peug 206 GTI airbag FAULT!!! PLZ PLZ HELP

sambelsher

Wrench Pro
Car
PUG 206 GTI
please can someone tell me what i need to do to the 3 cables under the front seats in my pug 206 GTI because i have fitted racing seats with harnesses and need to stop the air bag warning light on the dash and the airbag fault coming up on the digital read out for my MOT there must be someone else out there who has fitted aftermarket seats in a 206 GTI and sorted out this problem

Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars My Friend! :)

Can't help you with this particular problem, but I am sure someone will be along in a short while who might be able to help you! ;)

can someone please tell me what resistor i need to use and what ones of the 3 cables i need to join together
to get rid of this fault

Can you not just turn them off?
Under the passenger side around the glovebox somewhere there should be a key hole that your ignition key fits which disables the air bags. IIRC.

it only disables the passanger dash airbag i need to deactivat the seat airbags someone must know what to do there is plenty of modified pug 206 GTI s out there that have aftermarket seats in them

it only disables the passanger dash airbag i need to deactivat the seat airbags someone must know what to do there is plenty of modified pug 206 GTI s out there that have aftermarket seats in them

If somebody knows what the fix is then they will share it with you! Sometimes a problem will happen to a members car that is simply unknown!!! So people make enquires on the members behalf to find a solution. Be patient, I am sure this is being looked into for you! ;)

Just had a look and apparently the airbag light staying on is a common fault on the 206. There is a connection under the drivers seat where the Seat Belt Pretensioner is linked in. This connection needs re-doing.
You might get away with cleaning and reconnecting it. Or cut the cables out of the connector and solder them direct to each other i.e. red to red - green to green etc. Try this!

Try this as well, cut and pasted from google: under neath the front seats you will find a plug that goes to the seat belt tensioners. unplug it and then plug it in again do this a few times until the light goes out,a common fault on these cars as well as the Citroen's ..its to do with a bad earth,i do this to mine when it occurs every few weeks our so ;)

Last edited:
I understand that, but the problem would appear to be with the connection or joint under the seat. It is a known and well documented issue and even if you had not changed the seats the problem would arise in the fullness of time!
You have nothing to lose except a warning light by looking at it anyway!

Big T the connections are irrelevant if the airbag has been removed.
There wouldn't be a live circuit to the plug under the seat as the circuit has been broken by removing the airbag.
Could you not have the ecu reprogrammed to remove the light.
Or just take the bulb out.

Thanks for the heads up TN, after reading the comments on that Pug website it would appear that the connector was a manufacturing fault that was well known to both Peugeot and Citroen owners. Never thought about just removing the indicator bulb! ;)

i have romoved the bulb but the message still comes up on the digital read out in the middle of the dash that displays the date time and outside tempriture so what do i do to stop it coming up on that

Well I have been looking around for you on Google and I see that you have already asked this question on a Peugeot forum without any success.

The best reply so far that I can find is this:

Quote: The airbag system does NOT have sensors which check the system constantly.
The only sensors are the impact sensors which consist of a ball bearing in a tube of high viscosity jelly, under an impact of >80 g the ball is forced through the jelly to complete the circuit and set off the airbags.
The system is controlled by an ecu, and if the system detects any open or short circuits in the wiring it will memorise a fault and illuminate the light to let you know you need to take it to a dealer.

The most likely causes are the connections under the 2 front seats for the seatbelt pretensioner and for the side airbags if they are fitted, simply a case of cutting the connector out and joining the wires with a heatshrink solder type sleeve.

The other possibilites are a faulty comm 2000 unit, this would cause a 'drivers level 1 igniter open circuit or short circuit to earth' fault, though it is less common but not unheard of for these units to develop airbag problems.
The actual airbags never usually cause faults.

There could also be a faulty ecu, or a power supply problem to the ecu.
If your battery has recently been flat then it can cause 'temporary supply voltage' and 'passengers airbag deactivation not defined' faults too.

Try a cheap fault code reader with fault reset to see if it will remove the light.

Failing this then it will have to go into a main dealer or good Peugeot independent.

thannk you so much T9 you have given me the most information on what to do if i was to join the 3 cables together would i have to put resistors between them and what ones of the 3 cables would i join together
would i be able to turn the fault off on a diagnostick machine
once again thanks T9

Well if I interpret the information correctly, then if for example your cables going across the joint/connector was red, white & blue - then you would cut out the connector and join the red cable back to the red cable, the white cable back to the white cable etc. This joint would need to be either soldered and then wrapped in tape (I personally would use heatshrink tubing) or connect them using through crimps!
This may well be the problem or you may still have to try a fault code reader with a fault code reset button (i.e. it will extinguish the fault that was bringing on the light) I have one which I bought from Argos which I use from time to time and it works very well:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7402742/Trail/searchtext>FAULT.htm

Note: This device will only work on petrol cars from 2001 and diesels from 2004 onwards.

It costs £20 more now than when I bought mine a few years ago but it represents good value for money to me. There is a more expensive version available but I think you will be fine with this one! If this all fails then you may have to bite the bullet and visit the main dealer, but as suggested a good independent Peugeot garage might be best to make your pound notes go further.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:
hi T9 i have just had a look at what cables i have got under the seats there is 2 pink cables and 1 green and yellow cable that looks like a earth cable under each seat
under the drivers seat there is also another plug with 2 cables going to it but i can't see what colour they are because the have shrink wrap round them would i just join the 2 pink cables together and conect the green and yellow cable to a earth point

Cannot find any more details to clarify but this much I do know - do NOT assume that the green & yellow cable denotes an earth connection as in domestic/industrial wiring! This assumption I fear will end in tears.
Most cables in a car enviroment will have a tracer colour attached of some description, this is purely down to creating ease of cable recognition due to the sheer multitude of cables used in a modern day car loom - more electrical toys = more colour variations. I shall keep looking for you and see if anything else comes up.

Well if I interpret the information correctly, then if for example your cables going across the joint/connector was red, white & blue - then you would cut out the connector and join the red cable back to the red cable, the white cable back to the white cable etc. This joint would need to be either soldered and then wrapped in tape (I personally would use heatshrink tubing) or connect them using through crimps!
This may well be the problem or you may still have to try a fault code reader with a fault code reset button (i.e. it will extinguish the fault that was bringing on the light) I have one which I bought from Argos which I use from time to time and it works very well:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7402742/Trail/searchtext>FAULT.htm

Note: This device will only work on petrol cars from 2001 and diesels from 2004 onwards.

It costs £20 more now than when I bought mine a few years ago but it represents good value for money to me. There is a more expensive version available but I think you will be fine with this one! If this all fails then you may have to bite the bullet and visit the main dealer, but as suggested a good independent Peugeot garage might be best to make your pound notes go further.

Good luck ;)

there is 2 pink cables and 1 green and yellow cable under each seat if i was to loop the cabels back to them self would that turn the airbag warming light off or would that set the airbags off ??

there is 2 pink cables and 1 green and yellow cable under each seat if i was to loop the cabels back to them self would that turn the airbag warming light off or would that set the airbags off ??