Parts for competition use only or not road legal

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on performance parts labelled as "Parts for competition use only or not road legal"

Are they dangerous, just not approved for road use or does it indicate a manufacturer with no confidence in their product?

On the other hand if it's for competition use only you assume it will be stronger but then a lot of competition cars are stripped and rebuilt each season or race to maintain the tolerances.

I recall a fast road cam that was so worn it lost loads of valve lift to the point where performance was seriously impaired. It turned out the metal used was softer and was intended for a season use only. I guess softer metal must have some benefits but I struggle to see why you'd want a softer cam lobe!

The suspension parts I sell are engraved with 'FOR RACE USE ONLY'. Although they are stronger than the OEM parts they replace they haven't been tested and approved so I could be liable if something happens. When racing you expect things to break :)

What are your thoughts on performance parts labelled as "Parts for competition use only or not road legal"

Are they dangerous, just not approved for road use or does it indicate a manufacturer with no confidence in their product?

On the other hand if it's for competition use only you assume it will be stronger but then a lot of competition cars are stripped and rebuilt each season or race to maintain the tolerances.

I recall a fast road cam that was so worn it lost loads of valve lift to the point where performance was seriously impaired. It turned out the metal used was softer and was intended for a season use only. I guess softer metal must have some benefits but I struggle to see why you'd want a softer cam lobe!

Then why was it called a fast ROAD cam? Methinks that you were fobbed off :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back