Performace Mods

yeah well i think ill get an oil change this week hopefully think im going to phone celtic this week try get the map for saturday. Does it matter if i do oil after remap? How do i clean injectors?

Also i have been told that the engine is only used to 115 bhp and 210 lb/ft torque and im planning on taking it to atleast 170-180 and over 300 lb/ft torque. I heard that i will end up blowing the engine.

What parts go eg pistones, valves? do i need to replace them at somepoint?

Also is there a BIG diffrence between the 115 and 150?

Most engines are sort of DEtuned from the factory for a number of reasons. It won't blow up at all, I'm sure Celtic have mapped dozens of these.

I'd do the oil and run some injector cleaner through it beforehand. It's nothing major tbh and far from necessary but you might as well make the most of the remap. You won't need to replace any engine parts for this remap.

There is a big difference between 115 and 150 but as said the biggest difference you will notice will come from the torque. It's an overweight car but mid-range 300lb/ft will feel like a kick in the back of the head.

Also, we're talking PEAK figures here. You should also have a much better power and torque curve, smoothing out and flat spots etc. This results in better all-round drivability too.

Yeah well im going to : replace the MAF, clean the panel filter, block the egr valve, possibly do the oil if my mate has time, shove some injector cleaner through it, do the remap, get a exhaust with de cat pipe.

SWEET!

Unless all the mods are done before the remap so whoever does can take them into account. But a don't think you'll get much more than whats been quoted. Give it a go and let us know. You never know we might all be suprised. Including yourself. Keep us posted on progress buddy.
mate the exhaust will not free much power at all cause already stated the exhaust is already free flowing as standard and the filter the same
i have seen many diesels tuned on scn and no matter what mods (other than turbo upgrade) they still hit the figures quoted above !!!!

yeah ive heard this its just diffrent people saying diffrent things.

I did noticed though my mate had a car mapped by celtic then shoved the exhaust on and you felt that, didnt have to wait on the torque the minute the foot was down you were in your seat!

Also is there a BIG diffrence between the 115 and 150?

Yes there is. Off the top of my head the following differences

Turbo
some of the turbo plumbing
intercooler
pancake pipe
injectors
oil sprayers under the pistons to aid cooling
Sodium filled valves

quick check also turned up the block itself is different ( at a guess different oil ways for the additional sprayers)
crank
bearing shells
conrods

got board after looking through loads of diagrams and part numbers, proberly alot more as well as theres 3 flywheels avalible for the 1.9

There's no need to inhibit the EGR valve really. They only cause problems in cars that are driven on miniscule journeys whereupon they become contaminated with soot.

Please, please go and get the car serviced and get the faulty MAF fixed.

And then please do get Celtic to work their magic on it. You will not be disappointed.

yeah ive heard this its just diffrent people saying diffrent things.

I did noticed though my mate had a car mapped by celtic then shoved the exhaust on and you felt that, didnt have to wait on the torque the minute the foot was down you were in your seat!

Yes, the free-flowing the better exhaust wise for a turbo car imho. The free-er flow of gases through the turbo will result in less lag, sometimes considerably depending on how restrictive parts of the exhaust are.

So, you may not gain any moe power but what noon's told you is that you may lose a fair bit of lag.

You certainly need a short path from ex manifold to the turbo. After the turbo is not desperately critical as the turbo itself does a cosmic job of slowing down the exhaust gas flow. This, sadly, add to the laggy feel that turbo cars can exhibit at times.

It's something that's been largely overcome with the advent of variable vane turbos. Mine uses a Garrett AiResearch T3 (I think Garrett is now owned by Honeywell) which is of this type.

But there's still a little bit of spool up time, only a couple of tenths of a second but it's noticeable all the same. It really throws drivers who aren't used to the car.

After the turbo is not desperately critical as the turbo itself does a cosmic job of slowing down the exhaust gas flow.

Speculate all you like but dozens of times I've seen first-hand the effects different exhaust components can have on the street and and the dyno ;)

I'm not actually disagreeing with you. All I've said is that it's not in need of urgent attention ahead of such things as intake improvements.

Turbochargers themselves present a massive backpressure load to any engine but virtue of how they work. Like everything else, it's a set of compromises, that's all.

i think dastek are trying to bump me. They sayed my car is only putting out 74 bhp and 170 lb/ft torque and its my MAF sesor thats nakered and the flexi part of the exhuast is blowen.

I have a new MAF sensor but dont have to tool to get into the screws, grrr. Also went into dastek to get a quote for the new flexi part. He sayed i need i to be a whole new front pipe and will be about £130 when i went to another garage and they sayed they will weld the flexi bit back on for about £60 and fit my new MAF free of chanrge for me :D

That's very nice of them. If they do a good job, make that place your first port of call for any further basic work imo. It sounds like a lot of power to lose, but some cars struggle to run at all with a fubared MAF/AFM.

You need a special tool to change a MAF sensor? That's not the first time I've heard bad things about these newer VW engines tbh. Everythings electrical this and diagnostic that and desiged so that you have to take half the engine apart if you want to change anything. VW's attempt to keep people coming back to the stealers for even minor things. Or so I've heard, not actually tinkered with one myself.

Anyone else have any views on this? I know a fair few of you have got VW's. I'll have to have a fiddle with my mates new Bora.

so is it possible to just replace the flexi part of the exhaust or do I need a whole new front pipe?

Also with the MAF sensor it's like a star screw but with a see nipple in the middle.

so is it possible to just replace the flexi part of the exhaust or do I need a whole new front pipe?

Also with the MAF sensor it's like a star screw but with a see nipple in the middle.
yes you can replace the flexi part

and when i replaced my maf i used a cheap screwdriver and bit set from wickes and i used this bit

basically a flat head with a notch cut out

Can anyone tell me parts that are
Most likly to go on a engine/car that's not used to putting out that much power. Mods:

Panel filter
Egr valve blocked
Turbo air intake ( I think it's called )
Remap
Full sports exhaust
De cat pipe
2nd intercooler so the car is running on 2.

I know the pistons may go. Can I upgrade them?

Also I know the clutch can but what else may blow/stop working?

Mate your pistons will be fine, the 1.9tdi is a strong engine internally. It's things like turbo/intercooler hoses that you need to check.

If you want the engine and the turbo to last, change the oil every 5k/6 months and keep it topped up in between.

Mate your pistons will be fine, the 1.9tdi is a strong engine internally. It's things like turbo/intercooler hoses that you need to check.

If you want the engine and the turbo to last, change the oil every 5k/6 months and keep it topped up in between.

Even more importantly make sure you let the engine idle for 2-3 minutes before switching off. This is critical to avoid turbo bearing damage. Be gentle when the engine is cold, as well.

I've just been back into dastek and they sayed they would do the remap for £350 instead of £400 and I already have the MAF sensor and they will fit it free of charge. So it's booked in tomorrow. Only one question will a blowen flexi on the exhaust effect the outcome of the remap?

I've just been back into dastek and they sayed they would do the remap for £350 instead of £400 and I already have the MAF sensor and they will fit it free of charge. So it's booked in tomorrow. Only one question will a blowen flexi on the exhaust effect the outcome of the remap?

I'd say it depends on how badly it's blowing.

well dastek quoted me around 161 bhp and 400 nm of torque. I'm just not wanting to come out and be told it's only putting out 145 or something due to the flexi part of the exhaust. The guy at dastek sayed it won't but you can hear that it's blowen.

You need a special tool to change a MAF sensor? That's not the first time I've heard bad things about these newer VW engines tbh. Everythings electrical this and diagnostic that and desiged so that you have to take half the engine apart if you want to change anything. VW's attempt to keep people coming back to the stealers for even minor things. Or so I've heard, not actually tinkered with one myself.

Anyone else have any views on this? I know a fair few of you have got VW's. I'll have to have a fiddle with my mates new Bora.

alot of the screws on the VAG cars use torx head ones (mainly size 20). some of the engine parts, such as the maf, use the security version of them. i got a set of the security ones for around a tenner

same issues on most o the engines

coolant temp sensor, brake light switch and mafs ate the things to watch out for

It's the electrics I've heard most complaints about. With regards to the flexi, chances are a blow in the wrong place could cause turbulance and reduce gas flow, as long as it's after the lambda I can't see it affecting the mapping but it might reduce overall powers and torques by a few. Can't see it having a significant affect though and getting it fixed after the map will restore and lost power/torque (if any).

Bottom line, don't worry about it. :bigsmile:

awrite cheers guys so it shouldnt effect the outcome of the remap?

Was looking around another forum and a guy got his golf remapped ( was mibye a gti thogh not a gt tdi ) and was asking what mods o do after. Anyways i took them and hopefully can get some help.

Generic Remap - I take it this is what im getting tomorrow? costs £400 will take up to roughly 161 bhp and 300 lb/ft torque. Same map one each car ( well model eg 115 etc )

modified air intake - whats this? an induction kit? how much are modidied air intake, do they increase power? I already have a pipercross panel filter?

turbo intake pipe - how much are these and what do they do?

exhaust - speaks for it's self

custom remap - whats the diffrence between this and the generic Rema, why do i need another?

A generic remap is where the just re-flash the ECU with a generic map lol. I don't know how to explain it. Basically it's just one (Golf in your case) map used for every car (Golf) but probably developed from one standard car. It's generic so it doesn't take into account any mods that you've made, except those compensated for (in slight) by the ECU.

A custom map I doubt they will build from the ground up. Instead they will load the generic map and tweak it to take into account your exhaust, air filter, uprated turbo etc etc. This map will be better but more expensive as it takes more time to change, obviously.

Turbo intake pipe is pretty self explanatory boss, the pipe that runs from your air filter/box to the turbo. Often they are a funny shape with a couple of sharp bends, are not smooth inside, are very narrow or something along those lines. Changing for a better flowing one can improve the turbos intake of air, through and from the filter.

I'm new to the forum and I apologize in advance if this seems abrupt but... Your really over thinking this! Get it remapped, the difference will really surprise you! Then look into the rest of the options. I hope you enjoy the performance increase!

Yeah I just can't seem to get it in my head the power differnce in getting approx 46 bhp and 80 lb/ft torque. A mate told me he was in a 160 bhp 300 lb/ft torque skoda fabia and the 30-50 was 2.5 seconds. Now that's quick. Very quick. I normally just use first as a gear to get me started anyways would like to see how 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th pull though. What you think the 30-60 will be 3.5 seconds? Mibye less? Need to wait and see :-D

Yeah I just can't seem to get it in my head the power differnce in getting approx 46 bhp and 80 lb/ft torque. A mate told me he was in a 160 bhp 300 lb/ft torque skoda fabia and the 30-50 was 2.5 seconds. Now that's quick. Very quick. I normally just use first as a gear to get me started anyways would like to see how 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th pull though. What you think the 30-60 will be 3.5 seconds? Mibye less? Need to wait and see :-D

It won't be 3.5 but it'll quite possibly be under 5 seconds. Remapped diesels do bloody well shift. It's something the 'petrol only' community doesn't grasp for the most part.

You'll also find that you can hang on to 4th gear on a twisty road and negotiate series' of bends with aclarity. Much as I hammer on about midrange this does extend well into speeds in excess of the UK limit.

You'll get stacks of shove even just pedalling a bit at over 90mph. If you run out of revs then there's still two more gears left to go. And it'll take off nicely in those gears as well.

It won't be 3.5 but it'll quite possibly be under 5 seconds. Remapped diesels do bloody well shift. It's something the 'petrol only' community doesn't grasp for the most part.

You having a dig at me Hdi buddy?:lol: Cause you know I'd have something to say didn't you. ;):lol::lol:

I actually had a Mazda 3 the other week as a courtesy car and that was Td and don't get me wrong it was pretty nippy but I still prefer the long rev range that a petrol offers. It is only my personal preference.

You having a dig at me Hdi buddy?:lol: Cause you know I'd have something to say didn't you. ;):lol::lol:

I actually had a Mazda 3 the other week as a courtesy car and that was Td and don't get me wrong it was pretty nippy but I still prefer the long rev range that a petrol offers. It is only my personal preference.

I'm extremely intelligent yet I still struggle with telepathy.

So, please do tell me what the Mazda 3 is like in diesel form.

I've not had the opportunity to drive one. Further, I'm in no hurry to do so. Unless, that is, you tell me that I must do so in order to form an opinion of that car.

I suspect that a test drive won't set me alight.

Given what you've said about it why would I want to bother test driving it?

And I wasn't interested in doing so in the first place.

And, yes, I am having a 'dig' because you invite such 'digs' (your choice of words, not mine).

And I 'aven't 'ad a dig at anyone for a while.

So let me 'ave me dig in peace, please. :):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: