petrol/diesel sender fault!!

minx23

Tuner
Car
mondeo zetec s tdci
hiya, me again, yes i dont have much luck with cars as u may av noticed, im here again askin for advice lol!!:blink1: ok, i usually run my car on around half a tank of diesel, but for the last 2 weeks ive had it full to the brim, i put some red-ex in on friday...3 days ago, not that i think its anything to do with that, but this morning, i got in my car, and as soon as i started engine my petrol light came on and it said tank was empty... so there was me cursing every bleeder under the sun for nicking me diesel, and sayin a few choice words lol:lol: but i still drove it to my parents 2 n half mile away waiting for it to conk out on me. luckily for me it made it there, so i filled it up with about 2 gallon of diesel i had up there, turn the ignition and gauge still said empty!!! so im kinda thinking, maybe some swine didnt pinch it and maybe my petrol/diesel ( duno if ya call it petrol sender if its a diesel lol) sender is faulty.... is this an expensive job, or does anyone think it may be something else....thanx in advance, as always !! :embarrest:

I've had this on a few vauxhalls and it was either a bad earth or faulty sender. They usually need to empty the tank to fix it. Use your trip computer to see how many miles you have got out of a tank and you'll have an idea how much fuel you have left.;)