Painting plastic seals?

cheryl_88

Torque Junkie
hello,

any 1 got any ideas about painting the plastic seals on the outside of the car, my boyfriend has a white saxo, with black panels, looks naff!

would it jus be the case of takin them off, rubbin down and paintin. any1 had any experience??

Needs to colour code!!

James is the guy to ask - he's a painter by trade and really knows his stuff. Read his article in the main site under styling for a few pointers on plastic painting.

Do you mean the weatherstrips, at the bottom of the windows ect.?

I wouldn't paint them for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if you are using a solvent based paint, it could eat into the rubber and cause sealing issues. Secondly, I don't know if you could get the paint to stick to the rubber very well. You'd definitely need to use a flex additive, otherwise the paint will crack (which it may do anyway, even with flex additive.)

Basically, if you don't have to paint 'em, don't paint 'em.

Bumpstrips. It'll be alot easier to buy another set, paint them and then fit them, rather than mask the original ones and paint them on the car, but if cost is an issue, the latter will be ok.

Is it going to be a DIY job?

It would be quite striaghtforward if you were planning on a simple colourcode, as you say, a case of rubbing down, primer, paint laquer. Be sure to add as many thin coats as possbile, leaving ample drying time in a dust free environment.

The main issue arises when you realise they don't look that good with the 'rough' finish wich Citroen leave on the black rub strips.. I'm referring to that of a 'VT' kit, rather than a base model. If this is the case then they need to be rubbed down until they are smooth, which can take hours! Either way, I think it works out cheaper and more effecive to get it done professionally, uness you have sufficient equipment to avoid using rattle cans at home..

They could be high build primed, then flatted down to a smooth finish before painting. That's a hell of a lot easier than sitting there for hours rubbing down lumps of plastic.

I think there are several clips holding them on. You might have to slide each trim forward to release them, but I'm not 100% sure. Use a piece of rigid plastic to pry the trim forward before committing yourself (you could break the clips.)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back