Passengers and seatbelts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Here in the UK it is law that all persons in a car must wear seatbelts. Failure to do so will result in the driver being fined.

Do you make sure your passengers wear their belts or do you leave it up to them to decide for themselves?

I've never really understood the drivers who resist wearing seatbelts and it seems to be a growing number of younger drivers that will simply not put on a seatbelt (because it restricts their movement!).

Usually have mine on, if I'm popping down to the lockup or something like that, literally about 300 yards away then sometimes I won't bother.

Here in the UK it is law that all persons in a car must wear seatbelts. Failure to do so will result in the driver being fined.

If passenger is under 14 then driver is responsible. 14 and over it is the passenger who will be fined.

If passenger is under 14 then driver is responsible. 14 and over it is the passenger who will be fined.

Sadly none of this stops a front seat occupant from being wiped out by an unrestrained rear seat occupant.

The rules in my car are simple.

Belts on or else you can get out and walk.

If you're unwilling to get out I'll happily 'assist' your exit from the car.

Having had a serious RTC June 2009 (60mph frontal) I can assure you that without a belt I'd have been seriously injured or killed. Despite the fact that the car had pre-tensioners, force limiters, airbags all over the place, front set, seat-sides, head curtains etc etc.

The massive bruising across my chest and abdomen shows how much force was involved in the collision.

Sadly none of this stops a front seat occupant from being wiped out by an unrestrained rear seat occupant.

The rules in my car are simple.

Belts on or else you can get out and walk.

If you're unwilling to get out I'll happily 'assist' your exit from the car.

The other option for the passengers is this,"walking is good exercise".lol.Or "belt up and shut up".

There is a worrying number of young drivers who think it is cool to not wear a seatbelt in our area!

*checks no one is looking*
i have a bad habit of not wearing my seat belt, and yes i am a "young" driver, although i feel more 52 not 22 at the moment.

i am wearing it more and more as i am trying to get into the habit of putting it on before i pull away.

i still don't know why i don't wear it. i don't think it's cool or anything like that.

i will however, if my plans go to plan, will be wearing my seatbelt in my project car... they will be 5 point harnesses in a street sleeper mk2 mondeo... but thats another thread. or will be when i have a better idea of what i'm doing!

Seatbelt on before I set off is second nature to be honest. Seatbelt, check gear is in neutral, start the engine and go, I dont really think consciously about it.

What does my nut in is those people who drive off without their belts on, "to save time", then proceed to drive at 5mph, veering all over the road as they try to fasten it with one hand. Beyond stupidity.

we dont live on the road, we have a short 200yard lane before we get to the road so typically i put it on while drinvg down this lane. but its always put on before we ar out on the road - likewise for everyone else in the car.

in vietnam the law only stipulates the driver must wear a seatbelt. it will be sometime before they insist on all occupents of the car wear belts - it was only 2yrs ago that they made it a legal requirement to wear a helmet on a motorbike!

But they crinkle my top! Just kidding. Always put it on, as soon as i'm in the seat. Second nature. Don't understand why people can't put them on. It's easy enough isn't it?

Here in India its just the occupants of the front seat. And like DpSubaru here,I usually put it on before entering a public road, and even glance over to the passenger to check.

No one has objected to it yet.

In fact my father wears the belt as soon as he sits in the car, and that is embarrassing sometimes, as I the feel why can't I..........

Saw an accident this last summer, 4 occupants, no belts. Sharp turn, unfamiliar road. Car out of control hits a lamp-post.

Front passenger gets away with minor bruises. rear seat passenger, driver side, shoots over the driver, breaks the driver's neck, and flies through the windscreen for an appointment with the post. both dead.(and the lamp-post)

Rear passenger on the near side, hits the windshield, broken nose, jaw, and a face full of shattered glass.

Both in ICU for 48 hrs.

I was just 10 yards behind them as they had overtaken me on the wrong side, at 60, thus the ring side description.

I am never gonna travel without the belt or allow anyone else to. too, at least when I am driving.

Even my 3&1/2 year old son buckles up as soon as he sits in the car. Because front seat is with belt, period! Else he can sit at the back.

Last edited:
If I have people in the car, all must be belted before I go. Have always done it. Don't care who is in the car, young or old. They all buckle up. I don't actually put mine on untill I've moved away tho :blink: when I park at supermarkets and in town and that, I park nose first, so when reversing ( and the lack of viz out the back window) I need to twist and trun to see out of all windown. As soon as I pull off, I belt up.

If you do something enough times it becomes second nature, which I'm pretty sure happens when you learn to drive. Think back to your driving lesson and I'm sure you weren't allowed to even turned the ignition without being belted up!!

(unless you're a golden oldie... :cheesy:)

My Dad took his test way back when in a P6 Rover V8, a classy, luxurious, powerful car for its time. He says he just bimbled around for a bit while the examiner sank into the leather seats and told him what a nice car it was.

As most have already stated, I don't move until all are buckled up. I have not had a passenger refuse, if I did they would be out on their ear! You have to think of the other people in the car as they will get hurt by those not wearing them.

As most have already stated, I don't move until all are buckled up. I have not had a passenger refuse, if I did they would be out on their ear! You have to think of the other people in the car as they will get hurt by those not wearing them.

What are you like /or do if you notice that one of your rear seat passenger had taken their seatbelt off while you was driving ? Eg Because they had taken there jacket of to remove phone etc from there pocket. But had not put there belts back on?

What are you like /or do if you notice that one of your rear seat passenger had taken their seatbelt off while you was driving ? Eg Because they had taken there jacket of to remove phone etc from there pocket. But had not put there belts back on?

Not had that happen, rarely have passengers unless family and they know the rules/law. Mother-in-law is the usual culprit, slow in getting buckled up. I just sit there until she gets a nudge or told to belt up!

There is a worrying number of young drivers who think it is cool to not wear a seatbelt in our area!

They will almost certainly be the same ones walking around with shoe laces undone .V(

I installed front belts in the car I had when they first became available and my girlfriend at the time refused to wear them'"because she couldn't sit close to me" <B

FYI She did wear the belts and 54 years later that was probably the last time I can remember when she took any notice of anything she was told to do by me :lol:

If I have people in the car, all must be belted before I go. Have always done it. Don't care who is in the car, young or old. They all buckle up. I don't actually put mine on untill I've moved away tho :blink: when I park at supermarkets and in town and that, I park nose first, so when reversing ( and the lack of viz out the back window) I need to twist and trun to see out of all windown. As soon as I pull off, I belt up.
How do you check that your passenger are wearing their seatbelt in the rear seat?

My mums A4 has warning lights for all the seatbelts, so it's quite hard to ignore it!