Peeling lacquer on bumper.

CJJ

Car
MGTF160 + Focus ST
Hi.

We have a 2008 ST2 in performance blue.

Have noticed lately that the lacquer on the front bumper is peeling of in areas up an inch long.

I have heard this is a common problem but was wondering if anyone else is suffering from this?

Any idea how much to get a bumper re lacquered?

The paint is fine.

va55y

Wrench Pro
Car
clio mk2 ph1 1.2
its probably been DIY coded.

needs a good coat of lacquer! looking at about £100..

CJJ

Car
MGTF160 + Focus ST
It was an ex demo from Ford, 6 month old.

I've heard a few stories of the bumper peeling on bought from new Focus STs.

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
My mate works at a Ford dealership & I remember him telling me when they sticker up a demo car & it's time to sell it on they remove the stickers re-laquer the car & put it up for sale.

I'm not saying that's what's happened here but it could be. Either way if the car's six months old & the paint work is not up to scratch then take it back & get it sorted under the warranty. That's what I'd do anywhoo. :bigsmile:

va55y

Wrench Pro
Car
clio mk2 ph1 1.2
I'm not saying that's what's happened here but it could be. Either way if the car's six months old & the paint work is not up to scratch then take it back & get it sorted under the warranty. That's what I'd do anywhoo. :bigsmile:

agree.

CJJ

Car
MGTF160 + Focus ST
It was 6 month old when we bought it. It's a 2008 model.

Probably the most we have spent on a car and the one that has the most minor niggles.

The Ford paintwork warranty is only 1 year.

I cannot believe that you can pay 25K on a car and only have 1 year warranty on the paintwork for defects.

highland

Car
CarTucsonVanVivaro
Hi.

We have a 2008 ST2 in performance blue.

Have noticed lately that the lacquer on the front bumper is peeling of in areas up an inch long.

I have heard this is a common problem but was wondering if anyone else is suffering from this?

Any idea how much to get a bumper re lacquered?

The paint is fine.

The whole lot will have to be rubbed down primed base-coated and lacquered ..Im afraid its quite common with Ford bumpers ...If you'd bought a Mazda you have a 3 year warranty :confused:..also good to know is if your Alloy wheels show signs of corrosion on VWs Mazda BMW Mercs etc have 3 years warranty and Honda have 5 (Fords Vauxhall Pugs etc 1 :(

highland

Car
CarTucsonVanVivaro
more then £100 then :confused:

Depends how much peeling ...Is it just on a corner or is it all over :?:..If its just a corner it can be limited to that area Focus ST has nice fade out area around the front grill, try searching for a smart repairer in you area. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

highland

Car
CarTucsonVanVivaro
Depends how much peeling ...Is it just on a corner or is it all over :?:..If its just a corner it can be limited to that area Focus ST has nice fade out area around the front grill, try searching for a smart repairer in you area. :D

Hi loz sorry about link but its a good one a variety of good smart repairers franchised and independent that guarantee their work ...CJJ make sure you get a guarantee if you go that route ;)

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
Hi loz sorry about link but its a good one a variety of good smart repairers franchised and independent that guarantee their work ...CJJ make sure you get a guarantee if you go that route ;)

That's ok, it's just that if you have less than 10 posts then when you write post with a link in it goes straight to the moderation queue, it's a measure to dissuade spammers from the site (cos we don't like them). ;)

Last edited:

highland

Car
CarTucsonVanVivaro
That's ok, it's just that if you have less than 10 posts then when you write post with a link in it goes straight to the moderation queue, it's a measure to dissuade spammers from the site (cos we don't like them). ;)

No problem Loz :)

highland

Car
CarTucsonVanVivaro
If its just the one bit in the middle of the bumper a good smart repairer should be able to keep that repair small and save you having body shop respray the whole bumper ...when I get up to 10 posts I'll try and post the link for you ;)..theres one that covers Durham Sunderland and North east on the map :D