Personal co-driver system

jc denton

Track Warrior
Car
MR2
Here's an idea.

Who thinks it would be a good invention to have a GPS device to act as a co-driver? OS maps show the turrain so why couldn't a GPS device be devised to show the hills & dips in the roads? also the width of the road if possible.

I have my satnav on all the time because it shows the road ahead.

Would it not be f'$%^g cool to have it describe the corners to you like a co-driver? heirpin left, 4 right, dip, ect.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
The Sat-Nav won't tell you anymore than the road signs.
And no the Sat-Nav won't tell you about the stopped car just over the brow of the hill. The one that you may just plow into as your too busy looking at the Sat-Nav when you could of just took notice of the road signs and kept your eyes on the road.
I'd rather keep my eyes on the road rather than rely on a Sat-Nav.;)

sat navs do my head in now. id end up chucking it at bridge on the m-way doing 80, just to make sure it breaks. thats if it starts doing right 90 and all that. lol

simple dont drive as fast on the public roads ;)

if you cant see whats round the corner, or how sharp the corner is, then adjust your speed.

its fine saying the sat nav can show you how sharp a corner is but can it give you the the info you actually need, is there a car doing 20mph round this corner.

as some of the others have said ill leave the sat nav to give me the directions and ill watch the road

Its not good enough to say dont drive fast if you dont know the road, some people just won't be told.

Maybe it would do some people good to wreck their pride & joy, but they could kill someone ells.

(The amount of times I've nearly been hit by someone coming round a corner on my side simply because they where going too fast to stay on the left).

The more info you have the better. & for the price of a secondhand satnav I'd say there's no better safety device.

You're absolutely right. Most accidents do occure because people hit something IN the road! & a satnav won't tell you about that.

But Some accidents happen when a person (usally a youngster who thinks he's colin mcrae) loses control, or enters a tight corner too fast, ect.

As I said before, the more info the better. & no single device gives you as much info as a cheap GPS stuck to your windscreen.

A Sat Nav won't stop your average moron from stacking his/her car within the first week of ownership.
A Sat Nav will NOT slow your average moron down either.
I know I sound harsh but these type of people cannot be educated.
I do use a Nav for journeys that i've never done before but even with the Sat Nav in the window I don't need it to tell me what kind of bend is next. I need it to tell me where the next exit or turn off point is. Thats the whole point of Sat Nav's to direct you. You yourself should be able to judge the road ahead and adjust your speed accordingly. And always remember anticipation is key.

HDi was involved in a very serious RTC in June 2009. It was a frontal impact at nearly 60mph. HDi got away lightly. Minor physical blemishes, yes, but psychologically and emotionally it hammered HDi very hard.

Cause of RTC?.... Other driver emerged from side road directly ahead of HDi. HDi was on the major road and HDi had about 3-4 car lengths' worth of braking space.

Last edited:
HDi was involved in a very serious RTC in June 2009. It was a frontal impact at nearly 60mph. HDi got away lightly. Minor physical blemishes, yes, but psychologically and emotionally it hammered HDi very hard.

Cause of RTC?.... Other driver emerged from side road directly ahead of HDi. HDi was on the major road and HDi had about 3-4 car lengths' worth of braking space.

but HDi is fine now tho, aint u ? ;););) :lol::lol:

open to most ideas but not this one, drivers dont pay much attention to the road as it is (not saying all but some/most) now to have a satnav tell you what kind of bend is coming up would make people EVEN more lazy and worse/r drivers as it is.

people learn via mistakes, if your on a road and you underestimate the corner and god for bid injure/kill someone then one, youll be shook up but, at the end of it all you will learn your lesson.

if you had these kind of satnavs then i can guarentee more people would be looking/listening for the satnav more than watching the roads.

use your eyes to drive your lights to lead the way and common sence to tell you if your going to fast for your ability/corner.

OK - let's get some stability on this topic.

Any extra information has to be good. We will all use extra clues to forewarn us things that cannot be seen directly. For example: shop windows can offer reflections; sunlight casts shadows etc. and this information can give us an early warning of something.

These sources, however, are NOT conclusive. And nor is a SATNAV system with a live map. It can be used to complement your other direct senses and this is a good thing.

But would you rely upon this exclusively to commit to a corner at a chosen speed or commit to an overtaking manoeuvre?

I doubt it. I wouldn't.

When it comes to speed cameras or mobile LidAR speed traps then there is one simple workaround. Stick to the speed limit.

There's a regular one [mobile van] around here on the A421 Tingewick bypass. Plenty of vision, time to see it, and slow down. Yet people STILL get clobbered at 90mph and complain. What are they doing at 90mph if they're not looking ahead??

OK - let's get some stability on this topic.

Any extra information has to be good. We will all use extra clues to forewarn us things that cannot be seen directly. For example: shop windows can offer reflections; sunlight casts shadows etc. and this information can give us an early warning of something.

These sources, however, are NOT conclusive. And nor is a SATNAV system with a live map. It can be used to complement your other direct senses and this is a good thing.

But would you rely upon this exclusively to commit to a corner at a chosen speed or commit to an overtaking manoeuvre?

I doubt it. I wouldn't.

When it comes to speed cameras or mobile LidAR speed traps then there is one simple workaround. Stick to the speed limit.

There's a regular one [mobile van] around here on the A421 Tingewick bypass. Plenty of vision, time to see it, and slow down. Yet people STILL get clobbered at 90mph and complain. What are they doing at 90mph if they're not looking ahead??

here here!!
me personally if on unfamiliar roads and using the satnav i do use it to forewarn me of the road layout, exits of roundabouts and quite regularly the over and under passes of birmingham city center
but dont get me wrong i dont constantly stare at the satnav whilst doing this just a quick glance is usually enough
icon12.gif

here here!!
me personally if on unfamiliar roads and using the satnav i do use it to forewarn me of the road layout

but dont get me wrong i dont constantly stare at the satnav whilst doing this just a quick glance is usually enough
icon12.gif

Thats what I'm talking about! alot of people on this forum dissaproving but they seem to be miss understanding me.

DO NOT STARE AT IT!...USE IT AS A GUIDE!!...TIS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR WINSCREEN!!!.

Can people be trusted to just use a device like this as a guide? When you see what people end up doing when they rely on their sat nav too closely I shudder to think.

I think most drivers on here would use it properly and just take it as it was intended, a guide.