Perodua Myvi sport 1.3 engine fault!!

o5blitz786

Car
Perodua myvi sport
Hi people

I’m new to this forum I have recently brought a Perodua myvi and it has the engine management light on also has problems starting when I switch it on sometimes it starts sometimes it don’t usually turning the engine over 3 times gets it going. Also I have taken it to the mechanic they told me it’s not the camshaft sensor or the crank sensor but the timing chain has stretched and the car timing is not in sync

Can you please advise me on what to do

What is the mileage on this? Does it idle ok? Do you have flat spots in certain RPM ranges?

Replacing the timing chain and tensioner are obvious suggestions but as is often the case there may be more at play here and the longer you leave it the more likely you are to have further issues with it.

If the timing chain was recently changed it may have not been fitted correctly.

This can also be caused by an o2 Lambda sensor fault, it happens a lot on these when you use lower octane fuels or low grade fuels, they really need the higher octane and better quality fuels.

Basically a mechanic has told me the timing chain has stretched and is of set a little which causing that problems them re wired the car as well as the previous mechanics fitted a new engine without wiring it correctly it seems to drive fine after that now no misfire but engine management light still on

I'm guessing they have tried a reset of the ECU to clear the faults? As @thexav suggests it could be a Lambda sensor problem which is quite common, but this is going to be impossible to diagnose remotely.

Are the cams correctly aligned? Is the engine running rich/lean - that might indicate where the problem lies - more facts and info always helps?

Well basically they have told me the timing chain has stretched and also the timing is out ever so slightly which is causing the engine management light to stay on it was misfiring a little previously but they changed the maf sensor and it’s running all fine now the only thing is the engine management light will stay on but the car runs fine but I did notice one extra thing the petrol gauge tells me there is no petrol but after driving it down the road and turning it off and on it tells me it’s got half a tank and the car seems to be drinking a lot of fuel £10 70miles

With the timing out is quite likely going to consume more fuel.

Personally i would get the timing chain replaced, it seems this will fix your issues according to your mechanic. A vernier pulley would allow fine tuning of the cam rotation, but to fit that you have to remove the chain so it's not worth just doing that mod.

If it is running rich I suspect the catalyst is likely to be the next thing to go so get on this ASAP.

The newer 1.5 is quite a nice engine, but you should also swap the gearbox.

The K3-VET is a good swap if you want more power, that turbo makes all the difference.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back