Peugeot 106 Dturbo

46rickvick

Car
106 1.9 dturbo
Hi there, I have just bought a 106 with a Dturbo engine in.
I have read many threads and it seems that Jarrus is the man I need to speak to! I've seen the FAsport car on YouTube and would like help to get my 106 reliably fast!
I'm ok with the spanners but I would much rather let someone with plenty if experience tune it for me or show me exactly what's been twiddled !! Jarrus if you're reading this where are you based!!??

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Jarrus certainly knows his stuff alright, if your lucky then he will pick up this thread and no doubt assist you where he can. Alternatively, Davalav has some experience of these I think, so he may well be able to help you if Jarrus is not available.

Good luck buddy.

Hi there and thanks for the welcome!
I've managed to get almost all the info I need from this forum which is good! I am going to do the work myself but its always nice to have someone that has done it many times on hand for help and information! I've been driving a 1.5d for the last year so it's a massive improvement for now
So it is gonna be an ongoing project and hopefully much easier since I stumbled upon this forum!!

Good morning,

Any idea what lump is in it? DHY, DHX or D8A? Earlier 306's had the D8A with the DHY engines having a weaker bottom end.

I guess you currently are running a lucas set up? If you have a DHY you'll more the likely have a KKK K14 or a K03. These being rather good turbo's. Easily get about 22psi once you fiddle with the fuel pump.

First things first, have you got a boost gauge?

Of so, read on.

On a lucas pump you have a small, black bung on the pump. Using a flathead and a hammer, tap the bung clockwise (I think!) until the bung pops out. Remember to put a small plastic tub under the bung and a plastic bag over the alternator as you don't want diesel inthere.

Using a small mirror there is a small cam which when you move the car the cam turns. What you need to do is put it in 5th gear and have a mate rock the car back and forth until an allen key hole is viewable. I think the allen key is 8mm, put this in and using a spanner for leverage, turn the key clockwise. All you need to do is about 90degrees. put the bung back in and Take it out for a drive, if you see more PSI on the boost gauge, at around 17-18 psi then success! and you can keep fiddling up to about 22psi.

Hi there, I was told when buying the car that it was a dturbo s engine out of a 1994/5 car. It's got a bosch pump on it and it has a cone filter, it has a small scoop in the bonnet to feed the intercooler but I will change this to a front mount after Christmas. I don't have a boost gauge as yet either, can you tell me where the engine number is and I'll have a look tonight when I get home! First things first though I'm ordering a full set of uprated engine mounts and a timing belt kit for next weekend, the plan is to make sure everything is good before I start to turn it up!! Any jobs that are easier with the engine out can be done at the same time, thanks for the advice and I am all ears!! As soon as I can tell you what engine code it is you can advise me what's best for it! I have downloaded the autosport feature that is in one of the threads and that does give a good insight into what to do but you can never have too much information on these things! Have you seen the FAsport 106 on YouTube? That is pretty much what I am aiming for in the long run, sounds awesome, revs to 6500 and makes around 200 horses apparently!

Sounds a D8A which came with a GT15 turbo I think. Get the GT15 off and buy a TD04 13T from Ebay, and most pug forums sell adapters plates for them for about £20.

Ideally a T2 manifold will be better as they are more commely made for. Mods that are easier when the engine is out, is deffo the turbo change. Might want to do a head gasket change too with a shim to lower compression so you can run higher boost levels. If your not fussed, you can safely get 160-170bhp from a good, strong XUD.

Don't want your XUD revving to 6500k rpm mate... It will rev its self to a point where it WILL fall apart! 6k is a limit to be honest without spending silly amounts on forged rods, balanced and lightened crank, forged pistons etc etc.

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks again for the advice. When you say a td 04 13t, is that turbo standard fitment to other peugeot models?
I will probably leave the turbo alone for the time being, I will check for play when I drop the engine this time but if it looks ok I'll get my use out of it before I change it !! For now I'd just like to turn the pump up a bit without killing it and stick some miles on it! The plan is to slowly gather parts over the next few months, it's my everyday workhorse so I need it off the road for the minimum amount of time!! Once I've got all the bits that will let me turn everything up to 9 I'll attack it one weekend! I like the idea of a budget build so if I can pinch slightly better peugeot citreon parts that give good gains then any info would be much appreciated! I've heard xantia inlets are supposedly better?? I would also like a dump valve on it but one that actually gives gains rather than just making loads of noise! Have you viewed the FAsport one on you tube? It sounds really good!

Hi there, thanks again for the advice. When you say a td 04 13t, is that turbo standard fitment to other peugeot models?
I will probably leave the turbo alone for the time being, I will check for play when I drop the engine this time but if it looks ok I'll get my use out of it before I change it !! For now I'd just like to turn the pump up a bit without killing it and stick some miles on it! The plan is to slowly gather parts over the next few months, it's my everyday workhorse so I need it off the road for the minimum amount of time!! Once I've got all the bits that will let me turn everything up to 9 I'll attack it one weekend! I like the idea of a budget build so if I can pinch slightly better peugeot citreon parts that give good gains then any info would be much appreciated! I've heard xantia inlets are supposedly better?? I would also like a dump valve on it but one that actually gives gains rather than just making loads of noise! Have you viewed the FAsport one on you tube? It sounds really good!

Should have clarified that buddy, its off a Subaru Impreza! :)

Like I said, you can buy most parts from ebay, such as a ground LDA pin which pumps more fuel in when on boost after you fiddle with the max fuel screw.

I don't know too much about Bosch pumps, Jarrus is the man for that! :)

Dump valves don't really gain ANY power on dervs. Just makes a noise sound... As diesels don't have a throttle they don't need to 'dump' the air.

I've been looking on eBay and I've found some and they all seem to be if volvos, they're actually cheaper than I was expecting! I will keep you posted on my progress as it moves on and thanks again for your time!! Cheers!!!

Sounds a D8A which came with a GT15 turbo I think. Get the GT15 off and buy a TD04 13T from Ebay, and most pug forums sell adapters plates for them for about £20.

D8a's were early engines fella, they usually had a Garrett t2, and some times a kkk k14, late model DHY's came with the GT15 and the rare Kkk K03

D8a's were early engines fella, they usually had a Garrett t2, and some times a kkk k14, late model DHY's came with the GT15 and the rare Kkk K03

Ahh, cheers for the correction mate. Mine was a '99 DHY and that had a K03... :)
Wish I had my 306 dyno'd.

Last edited:
No probs mate, k14 is the most common turbo, k03 is the rarist,

Easy engines to tune the XUDs you just have to have the right supporting mods to keep it together, im still convinced that they will got more than 200 hp on a stock block (no forged rods)
6k+rpms are safe as long as you get the supporting mods on there, and the right turbo.... my 2.1(xud11) had a lick around to 6k a few times (accidently most of the time) and that has a longer stroke than the 1.9 (xud9) so piston speed is higher so 6k should be ok on a well maintain engine...

No probs mate, k14 is the most common turbo, k03 is the rarist,

Easy engines to tune the XUDs you just have to have the right supporting mods to keep it together, im still convinced that they will got more than 200 hp on a stock block (no forged rods)
6k+rpms are safe as long as you get the supporting mods on there, and the right turbo.... my 2.1(xud11) had a lick around to 6k a few times (accidently most of the time) and that has a longer stroke than the 1.9 (xud9) so piston speed is higher so 6k should be ok on a well maintain engine...

I knew 6k was alright, but there are alot of people who get them to rev to 6.5k. Which, as I figured would literally destroy an engine.

JP managed 210bhp with a Hybrid GT25 turbo and a lot of head work and mods to the crank. So I think 200bhp is attaintable. But reliablity? Thats the question... Couple guys I know, they get to around 190bhp before the engine decides it doesn't like con rods! Thats running D8A, DHY and DHX engines.
I think 200bhp maybe more reliable in a DW10?

Dw10 uses the same bottom end as the xud9, only the pistons are different,

I still think its down to the oil temperature, oil gets too hot then get too thin then the baring cave in making the engine un balanced and chucking the rod out of the block....
An oil cooler and/or thicker ester base stock synthetic oil should do the trick....i used a 5w40 ester synthetic in the 1.9 and it blew a rod (5w40 is a pug recommended weight) but in the 2.1 i used a 10w50 weight of the same oil and it never missed a beat..... and that engine was even licked around to 6k a few times and had a lick of nitrous a few times.... plus head work aint needed on either engine, to get more top end it would benefit from a cam upgrade(piper cams are rubbish talk to.newmans instead for these engines) and a better inlet manifold

Hi there guys, thanks again for your info, since I was last on all I've done is wind the fuel in one turn and its made a hell of a difference!! It doesn't smoke too bad and it's as quick as my friends 06 Volvo v50 2.0d which is no slouch!!
It feels like around 120/130 bhp to me!! But it comes on boost very strong, I am going to keep collecting parts over the next few months and modify it in stages so I can feel the difference every time! I'm going to get a xantia inlet, a different turbo, and a front mount intercooler as PART 1!
Any info on which ones to use bearing in mind it's in a 106 engine bay would be much appreciated!! It sounds like you guys have tried and tested most things and done the development needed!! I do need to keep it relatively unstressed as I do commute in it everyday, mpg and reliability are as important as grin factor!!! Thanks again guys!!

You'll have to send me an email address and I'll send you some, I haven't built the car buy the way,an eBay special!!!
I bought it from Peterborough a couple of weeks ago. It was an absolute bargain! It's a 1992 s1 but with all the s2 body panels with the half leather seats, power steering, leccy windows. Had a pretty good system fitted, I paid £500 for it and sold my rallye rep diesel for £600!! Major upgrade with £100 change!!

How many posts have you done on here fella? (I cant see cause im using a phone) i cant sens you a message so i assume youve done less than 10 posts....

This is the only thread I've done, I'm still unfamiliar with the rules and regs! Is there a way I can upload pics on here? I am a bit of a techno phobe to be honest!!

My email address is:

*Removed your email address to protect you from the rascals*

T9 man
Super Moderator

Send me an email and I'll send you some that way!!

Last edited by a moderator:
FAO: 46rickvick

Send your email out via the personal message route buddy. As friendly as this website is, we have several despicable viewers who would seek to do you harm and think that it is funny! Best to be safe :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back