Perfomance brake drums???

Wcnwzrd

Track Warrior
Car
95 300zx TT (RIP)
Hey all,
I need to do a brake job on the wife's kiddy wagon (Minivan) and was wondering if anyone could point me to a good set of drums. I can get OEM ones but would really like something a bit higher end as I'm putting slotted/drilled on the front with some EBC pads. If the rear are in the same condition as the front then I know they needed replaced about 2 pads ago (only had the van a year so not my fault).

I have been looking around and can only seem to find Raybestos finned and I really don't like them (personal reason) Should I go with just OEM as most of the weight and braking force is up front and just get quality aftermarket pads or upgrade them. Not looking at a disc conversion so please no links to those.

Vehicle Info if needed:
'97 Aerostar 2WD 3.OL engine

I'm asking here instead of the ford forum as I also need a set for a 78 Datsun 200sx (i know most likely a pipe dream) Mods please move if you feel the need.

Why not convert the rear drums to disks? Drums are pretty inefficient compared to a disk and for not a lot of money you can do a major brake upgrade. You'd only need a smallish set of disks on the rear.

Yeah surely there are rear disc models you can "borrow" from or even from other models from ford that will fit without much trouble. Other than that I think Mintex do better quality drums.

Be cautious with EBC pads. I had a bad experience with them 7-8 years ago. Overheated the rear discs under firm usage and left stress fractures.

Don't want to do a conversion due to the cost/hassle involved. I only plan to have it until November or January and can't see sinking the cost of a conversion into it. The front rotors had about 1/4" gouge out of them when I went to change a flat the wife got. Haven't had a chance to check the drums though. Going with the performance disc up front due to the cost being about the same as OEM ones. (up about $20 each)

true but taking into account the amount of work I really didn't feel like it. Don't matter much any more as the wife totaled out the van the other morning. Wasn't used to the new breaks and slid into some jerk who cut her off. No injuries thankfully but now it gonna go to a yard as I don't think a new radiator/headlight/turn signal/bumper/hood/fender is really worth it at the moment. Not to mention all the time it will take to straighten everything out and get it back to plum for a minivan that was gonna go to pasture at the end of the year anyways.

A dealership here in town has a nice 99 Chevy Suburban with a 5.7L VTEC V8 engine. All leather interior and 4 wheel drive. Also has 2 drop down dvd players installed already so saves me some money there.

Attachments

• 5bb8c93ed8_640.jpg
    5bb8c93ed8_640.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
Nice, we couldn't have anything like that over here, the tax man and the oil man would rape us! £1.35 per litre, or $8.80 per US gallon!!!