paul

paul kendall

just bought a4 1.8t ,am delighted with smoothness of engine and motorway cruising is top notch,but acceleration is sluggish. theres no umph like other turbos ive had(rst,r5),am not sure if im getting boost even,am i in limp mode? anyone have any ideas? :sad2: cheers

Hey and welcome, nice to see another 1.8t owner.
Hw bads the 0-60 time ? you should be around 8 - 8.5 seconds. if its really bad disconnect your MAF sensor ( 1st connector after the airbox, will take a pic of the boras one think it uses the same just set out differently ) and see if that makes a difference.

This will make the car run on a standard map rather than an x dimensional one, as there is nothing to monitor the amount of air coming in at at what temperature.

The MAFs are pretty poor if the get even the slightest bit of dirt on them they will start to give lower readings to the ecu. you can clean them with solvent (carb cleaner) although this doesn't always work best to replace then. Have a look on VAGPARTS. dont go with the cheap things off ebay.

if disconnecting the MAF doesnt make a difference get it to a decent mechanic, who has an diagnostic scanner, to give it a scan for fault codes (Audi will charge you around £70 -100 for a scan alone, my local does it for £25 and i bought a copy of vagcom and a lead of ebay for a total of £65 now can scan it myself).

Hi Paul (we have quite a few Pauls on here already so this might get confusing!) Welcome to TorqueCars = I'm an A3 owner with the same 1.8T lump.

Getting the engine codes is the best way to track down something like this. You might find the diverter or wastegate is leaking or jammed open. You should get a power surge coming on from about 2000rpm right up to 5500rpm.

Hey and welcome, nice to see another 1.8t owner.
Hw bads the 0-60 time ? you should be around 8 - 8.5 seconds. if its really bad disconnect your MAF sensor ( 1st connector after the airbox, will take a pic of the boras one think it uses the same just set out differently ) and see if that makes a difference.

This will make the car run on a standard map rather than an x dimensional one, as there is nothing to monitor the amount of air coming in at at what temperature.

The MAFs are pretty poor if the get even the slightest bit of dirt on them they will start to give lower readings to the ecu. you can clean them with solvent (carb cleaner) although this doesn't always work best to replace then. Have a look on VAGPARTS. dont go with the cheap things off ebay.

if disconnecting the MAF doesnt make a difference get it to a decent mechanic, who has an diagnostic scanner, to give it a scan for fault codes (Audi will charge you around £70 -100 for a scan alone, my local does it for £25 and i bought a copy of vagcom and a lead of ebay for a total of £65 now can scan it myself).
hi pgarner,thanks for the advice.0-60 time is poor , well over 10 secs.tried cleaning maf,no change,like the idea of getting my own codes though!any chance you could give me more info on what lead and software and where from?thanks again for your help.

Hi Paul (we have quite a few Pauls on here already so this might get confusing!) Welcome to TorqueCars = I'm an A3 owner with the same 1.8T lump.

Getting the engine codes is the best way to track down something like this. You might find the diverter or wastegate is leaking or jammed open. You should get a power surge coming on from about 2000rpm right up to 5500rpm.
hi waynne,thanks for the advice.like you say will have to get codes.am definately not getting a power surge though.thanks again

If you do a search for VAGCOM and leads you will find the required parts to do your own fault code reading.

ross-tech.com for the software go for the 409.1 ( think thats the correct one 3xx is too old and 7xx requires rosstech cable £200 ish )
ebay for the cable should be around £15 including delivary.
the free version will allow you to check and clear fault codes although you have to go through each controller seperatly. also allows you to measure some blocks (1st 20 in the engine, over 200 in engine alone )

i'know this sounds far feched but try without air filter in. sometimes the breather pipe maybe blocked. i know what you mean with power surge from other cars but then again the lag on audi is very min compared to other cars and much smother too mate

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back