp with 260 lb ft. But the boost has been tuned down and so I am currently running 138.5bhp with 209.9lb ft.

This is because I followed advise from some people saying that some of the components will be put under too much strain and so suggested anything over 140bhp is too much. Also I'd like to add the guy who did my remap suggested that it ran 9 C higher at 151bhp which may make the car go into limp mode in the warmer days.

So after this and getting my boost tuned down, some people now say that running 151bhp with 260 lb ft is fine and the components on my car should be able to run it albeit the obvious wear and tear on the turbo and gearbox, so they suggested that I go back and get the boost turned back up.

I am tempted to go back and get my boost turned back up if there is no problems, but as I am new to all this I just wanted some personal advise on this before I do.

thanks in advanced

I don't think you'll have a problem so long as you're sensible. Don't work it hard when the engine's cold and, this is crucial - let it cool at idle 2-3 minutes before you switch off the engine.

The map in my car is tweaked at the low end in gears 1 and 2 to reduce the torque loading on the gearbox.

I usually look to Celtic Tuning for good reference figures - they stop at 140bhp and 229lbft with that particular engine so perhaps that's a good guide.

so you reckon 151bhp with 260lb ft torque will be fine? with the extra 9c temp on the intercooler? i dont really floor it anyway, but ocassionally maybe..

noticed you have one very fast 406!!

What I'd be really interested in is the oil temperature under heavy load. This is a better indicator of thermal stress than coolant temperature.

Also, what is the actual coolant temperature that it's recording whilst on the dyno?

Generally you'll get better airflow in the road than you will on a dyno, even with the fans pointed at the engine.

Yes, the 406 does go quite well. It's standard to look at as well which adds to the mystery.

all i got on the print out is the external temp reading 8.1 C.

The external air temperature will always affect the dyno readings. THe colder it is, the more torque and power you'll get. Cold air is denser than hotter air.

Do you have an oil temperature gauge in the instrument cluster? If not then it might well be worth fitting an aftermarket one. Oil temperature gives you an idea as to how much duress the engine is under.

My engine oil runs close to 120 degrees C at times, hence my reasons for using fully synthetic oil. I'm also confined to synthetics because of the DPF. You should do so as well in your 207 as it WILL be fitted with a particle filter and you MUST use a low-sulfated-ash oil formulation.

Some dyno operators use an oil temperature probe which the fit into the dipstick aperture. It's the same thing that MoT testers use when doing emissions tests.

right now running at 138bhp and 209lbft my oil temp is around 90C, dont remember what it was at 151bhp but did notice the oil temp did get higher faster but i think stayed pretty much the same as it is now maybe a bit higher..

yeah, should of kept it at 151bhp then, might give the place i got it done a call in the week..

does your car have a limp mode? hows it like in the hotter days in the uk?

I'm sure they'll happily accomodate your wishes.

After all, if you're getting to the speed you require quicker then the engines under heavy load for less time!!! This is probably why a diesel remap nearly always results in better fuel economy.

im beginning to reckon i wont have a problem, i dont really floor it so to be honest, so my engine wont really hit high temps

and on the economy side im averaging 50mpg in urban driving, im sure if i drove eco i can easily push it up a lot.. i hit 70mpg recently driving on the motorway too which i reckon is great taking into account the car i have compared to smaller eco friendly cars on the market..

im beginning to reckon i wont have a problem, i dont really floor it so to be honest, so my engine wont really hit high temps

and on the economy side im averaging 50mpg in urban driving, im sure if i drove eco i can easily push it up a lot.. i hit 70mpg recently driving on the motorway too which i reckon is great taking into account the car i have compared to smaller eco friendly cars on the market..

If you can manage 70mpg (not in instantaneous mode, which is meaningless) but actually get a figure such as that over a reasonable journey then you're clearly not abusing the performance your car can offer. The Peugeot BSI is pretty accurate with average consumption in my experience. Tank fills match it to within .5 to 1.0 mpg

As such, and with oil temperatures around ninety celcius then you can quite happily take the boost (and corresponding fuel delivery) back to the point they were previously.

My car is on 126 thousand miles and I still have no problems with reliability.

As I've said previously, just let it cool down for 2-3 minutes, at idle speed, after swift and purposeful driving before pulling the key.

In all probability you'll find yourself with a cleaner and better performing engine as a result of the higher tuned map.

If you choose to be a bit silly - let's say that you fit a tow bracket and try to tow a 1.5 ton trailer UP Porlock Hill (Somerset/Devon border) at 80mph then, yes, you might find the ECU winding in the power and torque delivery. Maybe. It's not an issue.

My advice is get the fuel/boost map put back the way you want it to be; go drive and enjoy the drive. You're being pretty sensible about all of this so why not reap the rewards that common sense can offer.

Rgds,

Paul Anderson.

at times i do have a heavy foot but 80% of the time i drive normal, this is technically my first car so i dont really want to break it from abusive driving which can be avoided..

thanks for your help hdi, im going to give the car a service before as i dont really want to wait next year for a service..