Performance Tuning a Diesel

vellagar

Car
toyota glanza
I was just wondering about tuning diesels.
Apart from all the basics......including turbocharging, supercharging, reboring, lowering cylinder head and intercooler what else is an effective way to fine tune a diesel?

http://www.ottewilly.plus.com/pug306/technical/tuningtd/tuningtd.html

follow that guid for tuning a 306 1.9 DT...might work for the 205 dt as well.....

they don't have ECU's so it's a spanner and allen key job...

also it's worth while disconneting you egr valve and taking the particulate filter (some call it a cat but it's not) out of the exhaust then the real gains can be seen sometimes up to a 40 hp and a 60 lbft increase in power given the right turbo and fuel pump combo (bosch pump and garrett GT15 turbo both OE parts)

old engines aren't all bad but most say the engine that this old engine was the first diesel that was worth the noise and the smoke....
because it was resonabley quick and very reliable...

Lot of truth in that. The mechanical diesels were bulletproof. Perhaps we've gone too far now? You certainly can adjust the wastegate actuator mechanically to increase boost. You also need to increase the fuel pump's boost compensation so that you offer more fuel to burn in the extra oxygen provided.

I just happen to prefer the clinical approach that ECU remapping offers.

My 406 is a good example. 2001/02 model year, ECU remap raised it from 136 to 192bhp.

And the torque is absolutely silly to the point that it will spin front wheels in 3rd if you press too hard.

Theres Pro's and con's for everything...
I choose the old XUDT over the new HDi for a few reasons...
1) my grandad had one (306 XUDt) and it never missed a beat and he sold it to his mate with 300k on it?!?! and my uncle had one and almost the same story...but he got rid when it got to 70k....
2) cheaper to buy, was my first car and i'd jsut turned 18 so i hand't got much in the way of money.
3) Much more reliable, I heard some pritty scarey stories about those early HDi units....
4) cheaper insurance, (just) 18 years old 0 NCB jsut under a year of driving expiriance ..... and it's a group 5...i think you can work the rest out...

however the hdi did have some very good qualitys

1) They faced lifted the car when they introduced the HDi engine and it looks better,
2) fuel economy hdi got about 50+ mpg (offical figures) mine gets 46 mpg and i do a lot of motorway driving
3) The gains off a remap and very high....and reatains the fuel ecomomy
4) You don't have to wait about 3 days for the glow plugs...
5) extended service life...if you went for the fully sinthetic oil you wouldn't need to do the 6k oil cahnge before the 12k service....

I was jsut fourtunate enough to find one with really low milage and a full service history (used to belong to a granny lol)

Jsut thought of something....a 306 with a VW1.9 PD150 engine in it....that would be a very good combination....the brillant engine with and brilliant chassis....

The PD 150 is rough compared to the 16 valve 2.2 HDi engines which have balancer shafts etc.

The 2.2s are very different to the 2 litre ones, silky smooth and almost silent.

yeah the pd engine is a nice unit however does sound alot like a tractor.

I still rate the PD engines. The early 115bhp was not very impressive at all, the even earlier 110bhp TDi was smoother and quieter, if not quite as lively.

VW has subsequently abandoned the PD system in favour of common rail injection. It's questionable as to whether this was a good move - I suspect it was to do with ever tightening emission control legislation.

Whenever you mention the HDi units everyone thinks of the 2.0 90 and 110 bhp engines.

The 2.2 HDi16 is a very different beast. Some would say ahead of its time. Possibly it was.

I still rate the PD engines. The early 115bhp was not very impressive at all, the even earlier 110bhp TDi was smoother and quieter, if not quite as lively.

VW has subsequently abandoned the PD system in favour of common rail injection. It's questionable as to whether this was a good move - I suspect it was to do with ever tightening emission control legislation.

Whenever you mention the HDi units everyone thinks of the 2.0 90 and 110 bhp engines.

The 2.2 HDi16 is a very different beast. Some would say ahead of its time. Possibly it was.

SO it's best jsut to get the 2.2 hdi transplanted into my old dt then?

maybe I get get a bigger turbo for that....

mind you I do know a guy who would fit it for me...and do a good job...

Last edited:
Matt Jobling of Pug1Off in Brackley. 01280 701919

He's your man. Whether the 2.2 will fit under the bonnet without some structural mods is doubtful. Mr Jobling will be able to accomplish this.

You might have fun finding an engine - most likely source is a crashed Coupe 2.2HDi.

Mine's tuned to 192bhp with nothing more than a remap. And over 320lbft torque!!!

It goes very nicely.

performance tuning a diesel engine is actually simple!
pump more fuel into it, untill it smokes heavy, when loaded,, then add more air/turbo/supercharge untill the smokes starts to subside, then pump more fuel ,add air and so on,,untill the engine expires, build another engine and dont go as high on fuel!
little known fact with Diesel fuel is peak torque happens at peak black smoke?

hola como estas, tengo un motor nissan qd32t dentro de una chevrolet k5 blazer 1982, cuenta con una caja de 5 velocidades de nissan patrol y61 y juego de diferenciales de 4.88, llanta 33 "rin 15, mi motor es turbo y cuenta con bomba de inyeccion mecanica de nissan td27 de alta presion, quiero mejorar el rendimiento de mi motor y poder sacar muchisomos mas caballos de fuerza, me gustaria por favor que me indicaran que kit me recomiendan o que turbo, o modificaciones me recomiendan para aumentar la potencia de mi motor, muchisimas gracias, espero su respuesta

Hi, how are you? I have a nissan qd32t engine inside a 1982 chevrolet k5 blazer, it has a 5-speed box transmission from nissan patrol y61 and a set of 4.88 differentials, a 33 "rim 15, my engine is turbo and has a pump High pressure nissan td27 mechanical injection, I want to improve the performance of my engine and be able to get much more horsepower, I would like to please tell me which kit you recommend or which turbo, or modifications you recommend to increase the power of my engine, thank you very much, I await your response

does it smoke when accelerating hard, if yes get a larger turbocharger (more air).
if little smoke , then increase fuel dilivery, some injection pumps have adjustable fuel output!
a person who is familier with the pump could examine and know!
maybe U-TUBE check for Nissan diesel performance site!
good luck with unusual car!