Performace Mods

I'm extremely intelligent yet I still struggle with telepathy.

So, please do tell me what the Mazda 3 is like in diesel form.

I've not had the opportunity to drive one. Further, I'm in no hurry to do so. Unless, that is, you tell me that I must do so in order to form an opinion of that car.

I suspect that a test drive won't set me alight.

Given what you've said about it why would I want to bother test driving it?

And I wasn't interested in doing so in the first place.

And, yes, I am having a 'dig' because you invite such 'digs' (your choice of words, not mine).

And I 'aven't 'ad a dig at anyone for a while.

So let me 'ave me dig in peace, please. :):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mate dig away. ;)
The Mazda was ok. TBH it was a car that I had thought about myself but now i've drove one i'm glad I chose the Focus. But saying that it was a pleasant drive and it did handle quite good. It shifted when you wanted it too it was really ok to drive. But like I say before my personal preference is a longer rev range. I just like to hear an engine screaming. I'm unsure of the engine size of it as I didn't bother to find out. What diesel models does the Mazda 3 with? If it was a 2.0 i'll be very dissapointed with it.

I think it's quite little. 1.5 ish, derived from Renaults little creation for the Clio and latterly used in the Micra dCi.

They were never designed for performance but they're bearable.

I think it's quite little. 1.5 ish, derived from Renaults little creation for the Clio and latterly used in the Micra dCi.

They were never designed for performance but they're bearable.

If it was somewhere around a 1.6 then it wasn't that bad. Like I say it was pretty nippy. I did enjoy thrashing it round for the day anyway. I was glad to get the Focus back though.

To the Op, my generic remap on my 130PD Bora took me to 170bhp/290lbft and it only cost me 150 quid.

The chap who did it can also do you autolocking/windows, miles to empty, that kind of thing.

And yes, it is very swift midrange. Turbo comes in a little earlier and last a little longer.

If you want details PM me.

Took my car into dastek to get the MAF fitted again then it put on the dyno to make sure it was awrite then to get it mapped, should be simple for a place like there eah?

Well got a phone call 2 hours later, your turbos blowen!

Turns out according to dastek the turbo was faulty then the new MAF sensor was putting in the right amount of air and fuel it cause the turbo to over spin a bolt came off then basically the turbo has blowen and oil is every where and i cant drive my car.

Been down a few times and they are taking no responsibility so might have to take it further and im towing the car out of there to put a 2nd hand turbo on it then it will have to go to VW to get a FULL service so when i get it mapped ( not by dastek ) it will be awrite.

I hate dastek they also blew up 2 of my mates mates subarus one was because they never put the fan on when it was on the dyno dunno about the other one. Anyways dastek are s***e don't go to them ATOL!

It does look a bit questionable. Challenge 'em and see whether thay want ot contribute to the repair costs.

A summons to small claims court might awaken their interest in doing so if simple discussion doesn't work.

They have a duty of care and if they're blaming the condition of the car before it went onto the dyno then they should not have put in on there in the first place.

Regardless of what their ts and cs say you have a pretty strong case for a contribution to the repair cost.

And also bring in the fact that the MAF wasn't faulty after all desipte their diagnosis. Kind of throws question onto their general ability.

Let me know if you'd like some help with this.

Cheers,

P.

I hate dastek they also blew up 2 of my mates mates subarus one was because they never put the fan on when it was on the dyno dunno about the other one. Anyways dastek are s***e don't go to them ATOL!

And you still went there? Bit of a bad move wasn't it mate? Dastek is a brand name anyway as far as I know, you went to a franchised dealer more than likely, so it's that particular one you should be avoiding, not Dastek altogether!

Sounds liek the oil seals have gone if there's oil everyone. Unfortunately stuff like this happens on the dyno. The cars are worked very hard even on power runs, so there is an element of risk regardless. It may well not be their fault, the turbo might have been on it's way out anyway, you were having a generic remap, nothing boundary pushing.

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but just telling it like it is. I'd have stuck around for the runs and remap rather than leaving the car with them.

Referring to my previous post the operator still has a duty of care and should meet some of the repair cost.

Buddy if it went on the Dyno then he would of had to sign a form for consent. And it also states that the garage that do the Dyno take no responsibilty whatsoever if something breaks or blows up whilst on the Dyno. You could try and argue it but if they have that piece of paper signed by the customer then I don't see them helping to pay for anything.

A piece of paper with a signature upon it is not necessarily going to leave the dynamometer operator completely clear of responsibility. Regardless of the Ts and Cs to which that piece of paper makes reference. A signed contract is not automatically binding.

For the most part I think that the dyno operator in this case has little about which to worry given the fact that the car's owner has not had it for very long.

If I were presenting the case to a court, indeed, conducting my own case, then I would call into question the dyno operator's overall ability given the complete mis-diagnosis with regard to the MAF and the subsequent statement that the turbo was faulty.

It's not necessarily incriminating evidence but it might lead one to think that the operator wasn't quite as thorough and professional in his methods as Dastek's literature might lead one to believe.

So, has Dastek mis-represented its services and skills, perhaps? I don't know as I'm not privy to all of the information but the question should be submitted.

I know that this case is unlikely to go beyond a small claims hearing but the laws pertaining to the suitability, continuity, and integrity of evidence must still me met.

It's up to RoryP, if he chooses to pursue this, to ensure that he, too, presents everything without exclusion or oversight.

Both parties are privy to the other party's evidence in accordance with the Freedom Of Information Act 2005. If compliance isn't met then it's very likely that the whole case will collapse with the defendant's representation urging the court to record a verdict of there being 'No Case To Answer'.

It's very hard to 're-visit' a case closed in such a manner.

Been down a few times and they are taking no responsibility so might have to take it further and im towing the car out of there to put a 2nd hand turbo on it then it will have to go to VW to get a FULL service so when i get it mapped ( not by dastek ) it will be awrite.

Worrying. I was planning on going to these guys in the next few months. They seemed sound on the phone and have heard good things from people in my owners club
eusa_think.gif

NO i honestly wouldnt go to dastek. Thinking bout taking them to court. I had been worned before hand that thy are a bunch of cowboys. I went in got great advice from the guys so decided to DRIVE it in, 4 days later TOW it out.........

Ive heard there have been some very good cars that have came out of Dastek but also some very bad ones.

Ive heard theyr only worth going to if you have a Jaspanese, i dont wont to make your decision for you but i would honestly have a think, they seem a great bunch of folk and know theyr stuff but all it takes is one wee thing to go wrong then you might end up like my self and have to take it as far as ill have to.

Also im not going to be putting a breand new turbo on the car. Going to go second hand should get one for bout couple of hundred bucks. Should i still get it mapped etc with a 2nd hand turbo, i was looking at doing a project in about 4 months, buying a focus new shape ( square ish ) then turning it into and ST: Bodykit, wheels, brakes, enginge turning, exhaust etc

Or do i keep the golf and do it with that i just dont want any more problems with the golf

I think you should challenge them. You can't segue straight to court without making a civil claim.

I would do this first of all:-

Ask them to repair the car for you. Don't kick their heads in yet. Keep everything civil and non-compromising. It would be reasonable for you to pay for the parts as clearly the turbo wasn't brand new but I'd expect them to meet a significant proportion of the labour charge, say up to half.

This isn't as scary for them as it sounds because they can provide labour at cost price rather than retail price.

If they're willing to do this then you've reached a mutually convenient compromise and need go no further.

Lot's of garages will do this as they don't want the embarrassment of being sued, successfully or not.

If this doesn't work then you will have to ask them for a letter outlining why they're unwilling to help you. Refusal to supply one will work in your favour.

Give them a call, and suggest what I've suggested above. If they don't want to know, then write a letter the garage, detailing what you want them to do and outlining why you feel that are partially responsible for the damage to your car.

Importantly this letter must be WITHOUT PREJUDICE and you must make this clear to them. This preserves your right to persue them formally should they try and make a lower offer, for example.

Let me know how you get on.

If it's a blank then we'll look at some other options.

Cheers,

Paul.

Ok guys, just going to have to forget bout what happened with dastek and getting my car on the road shortly. Thats a long sotry cut short.

Anyways im looking in the new year time to be getting another car. Was looking at a BMW 320d or a 330d. The 330 is a fair bit more to insure so think i will go for the 320.

On the car i was looking to be modding it as im not going to touch the golf.

I was looking to do, a remap, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, M3 exhaust with de-cat pipe.

My question is - will this blow up my engine? Ive been told as ill be getting an 07 or 08 plate ( depending on price ) the car will be around 1-2 years old and im looking to get it with low millage but ive still be told that i could blow my engine with all the extra power. Is this true and how can i stop it ?

If everything is installed properly and set up properly then I don't see why you would blow your engine up? Who told you that anyway?
Kept in good condition with quality oil and serviced regulary I can't see a prob with it mate.

Ok guys, just going to have to forget bout what happened with dastek and getting my car on the road shortly. Thats a long sotry cut short.

Anyways im looking in the new year time to be getting another car. Was looking at a BMW 320d or a 330d. The 330 is a fair bit more to insure so think i will go for the 320.

On the car i was looking to be modding it as im not going to touch the golf.

I was looking to do, a remap, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, M3 exhaust with de-cat pipe.

My question is - will this blow up my engine? Ive been told as ill be getting an 07 or 08 plate ( depending on price ) the car will be around 1-2 years old and im looking to get it with low millage but ive still be told that i could blow my engine with all the extra power. Is this true and how can i stop it ?

You won't blow it up.

Keep the servicing up to date and make sure you use a LOW ASH SYNTHETIC OIL. You can't easily de-cat one of those as there's also a particle filter to consider and the change of back pressure will confuse the ECU.

The latest 320d will tune to 205bhp with a monster 316lbft of torque. The problem is that with a modded car you'll pay more insurance. You might be better off with a 330d in factory tune for a couple of years.

Once your insurance comes down a bit then go and get that remapped and you'll have a 450+ lbft monster with nearly 300bhp as well

Celtic tuning quote over 500lbft for a 335d and 345bhp. Tempted?? That would flatten a 6-cyl M3

Until it ran out of revs. :lol:

I doubt that would matter much when it's delivering nearly twice the torque at half the revs and more peak bhp as well. Just that you'd be driving the d between 1500rpm and 4500rpm, the petrol is more likely to work best between 5000 and 8000rpm.

Look at the above though, you can treble your road speed in one gear in the d car. In the petrol one you're only increasing it by 1.6 times.

Actually, scrap the last bit - 335d is auto only.

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/Car T...d-320d-330d-ecu-remap-chip-engine-tuning.html

Last edited:
Just had a look at insurance for the 330, think ill go for the 320 haha. I have a mate that owns a 320d, 04 plate and has had it mapped then drove a 330 and sayed he coiuldnt really feel a diffrence any more.

So im looking to get the 320 then get a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, remap, M3 exhaust. Will i need a new head gasket ? piston rings? anything else that may blow up?

Also would it be better getting a petrol as people say petrols are always faster or is that complete bull #!#!#!#!#!#!?

diesels quicker in midrange - likes of overtaking

There are quite a few petrol-powered cars that don't lack mid-range acceleration. My old 327i managed 30-70mph in just on 6.0 seconds.
That wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the league though. :)

Whats the diffrnce between all the BMW 320d ?

Also how many seconds will it take off my 0-60 well i wouldnt be going off a line so say 30-60 ?

The Mods im doing are bigger injectors, bigger trubo, bigger intercooler, M3 exhaust system, Remap and mibye a 100hp Nos kit ( just to use once in a blue moon )

How much extra power am i looking to get out of that.

I think the 320d is 150 bhp standard not sure about torque.

an 07 plate 320d shout be around 163bhp

differnces between the 320d old models had around 130 up to the newer 170 models.

how much extra ? cant say mate you could fit an absolutly huge tubro and be pushing 400bhp (granted you may have to do more work) or just a slightly bigger one to get 250

also there were some issues with weak engine in the 320d but i think these were the earlier 01-02 models but youd need to check.

of course I am for real. 370bhp for £2k plus and no time wasted or money down the drain are you for real, whats wrong with that

you buy a diesel because you cant afford the petrol or just want good mpg to save money then want to spend money on trying to make the diesel like a petrol, why not just buy a petrol in the first place. and if you are after mega bhp buy a mega bhp car in the first place, it's the cheapest option and no doubt diesel drivers want the cheapest option. so yeah i am for real!

" What's the payments on that like then?"

Last edited:
the insurance on a mod'd 320 will be more than a standard 330, and why spend all that cash and time modding a 320 when it's allready been done on a 330. Also the 330 will be easier to sell and keep better residuals. Saying that a huge hit on depreciation will kill any money you think you may save on mpg. actually the derv codts so much more than a petrol unless you do real high mileages a new derv is not economical at all. buy at 4 years or older to miss a huge hit in the wallet

Derv engines almost always cost more to service as well.

It's not the economy choice it once was was.

Neither is it the slow choice either.

Different strokes etc.

RoryP is on a bit of a mission. If he succeeds he'll have one very rapid Golf. And probably one of the least economically viable performance cars ever.

I, however, wish him luck in his plight.

No probs. I just worked out something. 4 years ago my friend purchased a new Audi a4 tdi for £19k. diesel as it gave better mpg. i think roughly 10 pence per mile in fuel. Now say a 370 bhp XJR costs 20 pence per mile. with the depreciation over the 4 years the Jag has worked out to be cheaper. at 100k miles the diesel has cost him £25k so far let alone servicing. The jag would have cost him about £22k. New diesels in no way economic to run. apart from that the time he baught the Audi I purchased a plot of land for £19k, it trippled in price in 3 years. so the Moral of this story is don't do deprecation and buy land

No probs. I just worked out something. 4 years ago my friend purchased a new Audi a4 tdi for £19k. diesel as it gave better mpg. i think roughly 10 pence per mile in fuel. Now say a 370 bhp XJR costs 20 pence per mile. with the depreciation over the 4 years the Jag has worked out to be cheaper. at 100k miles the diesel has cost him £25k so far let alone servicing. The jag would have cost him about £22k. New diesels in no way economic to run. apart from that the time he baught the Audi I purchased a plot of land for £19k, it trippled in price in 3 years. so the Moral of this story is don't do deprecation and buy land

I've kind of hot around to that way of thinking as well. Unless you MUST have the silly torque output of a diesel (especially a remapped one) then there's not a lot in it cost wise.

Sadly though, all motoring is expensive, even in something like a basic 1.4 Astra you'll still be stung by ever rising costs.

Rgds,

P.

A second hand diesel which has done most of its depreciation curve will be a bargain but to buy new, any car new is crazy. 4 years old at the newest. I baught a 2 year old 156 V6 for something like £17k less than it was new. I kept it a year and lost on it as well. never again. Prestige cars with high mileages are the way to go. My old SEC500 cost me £2k (it was a 91 as well) new that cost £75k (the price of 2 decent houses when it was new). Good looking car but not as nice to drive as the Soarer ltd I owned before it