Passed my practical :d

myk1992

Car
No car yet
I'm so happy that i passed, first time :)
Now all i need to do is find some money and get a car and insurance :(.

OH, also, if i wanted to drive my mums car, would i need to be insured on it or would it just be ok aslong as i was given permission?

congratulations. please drive better than the standard i normally see when im in brentwood.

yes you need to be insured on it as a named driver UNLESS, for some reason, your mother has anybody allowed to drive it - very unlikely.

Firstly - CONGRATULATIONS - that's the bit I missed. Today's practical test is a veritable bastard compared to the one I took in 1987!!! - WELL DONE!

You WILL need to be insured to drive it. Whether that's because Mum has an any driver policy (and check age restrictions etc.) or because you're a named driver you MUST have cover.

If you own you own car and have comp cover most policies will allow you to drive any other car with the owner's permission on your own policy BUT you are covered for 3rd party risks only! if any other cover is in place then this does not apply.

Make absolutely certain you are covered to drive ANYTHING, whenever you drive it. Driving without adequate 3rd party cover is a serious offence - it can attract 10 points and even custodial sentences have been applied in aggravated circumstances when, for example, the car has been taken without owners consent (TWOC) and an accident has occurred.

Last edited:
If you own you own car and have comp cover most policies will allow you to drive any other car with the owner's permission on your own policy BUT you are covered for 3rd party risks only! if any other cover is in place then this does not apply.

One thing most companies dont cover under 25s 3rd party on other cars. i found this out after driving both my wifes ( then girlfriend ) and parents cars thankfully i was never stopped now a named driver on both policies even through i am 25 just to be on the safe side

One thing most companies dont cover under 25s 3rd party on other cars. i found this out after driving both my wifes ( then girlfriend ) and parents cars thankfully i was never stopped now a named driver on both policies even through i am 25 just to be on the safe side

Yeah, this a royal pain in the arse. I'm 24, and despite having fully-comp on both my cars - I cannot drive another car. I tend to use companies like 'Temp Cover' if I need to borrow a vehicle for the day.

I, too have to get a(nother) car since mine was destroyed in the RTA in June. It's a shame since I was fond of the 406 with its massively torquey re-mapped diesel engine and all the comfort it had.

I think I have to kiss goodbye to electric adjusting seats, self dip mirrors, etc. for the moment as my business is on its knees financially and I cannot afford another luxury car for now.

I'm thinking of a buying another Seat Ibiza perhaps - we've got a 1.9D which is OK and quite well equipped. If I can find a TDi one with 100bhp, ABS and A/C that'll do me for a year or two.

I, too have to get a(nother) car since mine was destroyed in the RTA in June. It's a shame since I was fond of the 406 with its massively torquey re-mapped diesel engine and all the comfort it had.

I think I have to kiss goodbye to electric adjusting seats, self dip mirrors, etc. for the moment as my business is on its knees financially and I cannot afford another luxury car for now.

I'm thinking of a buying another Seat Ibiza perhaps - we've got a 1.9D which is OK and quite well equipped. If I can find a TDi one with 100bhp, ABS and A/C that'll do me for a year or two.

paul have you any idea what yo will get from your insurance payout??
cause if you let members know im sure we will find you a decent car for the price;)

Congrats on passing. Now the real learning starts.;)

Start off with a modest small and old car as this keeps the premiums down then in a year or 2 you can get something nice and shiny!;)