Parachutes

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Anyone on here have any experience of drag racing chutes?

Looking for a suitable chute to stop a 150-180mph 650kg car fitted with 4 pot calipers at front and 2 pot at rear.

The Simpson Air Boss chutes are pretty highly regarded by a few chaps I've spoken to but I think they are a US made chute. If I can find a supplier I'll let you know.

The Simpson Air Boss chutes are pretty highly regarded by a few chaps I've spoken to but I think they are a US made chute. If I can find a supplier I'll let you know.

Thanks Waynne The 8 foot Simpson chute is around $800 in the States, although this does come with a pneumatic launch system.

DJ Safety systems do similar for $690

Using the formula quoted on Jegs (weight in lbs x trap speed divided by 1000) yields a 2 digit number, your max trap would yield 257 odd. The chutes are rated and you pick one with the appropriate rating.

I know you quoted some spec on your callipers but not much info on the brake system itself. Personally I use TBM brakes (The Brakeman) I use the Tornado F3 and F1 callipers which are also 4 pot and 2 pot. The rotors are the Revolution 11.75" x 0.5". These were more than man enough to stop me (3256 lbs) at nearly 160 mph, even though I have a chute I have only ever pulled it once to learn what to expect should I ever need to pull it.

André

Hi-Spec calipers, no vacuum assistance. Rotors are drilled solid steel. Dual master cylinders.

Chute is needed as I anticipate exceeding 150mph but reckon brakes will be sufficient (standard Elan brakes were fine from 119mph)

Bought one of these whilst in the States last August, 8 foot.

8' square should be fine for your weight and trap I would have thought. Afterall a chute is not there to bring you to a standstill but to assist you braking system.

I would have thought the right pad compound for your steel rotors is probably more important than the chute itself.

André

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back