People don't use their brains in the snow

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've seen some pretty poor driving today. I think that a lot of people switch off thier brains when driving on snow.

I find that most people are reluctant to pull over into a snowy area and let a car pass.

Priority on hills to cars coming up is even more important in the snow and ice.

So many people think they can solve wheel spin with greater acceleration.

Is it just me or has the everyone gone mad with the snow?

Of course it is.

If you have ABS then you can stop instantly. If you have stability management or traction control then even better, just drive about as you would normally.

Take special care not to look more than 5 yards ahead and you'll have no problems at all

I made the mistake of parking the 406 on the side of a road the other night and ended up getting stuck. The left wheels were in a rut and getting clogged with snow and i couldnt move. People were watching. :embarrest:

In the end i got out by spinning the wheels all the way into third to get out. Silly i know but it worked. Felt like such a prat.

Luckily i have a driveway at home that isnt sloped. Just getting to the point of boredom having to continually dig out the car when i want to go out.

Unfortunately I also need to use the car to get to work and i have to get to work (emergency services) so i cant sadly cant take a "snow day"

I was looking for that video after seeing in the paper and couldnt find it.

Thats a shocking bit of road that. Not great driving either. :blink:

Hi HDI!!!

I have ABS, traction control system too! I agree with you that you can stop more quickly than other cars but you still have to think of braking before on snow and especially ice!!! Today, I braked in a sudden way only driving 30km/h and the car just slid. Abs kicked in and it stopped but it stopped a little longer. Also, I have snow tires!!!

So, IN THESE SNOW CONDITIONS MORE CAUTION:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

:lol: I did follow HDI's tips and didn't fare very well. Did I miss something out?

That you tube vid was a bit of a surprise. I don't think I would have jumped out of the car. I wonder what happened to the car at the end of its slide.

this is the end resualt waynne
damage2.jpg

Traction control systems cary widely in their abilities. Usually this is proportional to vehicle price.

Generally traction control and stabilty control systems are not optimized for snow and ice. They're designed, for example, to assist a smooth exit from a damp T-junction, for example. Or to assist if you over corner on a fast bend in the dry.

Frequently you'll get better results by switching it off in bad conditions.

Hi-tech systems such as Nissan's and that fitted to the Jaguar XF are very impressive and will flatter your driving in all conditions.

TCS I find it very effective in acceleration on snow and ice though;)

Some are superb. I was only generalising when I said that car purchase price is often a guiding factor.

I am a big proponent of driver aids in general. Some are better than others, stability management is probably the most variable of all at this point in time.

All will do their best to stop you falling off the road but often simpler systems are very invasive in normal driving.

Some are superb. I was only generalising when I said that car purchase price is often a guiding factor.

I am a big proponent of driver aids in general. Some are better than others, stability management is probably the most variable of all at this point in time.

All will do their best to stop you falling off the road but often simpler systems are very invasive in normal driving.

I agree with you mate!!!

pg your bora probably has the same esp setup as my leon and i have to agree my car is so much better without it on!!!

yeah its the same version. its quick to detect the slip, light starts flashing, but slow at cutting in. ie you feel the slip and componsate but the ECU does it at the same time so it bogs right down