Passat adding turbo to non-turbo engine

wootang

Car
passat 1.6l petrol
Hi! I am looking for as much information as i can get. About putting turbo in my 1.6l petrol passat. What parts do i need, is it possible is anybody did that before?
Can't wait for the answers....

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. Anything is possible the question is though is it economically viable.

To run a turbo on the 1.6 passat you will either have to run a low boost or lower the compression ratio of the engine. Option 1 means little gain from the turbo and option 2 means a lot of expenditure.

The turbo needs to be plummed into the exhaust and intake side so you will need custom manifold you will also need a supply of oil to the turbo to help with cooling and lubrication.

The cost of a good turbo conversion kit (if available for the passat) would be in the region of £3000-£4000. For this money you could source a cheap VR6 engine and drop that in and still have a couple of grand to spare. This willl also give a bigger power gain and be more tunable than a turbo conversion.;)

I hope that helps.

I was thinking taking all parts from 1.8l turbo engine. Engine looks exactly the same as mine. And i got price from scrap yard 350eur.

hey mate, your post got stuck in the moderation queue for some reason

the 1.6 and 1.8 engine are completely different mate. if you can just take the whole engine and fit that. the 1.8t was fitted as standard to the passat.

Ye and probably gona be cheaper as well. What about the computer and all electronics i have to change it as well?

yeah youll need the ECU, engine wiring loom, instrument clocks if you can get it suspension and gearbox as i doubt the 1.6 gearbox and clutch will be able to handle that much extra torque for very long.

might also be worth looking to seehow much you could get a 1.8t passat for and sell the 1.6. this would save you having to change all the car documents and cheaper insurance

Mmmmm. Ye thats what i was thinking before somebody told that there is possibility to
get turbo for my engine. :)

This is classic "buy a quicker car" territory. While I love modding there does come a point...

Awesome GTi quoted me £9500 to twin-turbo the W8 with remote turbos. Shortly after that I decided an R36 was a better way to fuel my hunger for acceleration..!